Alternatives To Vittoria Voyager Hypers 38-42mm ??

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Witterings

Alternatives To Vittoria Voyager Hypers 38-42mm ??

Postby Witterings » 29 May 2019, 10:32am

Has anybody got any suggestions for ideally slightly wider alternatives to Vittoria Voyager Hypers with a similar road friendly tread pattern, a reasonable level of puncture protection and able to handle some gravel which these can do fine in the summer months.

I’ve been using the 35mm ones for mainly road riding with some gravel and they’re excellent but I believe they’re being discontinued and whilst making the change would ideally go to between 40 and 42mm for more comfort but would consider anything that ticks the rest of the boxes in the 35-42mm range.

I’m tempted by their Terreno Zero which have the added benefit of a very road orientated center but with some small knobbles at the sides but they’re not really any wider and nowhere seems to have them in stock in the 700’s.

Also considering Gravel King Slicks but from what I’ve read they don’t seem to have much puncture protection (probably the man reason I haven’t pressed the buy now button) unless you go tubeless and I’m not sure I want to make that jump yet and again limited to 38mm width.

Can anybody think of any others I should be looking at as well that are more road orientated but can handle “some” gravel tracks??

Brucey

Re: Alternatives To Vittoria Voyager Hypers 38-42mm ??

Postby Brucey » 29 May 2019, 10:50am

presumably you mean 700C (622) fitment?

There are some here

https://www.renehersecycles.com/product-category/components/tires/700c/

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PH

Postby PH » 29 May 2019, 11:04am

Marathon Supremes are available in 40 and 50mm, though the 35mm I use come up a little small. Not cheap, but they last and are good until worn out. I use 32 front and 35 rear and am happy on any surface I'm likely to tour on.
review here
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... preme-2016

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 29 May 2019, 11:05am

Schwalbe Supremes come in 700x42's(probably 40mm actual size) but they're not as supple as fast or as comfortable as Hypers.
Brucey's recommenations are fiercely expensive,that said if I could bring myself to pay it I'd like to try some 55mm Antelope Hill or 44mm Snowqualmie Pass on my Vagabond.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

PH

Postby PH » 29 May 2019, 11:10am

reohn2 wrote:Schwalbe Supremes come in 700x42's but they're not as supple as fast or as comfortable as Hypers.

I've posted a review for a more balanced opinion, you can do a comparison between tyres on that site. Size wise, Schwalbe list them in 40mm and 2", but not 42.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 29 May 2019, 11:25am

PH wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Schwalbe Supremes come in 700x42's but they're not as supple as fast or as comfortable as Hypers.

I've posted a review for a more balanced opinion, you can do a comparison between tyres on that site. Size wise, Schwalbe list them in 40mm and 2", but not 42.

I can only post my experience,which is tens of thousands of miles on 700x40mm(38mm actual) Hypers and a few hundred on 700x50mm(47mm actual) Supremes(latest folding version).
The Supremes aren't as fast which I suppose can be expected as they are giving away 10mm in section and a whopping 230g in weight,but because of they're 5.5mm+ tread thickness almost shoulder to shoulderand low TPI count aren't at all comofrtable compared with the smaller Hyper which surprised me given their 47mm section.
I'm not saying Supremes are a bad tyre by any means,but IMO the OP wouldn't be happy after riding Hypers.
I cycle therefore I am.

Witterings

Postby Witterings » 29 May 2019, 11:38am

Brucey wrote:presumably you mean 700C (622) fitment?

There are some here

https://www.renehersecycles.com/product-category/components/tires/700c/

cheers

I did come across that page when I was doing some research myself and the Barlow Pass 700 x 38's seemed quite interesting although as one other had mentioned .... expensive.

Had a look at the Supremes which at 1st glance looked good ... doesn't seem like they rate as well as the Hypers though.

Does anybody know for sure if the Hypers are definitely being discontinued .... seems a shame as they seem to have a huge following and would have thought at the end of the day if they're widely supported they should sell in numbers which has got to be a manufacturers primary concern ... seems like they're shooting themselves in the foot a bit???

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 29 May 2019, 11:52am

Witterings wrote:........Does anybody know for sure if the Hypers are definitely being discontinued .... seems a shame as they seem to have a huge following and would have thought at the end of the day if they're widely supported they should sell in numbers which has got to be a manufacturers primary concern ... seems like they're shooting themselves in the foot a bit???

PlanetX seem to go through phases of hardly having any in stock and having a glut,they currently are showing 14 in stock but they're 35's and confusingly in the description they say they're the brown ones,which in the past on their site have been the low 60 TPI count wired version :?
If I were buying them I'd contact them first before ordering.
Glutton that I am I have six pair of folding 700x 40s in stock :D
The Vittoria Randoneur 2 folder on PX site has the same carcass as the Hyper but again is only available in 700x35s :?

Have you looked at WTB tyres?
I cycle therefore I am.

PH

Postby PH » 29 May 2019, 12:06pm

reohn2 wrote:I can only post my experience,which is tens of thousands of miles on 700x40mm(38mm actual) Hypers and a few hundred on 700x50mm(47mm actual) Supremes(latest folding version).

I can only post mine which is the opposite, the difference between us is that I can appreciate that others may have come to a different conclusion to me despite a similar experience and things are rarely as black and white as your post implies.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 29 May 2019, 1:53pm

PH wrote:
reohn2 wrote:I can only post my experience,which is tens of thousands of miles on 700x40mm(38mm actual) Hypers and a few hundred on 700x50mm(47mm actual) Supremes(latest folding version).

I can only post mine which is the opposite, the difference between us is that I can appreciate that others may have come to a different conclusion to me despite a similar experience and things are rarely as black and white as your post implies.

Nowhere did claim that I didn't appreciate that others have a different opinion to mine or that things are black and white.
I also posted the reasons why I thought there were differences in both tyres.
I'll leave it at that other than to ask what it is you dislike so much about Hypers?

EDIT:- Schwalbe Supremes are available in 700x42(700×40c) on their website.
Last edited by reohn2 on 29 May 2019, 2:18pm, edited 2 times in total.
I cycle therefore I am.

scottg

Postby scottg » 29 May 2019, 2:00pm

Panaracer Gravel King slicks, are lighter, cheaper and have an anti-flat strip
than the Compass tyres. Downside the tread is thinner on the Gravel Kings,
so they don't last as long. In the colonies GKs are $33.

I've used the 38, 32, they run true to size.

https://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?pa ... 1&minor=27
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Why not the best, buy Cyclo-Benelux.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 29 May 2019, 2:07pm

scottg wrote:Panaracer Gravel King slicks, are lighter, cheaper and have an anti-flat strip

In the link they only go up 32mm but look like a nice tyre on paper with a 127tpi carcass :)
I cycle therefore I am.

slowster

Postby slowster » 29 May 2019, 2:42pm

scottg wrote:Panaracer Gravel King slicks, are lighter, cheaper and have an anti-flat strip than the Compass tyres. Downside the tread is thinner on the Gravel Kings, so they don't last as long.

Compass/René Herse tyres are made by Panaracer - you pays your money, you takes your choice.

As regards Schwalbe alternatives to the Vittoria Hyper and the heavier weight of the Supreme, I've not tried them but the 40mm tyres in the G-One ranges are similar weights to the Hyper, i.e. G-One Speed, G-One All Around and G-One Bite.

scottg

Postby scottg » 29 May 2019, 5:57pm

reohn2 wrote:
scottg wrote:Panaracer Gravel King slicks, are lighter, cheaper and have an anti-flat strip

In the link they only go up 32mm but look like a nice tyre on paper with a 127tpi carcass :)

If drop the purchase tab, you can get 38 in black or tan sidewalls, 320g for 38mm on my scale.
35mm tyres are on the Panaracer website, not in stores yet.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Why not the best, buy Cyclo-Benelux.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 29 May 2019, 6:00pm

scottg wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

If drop the purchase tab, you can get 38 in black or tan sidewalls, 320g for 38mm on my scale.
35mm tyres are on the Panaracer website, not in stores yet.

Sounds good but very light,which can be viewed as a plus or negative depending on you outlook :wink:
I cycle therefore I am.