Running 135mm hubs in a 130 frame

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
TrevA

Running 135mm hubs in a 130 frame

Post by TrevA »

Running 135mm hubs in a frame built for 130mm hubs. Will this cause any problems long term?

I’m currently running a set of Deore hubs in my Alu Btwin 520. I have to spring the frame a bit to get the rear wheel in but will it do any long term damage to the frame?
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Brucey

Re: Running 135mm hubs in a 130 frame

Post by Brucey »

it might; I'd respace the hubs a bit narrower and redish as necessary. It is not that difficult to do, and if you take out 3mm that ought to be enough.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

It's probably okay, but it can be a bit of a crap shoot with aluminium. If there are any points in the back triangle that are already marginal when it comes to material properties, it might be enough to cause premature fatigue failure.

Personally, I would think it is better to modify it or get one in the correct size.

That said, have you measured it? Is it actually 135? You might measure and find that it's actually undersized.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

To insert a wider hub in an alluminium frame will also cause the dropouts to wear their faces.
Just respace the hub and cut the axle (or put a new one) and dish the wheel accordingly.
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
BrightonRock

Post by BrightonRock »

I've tried this in an aluminium frame before and it wasn't a problem, however it was a very good quality Alu frame, a cheaper one might not be so forgiving..
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

It doesn't really matter the quality, as the type of alloy can vary greatly in abrasion resistance (for wear of the dropouts) and the given elongation of the base material +the shape of the tubing (for ease of fitting a wider hub).
All in all, a "better frame" may just end up in a more expensive damage. One more reason to do things right in the very first place.
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...