Alternatives To Vittoria Voyager Hypers 38-42mm ??

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
RickH

Re: Alternatives To Vittoria Voyager Hypers 38-42mm ??

Postby RickH » 31 May 2019, 7:24pm

reohn2 wrote:I checked them out Panaracer's snailike website.They look good though appoaching the :shock: end of the price range,and they'll probably be supple too.
Let us know what they're like if you buy them :wink:

I too have still got quite a few Hypers to work my way through first :D

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 31 May 2019, 7:38pm

RickH wrote:
reohn2 wrote:I checked them out Panaracer's snailike website.They look good though appoaching the :shock: end of the price range,and they'll probably be supple too.
Let us know what they're like if you buy them :wink:

I too have still got quite a few Hypers to work my way through first :D

A man after my own heart :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

PH

Postby PH » 31 May 2019, 10:32pm

bgnukem wrote:Wanted to try Hypers after ~20 years of Paselas but the mixed reviews on here are putting me off a bit!

If you looked for reviews of Paselas, I'm sure you'd also find they were mixed, when I started Audaxing there were some who wouldn't consider anything else and those who would chose anything except... That's probably how it should be, there's a few testable facts and the rest is differing experiences and opinion. Luckily with tyres, they're usually cheap enough to try and then make your mind up.

iandriver

Postby iandriver » 31 May 2019, 11:42pm

Vittoria seem to have totally pulled the plug on supple strong tyres. I was going to suggest the randennur pro foldings, but they seem to have gone also. They had thicker rubber and weren't quite as lush as the hyper, but are still pretty good. Most annoying.

I guess the problem is we have all snapped them up at greatly reduced prices, but at the sort of money they can actually run a business on, we were looking elsewhere.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....

iandriver

Postby iandriver » 31 May 2019, 11:45pm

PH wrote:
bgnukem wrote:Wanted to try Hypers after ~20 years of Paselas but the mixed reviews on here are putting me off a bit!

If you looked for reviews of Paselas, I'm sure you'd also find they were mixed, when I started Audaxing there were some who wouldn't consider anything else and those who would chose anything except... That's probably how it should be, there's a few testable facts and the rest is differing experiences and opinion. Luckily with tyres, they're usually cheap enough to try and then make your mind up.

Know that too well. Loved gatorskins for a while, until I tore the sidewalls out of a few. Wouldn't touch them with a barge pole now.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....

Witterings

Postby Witterings » 1 Jun 2019, 12:25am

Does anyone happen to have tried both the Paselas and the Supremes and any comments on one vs the other in terms of lighter, faster and puncture protection??

My thoughts at the moment:

Tempted to go GK Slick but not so sure they offer much puncture protection and maybe too similar to Conti Speed Rides I have on another bike and not as slick as some which kind of suggests not "AS" good on the road ... if I was prepared to bite the bullet and go tubeless ... maybe .... but I'm not convinced that's what I'm ready for quite yet.

Hutchinson Overrides ... seem like an amasing tyre but I think it's probably something I'd rather on my 29er in the summer than gravel bike which has a higher emphasis on road use and again not as "slick" as some of the others.

Think my choice has come down to the 1st two I mentioned ... if anyone has any more input on them would be interested to hear it but think I'm leaning towards the Supremes as it's inferred their puncture protection may be better and possibly that smidge wider.

markjohnobrien

Postby markjohnobrien » 1 Jun 2019, 10:06am

Sorry, cannot compare to Paselas (as never used any) but I do like Supremes, have used them for a long time, find them very comfortable with good puncture resistance. Obviously, puncture resistance and weight is a trade off but, for a very light touring tyre, the resistance is very good as only had two punctures ever and that's on a few bikes over a lot of years.

Nearly had a third this week but my fault for not looking as very poor eyesight: ran over a big pile of car window smashed glass so lots of chunks, cubes, and rectangles. Damn; a right chunk was completely embedded in the rear tyre, so far in it was lower than the tyre surface so couldn't pull out with my fingers, but I manged to complete the 7 mile ride (and I'm 18 stone and the pannier was heavily loaded). I can only think that vectran belt stopped it penetrating to the inner tube...

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 1 Jun 2019, 10:14am

PH wrote:

I agree,one man's meat and all that.

FWIW I've heard people say and read on the net that Gatorskins are lethal in the wet,yet others claiming they they can't understand what the fuss is all about as they've been riding them for years without issue
I cycle therefore I am.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 1 Jun 2019, 10:27am

Witterings wrote:Does anyone happen to have tried both the Paselas and the Supremes and any comments on one vs the other in terms of lighter, faster and puncture protection??........

It's quite a while since I used Paseles,they're a fast comfortable lightweight tyre but on a low mileage bike the sidewalls perish before the tread wears out ,due to UV,whether they've changed the sidewalls now I don't know.They also now do a version with PT(puncture protection) layer which adds weight.
IMO Supremes are a heavier duty tyre with a much thicker(5mm+)tread which steals some of the suppleness,IMO they lie some where halfway between Hypers and the more treaded tyres like Marathons(without the green layer).
Last edited by reohn2 on 1 Jun 2019, 10:39am, edited 2 times in total.
I cycle therefore I am.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 1 Jun 2019, 10:38am

iandriver wrote:Vittoria seem to have totally pulled the plug on supple strong tyres. I was going to suggest the randennur pro foldings, but they seem to have gone also. They had thicker rubber and weren't quite as lush as the hyper, but are still pretty good. Most annoying.

I agree,more like a Supreme,thicker tread with supple sidewalls,they share the same carcass as Hypers.
But shouldn't be cofused with the cheaper ordinary Randoneur with the 60tpi carcass

I guess the problem is we have all snapped them up at greatly reduced prices, but at the sort of money they can actually run a business on, we were looking elsewhere.

I'd gladly pay £30 to £35 a tyre for Hypers,IMo there's less of a market for lightweight large volume tyres unless they's really pushed by the marketing men such Jan Heine,who though a small outfit really put their messafe across.
FWIW I asked Jan Heine on his blog whether he'd ever tested Hypers head to head with his own Compass (now Rene Herse) branded tyres but he never replied,something I thought strange at the time as he usually replies to direct questions.
I cycle therefore I am.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 1 Jun 2019, 10:52am

Just thought of another tyre worth considering by the OP,Panaracer RibMo though I think they only go upto 35mm(true to size) in 700C and due to their awefully slow website that take ages to load on my tablet I'm having trouble checking ATM.
We used to use them on the tandems and found them to really last and were very comfy and grippy,I'd put them in the Supremes bracket.
I cycle therefore I am.