New bike but don’t no about bits come with it

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
brychan

New bike but don’t no about bits come with it

Post by brychan »

1,2 & 3 are metal parts but what are they for

Other photos

Rubber & plastic objects what are the for?
What is the Shimano lead used for?
How does the bell work

Sound dumb asking these questions all came with a Boardman Air 9.4 2019 - Road Bike

Took the bike out for the first yesterday and the Di2 work really efficiently and I got on with them, took a few miles to get used to the up & down mechanism, but I really them and I like the bike as well smashed my fastest time

I’m nearly 62 a stone overweight I was diagnosed with lung cancer 4yrs ago and recently had a focal seizure which has effected my lower right leg slowly recovering.

I started road cycling 20 months ago have so far done 3460 miles my avg ride is 28 miles which I complete in under 1hr 50 my avg speed is 15.8 mph my avg heart rate is around 150 bpm
Attachments
3D3045F0-37E0-4784-A1A6-011EAFAEB5B6.jpeg
B4743CB5-DF2F-475F-81F9-3FFA560AEB60.jpeg
1F62162E-B77C-4DC4-B76C-EB157D1B8E9E.jpeg
881C9DC7-FA57-475A-9078-FCB5D9772573.jpeg
9C293B93-CC88-4B65-9E4F-665186F44BC9.jpeg
Last edited by brychan on 1 Jun 2019, 1:20pm, edited 1 time in total.
PT1029

Re: New bike but don’t no about bits come with it

Post by PT1029 »

I would ask the shop that sold it to you.
In case the shop is not local..... as best as I can as I don't have Di2
1st Photo with numbered bits. No idea.
2nd photo No idea.
3rd Photo Bell. Undo the screw, slip bracket over handle bars, redo screw up. How ever the bell look like a standard (to me) bell that will not fit onto modern 31.8mm diameter handle bars that I expect your bike has. Bikes by law should have a bell fitted when sold. What you do (or not) with the bell once you have the bike is up to you. Bells are useful if you often encounter walkers. If you want to fit a bell, you'll need one with a bigger clamp or a multi size clamp.
4th photo. Plastic spoke protector disc, should have been fitted behind the cassette sprockets. Protects the spokes if the gear is out of adjustment and pushes the chain/gear into the spokes. Some would argue that with Di2 gears this won't happen (unless the bike falls over and bends the gear hanger in of course...)
4th photo. Probably Di2 stuff(?)( as is probably photos 1 and 2?). I guess you have other stuff(4th photo might be the stuff) for linking/updating your Di2 to your computer (Di2 doesn't do Mac by the way).
I think the people who sold the bike should have provided more instructions (or web links there to), for an rrp of £2,399 I would have expected all the bits to be fitted + full instructions.
Just for possible more puzzlement, bikes often come with bits you don't actually need (to cater for different markets usually).
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

You bought a Di2 equipped bike and don't know how it works ???

Some one has been let down here by the seller of the OEM.. this does not cover Boardman Sales in roses does it ...
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Phone Boardman bikes and ask for Barry Charley, he's the technical expert.
David9694

Post by David9694 »

landsurfer wrote:You bought a Di2 equipped bike and don't know how it works ???

Some one has been let down here by the seller of the OEM.. this does not cover Boardman Sales in roses does it ...

I really hope the OP enjoys his new bike - but we all know of at least one story of a top line bike coming to grief in inexperienced hands - damaged and/or taking up residence in the shed.
Spa Audax Ti Ultegra; Genesis Equilibrium 853; Raleigh Record Ace 1983; “Raleigh Competition”, “Raleigh Gran Sport 1982”; “Allegro Special”, Bob Jackson tourer, Ridley alu step-through with Swytch front wheel; gravel bike from an MB Dronfield 531 frame.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

second photo is the charger for the Di2 battery.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
scottg

Post by scottg »

5&4 are Di2 plug tools

1 might be pedal washers.

https://www.bicyclechain.com/product/sh ... 6102-1.htm

Time for the op to buy a copy Zinn's The Art of Road bike Maintenance
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I think the washers are a bit small for pedal washers and they look a bit thin too.

I'd guess that they may be axle shims for the rear hub, allowing you to make small adjustments to the rear hub spacing; this is useful because it allows you to make two wheelsets be 100% interchangeable in the same bike; without such shims you will almost certainly get small variations in gear adjustment when you change wheelsets.

BTW the bell looks to me like it has a 31.8mm clamp. It is a (crude) 'pinger' type bell; you are meant to flick that sticky-out bit so that it springs back towards the bell.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Syd

Post by Syd »

1 is the washers and circlip that holds the internal battery in the seatpost.

The second photo is the strap that holds the Di2 junction box below the stem.

It’s possible your Boardman has other ways of fastening these items to the bike and the unused bits are being supplied in case you want to change components in future.

It’s not unusual. I got some unused Di2 bits with my Bianchi a couple of years ago and also bits I could use should I want to go back to cabled gearing on the bike.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Is it not customary for an instruction book/sheet to be provided?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Syd

Post by Syd »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Is it not customary for an instruction book/sheet to be provided?

Not had one with any bikes I have bought in the last decade.
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Here's the Di gear shifting info for Shimano Ultegra R8050 fitted to this bike according to
this from Boardman site.

https://www.boardmanbikes.com/gb_en/pro ... html#frame
https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/ ... 0-di2.html
https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/dm/DM-R8050-02-ENG.pdf
Nu-Fogey
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

brychan wrote:1,2 & 3 are metal parts but what are they for

Other photos

Rubber & plastic objects what are the for?
What is the Shimano lead used for?
How does the bell work

Sound dumb asking these questions all came with a Boardman Air 9.4 2019 - Road Bike

Let me understand: you bought a +£2000 bike that has no instructions?

Anyway, for your peace of mind, most of those are spare parts that you don't need to use.
i.e. the "1" bits are the clips to hold the battery in place inside the seatpost, but since your bike has an "aero" post the battery must be somewhere else. There is also a small square metal adhesive-backed bit, that goes in the frame to protect if from the grub screw that does adjust the angle of the front mech (and something tells me that yours may not be well adjusted at all).
The n.5 is the little tool for removing/pressing the wire connectors in place, makes it easier than doing it by hand.
In the third picture is the spare rubber band that hold the Junction-box under the handlebar stem, not that they break easily but keep it aside for the future.

By the way, get that bike thoroughly stripped and reassembled with proper grease, they're all put together in a hurry and the parts will rust or not last long :?
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...