Clicking noise from rear hub when freewheeling

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
NEvans

Clicking noise from rear hub when freewheeling

Post by NEvans »

New bike; Pinnacle Arkose R1. Approximately 200 miles. Constant clicking noise when freewheeling, which I believe is from the rear hub. It is a Novatec 32H 2 sealed bearing 12 x 142mm. Has this been happening from the outset, I really don't know. Should I be concerned and/or need to do anything about it?

Thanks
Newton's first law; Large body mass and weight equals fast going down hill but slow going up,
So blame Newton not me when you're bored waiting at the top of the hill.
Brucey

Re: Clicking noise from rear hub when freewheeling

Post by Brucey »

about one tick per revolution? First (and easiest) check is for loose spokes in the rear wheel.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Is it not the noise of the pawls, some free hubs are noisy than others particularly when new.
NUKe

Post by NEvans »

Brucey wrote:about one tick per revolution? First (and easiest) check is for loose spokes in the rear wheel.

Good thought but no, a constant clicking when I stop peddling.
Newton's first law; Large body mass and weight equals fast going down hill but slow going up,
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Is this a wind up?
It’s the freewheel or are you saying it’s over and above the freewheel
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
NEvans

Post by NEvans »

NUKe wrote:Is it not the noise of the pawls, some free hubs are noisy than others particularly when new.

It is likely to be the freehub mechanism, it is just loader than I would expect for new equipment. Could it be a case of cleaning and lubricating?
NEvans

Post by NEvans »

Paulatic wrote:Is this a wind up?
It’s the freewheel or are you saying it’s over and above the freewheel

This is not a wind up (a wind down maybe). It is when I'm moving and stop peddling (ie. freewheeling) there is a noise that only occurs when I am not peddling. It is just louder than I would expect it to be, and wondering if action should be taken to ensure no damage is being done.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Is it louder than a Campaq freewheel? Can usually hear their distinctive sound from way off.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

some freewheels in some hubs are crazy-noisy. If you don't like the racket (personally I like them quiet not noisy) then a shot of SFG into the pawl space usually shuts them up without affecting pickup.

cheers
NEvans

Post by NEvans »

Brucey wrote:some freewheels in some hubs are crazy-noisy. If you don't like the racket (personally I like them quiet not noisy) then a shot of SFG into the pawl space usually shuts them up without affecting pickup.

SFG; Is this Foam oil? And can you recommend one. Thanks
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

SFG = semi fluid grease. Two commonly available versions are

1) an aerosol version eg 'carlube 100+ aerosol semi-fluid grease' and
2) land rover SFG meant for the swivel hubs in land rovers.

The former is convenient to apply since it can be squirted anywhere more or less and the latter is brilliant for highly loaded parts and parts that you definitely don't want to corrode.

If you don't have any SFG, for this application you can mix oil and grease until you have something that is the consistency of tomato ketchup, i.e. it flows very easily when disturbed, but a small dollop won't quite flow under its own weight. Oil will work too, for a while, but it will tend to come out of the hub if the seals are in any way less than perfect and this will make a dreadful mess.

What you definitely shouldn't do is to apply a typical (~ #2 consistency) grease to a mechanism with spring-loaded pawls in it and expect it to work properly.

cheers
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

NEvans wrote:New bike; Pinnacle Arkose R1. Approximately 200 miles. Constant clicking noise when freewheeling,

Thanks

I really do think you are worrying about nothing, but if you think it really is wrong return to the dealer/lbs and ask , you should be due your first service, which is usually free.

Honestly I think your just feeling a little protective toward heras she is new.
NUKe

Post by iandriver »

You could take a video spinning the rear wheel, put it on YouTube and link it here so we can hear it. Shimano hubs tend to run very quietly, when you run other hubs, Mavic and Hope spring to mind, the noise is unbelievable in comparison. Your hubs may be in this camp. Dead handy for commuting, a noisy hub. Much more effective than a bell. Add in some brake squeal and it's job done.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Paulatic wrote:Is it louder than a Campaq freewheel? Can usually hear their distinctive sound from way off.
It depends on which Campag hub.
The lower groups are noisy, but the Record and Chorus are almost silent.
All to do with the number of pawls and the spring system.

My rear hub on Mercian is now a Miche. Sort of not as noisy as the lower groups of Campag but you can still hear it.
Mick F. Cornwall
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

NEvans wrote:New bike; Pinnacle Arkose R1. Approximately 200 miles. Constant clicking noise when freewheeling, which I believe is from the rear hub. It is a Novatec 32H 2 sealed bearing 12 x 142mm. Has this been happening from the outset, I really don't know. Should I be concerned and/or need to do anything about it?

Thanks

Well, you bought the bike somewhere, so the same shop ought to solve the issue? :wink:

As a rule of thumb, pretty much all the "off the shelf" bikes are put together in a hurry and never adjusted/lubricated properly.
This is even more the case for OEM parts like the wheels/hubs fitted on that bike. But since the bike is fairly new, I'd exclude that you already have the bearings contaminated, so I'd look for the tru-axle (and I won't be surprised if has not been correctly adjusted nor greased) and brake mounts (caliper and pads may be rubbing) or trivial things like cable end or sprocket-protector rubbing on a random basis.
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...