Raleigh Firefly MTB year

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
John1970

Raleigh Firefly MTB year

Postby John1970 » 25 May 2019, 7:37pm

I recently took a chance on buying a very cheap Raleigh Firefly 26" MTB, just with the intention of cannibalising it for spare parts.
However, on examining the bike the thing looks very clean & straight, apart from needing a new chain to replace the rusty one from it being left outside. The frame, wheels, bars & drivetrain are all virtually like new.

There's not much information out there about these bikes, and I can't find any old Raleigh catalogue featuring that model. It's a conventional rigid, with semi-oversize tubing and a pretty good finish red paint job. I'm well aware they were fairly budget machines, but nonetheless mine seems to be a very solid and well-made bike and I'm definitely not going to scrap it for parts now. I get the impression from the internet that these bikes date from the early 2000's, but mine has a frame number that starts 901xxxx, which in Raleigh parlance, suggests the bike was made in 1999. It also says built in Nottingham on the seat tube, and claims to be of cromoly steel although doesn't state which type or whether plain/butted etc. I'm aware that Raleigh stopped building frames in Nottingham in late 1999, and then imported them, so I'm wondering if I do indeed have a 1999 built bike that is one of the very last true British-built Raleighs?

Brucey

Re: Raleigh Firefly MTB year

Postby Brucey » 25 May 2019, 8:07pm

any shimano parts on the bike (and some others) would have had a date mark on. This may help you identify the exact age of the bike

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~