Failed B & M Lumotec IQ2 Luxos U

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
nomm

Failed B & M Lumotec IQ2 Luxos U

Post by nomm »

Unfortunately my IQ2 decided to pack up 6 months out of its 2 year warranty - I thought it had a 5 year on it but I was sadly mistaken. It started playing up over the winter by turning on/off charging more and more intermittently and by spring it just had a amber light occasionally blinking with no front light or charging ability at all - the rear light continued to work through it though.

I have raised it with B&M who have said they will accept it for a free quote to repair if possible - but I am unsure if I want to spend more money sending it off to Germany for them to say no.

Speaking to Spa (supplier) they get a lot of IQ2s back - and reading other posts it seems to be more common than I hoped. Any one else got any bright ideas to get this sorted for cheap?
AndyA

Re: Failed B & M Lumotec IQ2 Luxos U

Post by AndyA »

nomm wrote:Unfortunately my IQ2 decided to pack up 6 months out of its 2 year warranty - I thought it had a 5 year on it but I was sadly mistaken. It started playing up over the winter by turning on/off charging more and more intermittently and by spring it just had a amber light occasionally blinking with no front light or charging ability at all - the rear light continued to work through it though.

I have raised it with B&M who have said they will accept it for a free quote to repair if possible - but I am unsure if I want to spend more money sending it off to Germany for them to say no.

Speaking to Spa (supplier) they get a lot of IQ2s back - and reading other posts it seems to be more common than I hoped. Any one else got any bright ideas to get this sorted for cheap?

Mine is borked as well. It is also out of warranty, I think I bought it in 2013...
I tried to take it to bits and fix it but it's a bit beyond my low skill level and very corroded internally.
igauk

Post by igauk »

Mine died in similar circumstances after four years, it had worked flawlessly until then. Fortunately I had a 5 year warranty as I bought it through Rose Bikes. They refunded no quibble and I've ordered a B&M IQ-X instead, and will use power banks to charge/top up devices. I didn't take mine apart but others have and if there's a loose/broken connection to the battery it should be obvious and easy to fix. Others have suspected the batteries fail and I gather suitable equivalents can be found on the internet. I'm sure I saw a thread on this, (perhaps on YACF), but I can't find it right now.
Moulton TSR 30
zenitb

Post by zenitb »

nomm wrote:Unfortunately my IQ2 decided to pack up 6 months out of its 2 year warranty - I thought it had a 5 year on it but I was sadly mistaken. It started playing up over the winter by turning on/off charging more and more intermittently and by spring it just had a amber light occasionally blinking with no front light or charging ability at all - the rear light continued to work through it though.

I am only just starting to use mine (its been bought and hoarded) but I know its got a cache battery in there somewhere - li-ion? The battery wearing out after many recharging cycles would be on my list to look at I guess. TBH if mine lasted 4 years and then failed I might be tempted to try another - nice variable beam pattern light and I love the charging function on tour...mine was from Rose and I was unaware of the 5 year warrenty..I will have to dig out the original order just in case. ..
nomm

Post by nomm »

had a look inside - no evidence of water ingress or damage
brumster

Post by brumster »

I'm on my third ! - Wouldn't get another. However I would return the the light to B&M to assess for repair - they may just decide it is easier to send you a new one instead as a gesture of goodwill.
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

igauk wrote:Mine died in similar circumstances after four years, it had worked flawlessly until then. Fortunately I had a 5 year warranty as I bought it through Rose Bikes. They refunded no quibble and I've ordered a B&M IQ-X instead, and will use power banks to charge/top up devices. I didn't take mine apart but others have and if there's a loose/broken connection to the battery it should be obvious and easy to fix. Others have suspected the batteries fail and I gather suitable equivalents can be found on the internet. I'm sure I saw a thread on this, (perhaps on YACF), but I can't find it right now.

With the power bank, are you charging it from the mains or fitting a charge controller to your bike electrics?
igauk

Post by igauk »

LittleGreyCat wrote:
igauk wrote:Mine died in similar circumstances after four years, it had worked flawlessly until then. Fortunately I had a 5 year warranty as I bought it through Rose Bikes. They refunded no quibble and I've ordered a B&M IQ-X instead, and will use power banks to charge/top up devices. I didn't take mine apart but others have and if there's a loose/broken connection to the battery it should be obvious and easy to fix. Others have suspected the batteries fail and I gather suitable equivalents can be found on the internet. I'm sure I saw a thread on this, (perhaps on YACF), but I can't find it right now.

With the power bank, are you charging it from the mains or fitting a charge controller to your bike electrics?

Sorry I missed this. Just using a ready charged power bank. It'll do for anything upto a 400km audax, possibly more (using my phone for navigation). If I do anything longer, or multiday rides I'd probably just take my phone charger - it will re-charge my Samsung Galaxy S8 from flat to 100% in two hours. Tempted by an Igaro but can't really justify it.
Moulton TSR 30
scuffster

Post by scuffster »

We have two of these. They have both decided to behave oddly. One just doesn't light anymore and the other pulses its front light. Is there anyway that the dynamo hub would be the cause of either of these problems?
scuffster

Post by scuffster »

I've done a little more testing. Both of ours are running using a SP PV8 dynamo hub. I used the testing explained here http://www.sp-dynamo.com/Support.html to check my hub. As both of our bikes have B&M Luxos U and the same SP PV8 hub, I switched wheels, and suddenly my B&M Luxos lights came back to life. - both of ours were sourced from Spa cycles, so will follow-up with them.
ConRAD

Post by ConRAD »

scuffster wrote:... I used the testing explained here ...

Very primitive troubleshooting instructions I'd say!!
I prepared the below basic footage, unfortunately for you it's in Italian ... nevertheless fairly understandable I think.
Let me know however whether you need further specific explanation.

[youtube]KIs7YsLXGXE[/youtube]