Ideas to prevent paint wear on racks sought...

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
cycle tramp

Ideas to prevent paint wear on racks sought...

Post by cycle tramp »

So.. I'm pair way through the second primer coat on a second hand very rusty rear rack, then its the top coats to go... after which I then have a second rack to paint, which was new in 2004, but that's before 15 years of camping, touring and shopping trips (not only has the original powder coat has worn of, so has the touch up paint which went on in 2014....)
....so does anyone bother with protecting the paint on their racks from wear and if so what's used?
Motorhead: god was never on your sidehttps://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=m ... +your+side
pwa

Re: Ideas to prevent paint wear on racks sought...

Post by pwa »

Tape at the points of contact.
robc02

Post by robc02 »

I just use a couple of turns of insulation tape where the bag rubs against the rack.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

Tape is the simplest solution. I also have used clear plastic tubing split along the length. Choose diameter to fit your rack and clips.
AndyA

Post by AndyA »

You could get it powdercoated again, it's not expensive and is much tougher than paint.
Then wrap were your pannier clip on with helicopter tape, which is very tough clear tape. I got some from ebay that was unbranded and terrible, then paid a little more for 3m stuff which does the job very well.
ossie

Post by ossie »

I use Heat shrink on my Tubus rack....only because I snaffled some from work. I've previously used old inner tube / tape...the Heat Shrink is neater though but I wouldn't lose sleep over it and would be happy with electrical tape.
brooksby

Post by brooksby »

pwa wrote:Tape at the points of contact.

This. I've got gorilla tape, which also helps stop the pannier clips rattling.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

insulation tape works OK. It doesn't last forever, but it usually fails by fraying, which is unsightly, but obvious, so you know it is time to 'refresh' it.
Hard plastic pneumatic tubing is incredibly long-lasting at the worst rubbing spots, if it is slit, snapped round the rack stays, and secured using tape.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~