Titanium seatpost that is all titanium

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
mikeymo

Re: Titanium seatpost that is all titanium

Postby mikeymo » 19 May 2019, 11:12am

pwa wrote:I've had a few seatposts fail, .....

Kind of scares me really. My weight, mileage and usage suggests I won't have fails due to fatique or sudden stress. And hopefully buying from a reasonably decent manufacturer will reduce the possibility of manufacturing faults.

But out of interest, what material were they made of and how had they been used?

Thanks

De Sisti

Postby De Sisti » 19 May 2019, 11:44am

mikeymo wrote:
mattsccm wrote:I have a Chinese one that I think is all Ti. The clamp most certainly is very very tough, so not a cheaply alloy. Bolts were Ti and crap.

Thanks, do you have a name for it or a link?

Try xacd.com. I have a titanium frame from them, purchased in 2005. Still in good nick. They do titanium
seat posts and bolts too.

mikeymo

Postby mikeymo » 19 May 2019, 12:11pm

De Sisti wrote:
mikeymo wrote:
mattsccm wrote:I have a Chinese one that I think is all Ti. The clamp most certainly is very very tough, so not a cheaply alloy. Bolts were Ti and crap.

Try xacd.com. I have a titanium frame from them, purchased in 2005. Still in good nick. They do titanium

Thanks. The name XACD rang a bell, so a quick search of my recent internet history found this:

http://www.pardo.net/bike/pic/fail-001/FAIL-121.html

It's one instance and I've no axe to grind one way or the other. And it's not a seatpost. Though interesting to read a post from somebody closely connected to the whole thing.

Your experience is good, obviously.

Though I can't work out how to actually buy anything from that website! Ah, right, it's via alibaba:

https://xachangda.en.alibaba.com/?fbclid=IwAR2WY8R_D_IYVyIeMvqsOU_1tqNJaeawsuyh3udc8vA6uT_-P6v-erOVmrE?fbclid=IwAR2WY8R_D_IYVyIeMvqsOU_1tqNJaeawsuyh3udc8vA6uT_-P6v-erOVmrE

De Sisti

Postby De Sisti » 19 May 2019, 6:38pm

This is my xacd titanium frame bike with titanium forks. No issues at.

foxyrider

Postby foxyrider » 19 May 2019, 6:51pm

have a look for 'J&L Titanium Bicycle Seatpost' on Ebay. Full Ti< available in different sizes and lengths.

I have two of them - on my Airnimal and the carbon toy neither of which are spared bad roads! The newer one is now @ 5 years old, the first @ 7 with no issues whatsoever, they are using the original Ti clamp bolts still. As for cutting them down, well they are quite thin walled and it only took me a few minutes with a standard hacksaw to do the job (it did get pretty warm mind!).
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!

mattsccm

Postby mattsccm » 19 May 2019, 7:37pm

That's it! J & L.

mikeymo

Postby mikeymo » 19 May 2019, 9:41pm

mig

Postby mig » 19 May 2019, 10:28pm

De Sisti wrote:
mikeymo wrote:

http://www.xacd.com.cn/propic_show.asp?id=234

and saddles :shock:

pwa

Postby pwa » 20 May 2019, 5:42am

mikeymo wrote:
pwa wrote:I've had a few seatposts fail, .....

Kind of scares me really. My weight, mileage and usage suggests I won't have fails due to fatique or sudden stress. And hopefully buying from a reasonably decent manufacturer will reduce the possibility of manufacturing faults.

But out of interest, what material were they made of and how had they been used?

Thanks

Aluminium alloy. The first was made by X-Lite, a brand focused on making light bits and pieces and the tube wall was thin, so that is what I blamed, along with the fact that I had a heavy Carradice bag pulling at the rear of my saddle. But then two others broke, one being a fairly thick walled thing from Thorn. No off-road use, no crashes, and while I am tall and heavyish I am not at the extreme of the weight range. Needless to say I now avoid very lightweight seatposts and I no longer dangle heavy loads off the back of the saddle.

Don't be too alarmed though. No seatpost failure has caused me to crash, or even lose control. I'd be much more worried about bars failing.

Edit. As an afterthought it occurs to me that if i were looking for a seatpost made with a titanium tube, I would be happy about the material but less happy with it having a welded construction. I'd much sooner have a bonded on alloy clamp with no potentially dodgy weld.

mattsccm

Postby mattsccm » 20 May 2019, 7:39am

Not mine but possibly same supplier. Mine has 2 bolt head. That looks nicer.

mikeymo

Postby mikeymo » 20 May 2019, 7:45am

pwa wrote:Edit. As an afterthought it occurs to me that if i were looking for a seatpost made with a titanium tube, I would be happy about the material but less happy with it having a welded construction. I'd much sooner have a bonded on alloy clamp with no potentially dodgy weld.

That's a good thought. As Titanium needs careful welding (in the absence of oxygen?) and the failed forks appeared to be blamed on poor welds, you make a good point. The USE Sumo is titanium with aluminium head and talks about "3M bonding".

Thanks

alexnharvey

Postby alexnharvey » 20 May 2019, 12:27pm

I wonder where one could buy a nice two bolt seatpost head to bond into a suitable tube?

mattsccm

Postby mattsccm » 20 May 2019, 9:05pm

I had a carbon post with such a head. Ancient. Eventually the head started to wobble so I yanked it out, fliiped the post to get a fresh end and Gorilla glued it in. Been on my rough stuff bike since early 2018

Gattonero

Postby Gattonero » 26 May 2019, 10:10am

mikeymo wrote:I am finishing last year's bike build. The seatpost was borrowed and needs to go back to its donor (bike). It's a touring bike in Reynolds 853 (at least the seat tube is). 27.2 dia. Looking at how it's set now there is 430mm from the rails to the first bottle carrier bolt. There's about 25mm setback, but I could probably get away with less, as the B17 saddle is getting towards the part of the rails where they flare outwards.

I'd like titanium (or even steel?) because it's the only other material, with steel, that has a fatigue limit. But most titanium posts seem to have aluminium clamps.

Are there any ti posts that have ti clamps?

Does it matter?

And/or what does anybody think of this:

http://freshtripe.co.uk/nitto-s84-lugged-seatpost-27-2mm/ (though probably too much setback for me)

Spa have these, which look OK.

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s84p2814/USE-Sumo-Titanium-Seatpost-long

If your worry is longevity, I won't think about titanium as a "silver bullet", rather the design and quality of the seatpost itself.
I.e. some people would still believe that carbon fiber is made exclusively to crack and injure the rider, and a carbon fiber seatpost with alluminium head ought to be the worst thing ever done. Truth is, a quality one may be incredibly strong: the older Campagnolo Record/Chorus carbon seatposts were very strong indeed, I've seen people breaking frames while trying to remove a seized one of those :mrgreen:

So if I was you, I'd stay away from cheap titanium seatposts, just like cheap carbon ones. There's nothing wrong with alluminium saddle clamps, as long as they're done properly: often you will see that saddle clamps are very small and create a pressure point on the saddle's rails.
I.e. if you look at the Thomson saddle clamp, it has a generous area to distribute the stress, and even if using two M5 bolts is pretty good for a lightweight part.
It's a shame that Campagnolo doesn't do their seatposts anymore, one of them is a Centaur with steel shaft that is good looking and solid, and wasn't too expensive back in the day...
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...

BrightonRock

Postby BrightonRock » 27 May 2019, 4:23am

The Campagnolo Ti posts pop up on eBay now and again but they do tend to command a price premium. Probably about the same as the JL above, but Campagnolo quality..