Handlebar extension - straight up?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
LittleGreyCat

Handlebar extension - straight up?

Post by LittleGreyCat »

I'm please with my Garmin Edge Explore for navigation, but I find the screen a little small for easy reading, especially in bright sunlight when my glasses turn dark.

I was wondering about using a handlebar extension bracket pointing straight up to raise the Garmin up higher and closer to my face.

Apart from the risk of belting it with my face during a rapid unscheduled dismount can anyone see an obvious downside?

I might even mount a spare light on it to shine over the bar bag.
Brucey

Re: Handlebar extension - straight up?

Post by Brucey »

would a cowl (providing shade to the screen) be of any use?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

Brucey wrote:would a cowl (providing shade to the screen) be of any use?

cheers

Only if combined with a Sherlock Holmes deerstalker and magnifying glass. :lol:
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

would bifocal specs help?

Almost anything is better than having something smack you in the face, isn't it?

cheers
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

Brucey wrote:would bifocal specs help?

Almost anything is better than having something smack you in the face, isn't it?

cheers

I have varifocals, thanks.

Yes, the risk to my very pretty nose is my main concern.
zenitb

Post by zenitb »

My cycling buddy uses something like this to lift his headlight above the barbag...
Attachments
2019-06-07 21.28.42.png
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I wonder if a Fresnel magnifier would help? Not sure what magnifications and focal lengths are available though.

cheers
PH

Post by PH »

In a similar vein to zenitb, if your bar bag bracket is a R&K you could use one of these, though it won't lift a light high enough to clear the bag
s-l1600.jpg

For visibility - I have mine zoomed right in, I don't need to see the bigger picture, just the junction, and in bright sunshine have the backlight at max. Also mount it in such a way as you can tilt it, which isn't possible with all brackets and mounting positions.
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

Thanks to all so far.

It looks like an extension might give two benefits; raise the Garmin a bit and also alter the angle. At the moment it is strapped to the stem with the supplied base and rubber rings.
Of course, I could (uh, duh) buy a Garmin (or Halfords) mount and just try angling it up from the bars.
Or perhaps combine an extension and an adjustable mount.
This does risk turning the bars into a Christmas Tree, of course.
PH

Post by PH »

LittleGreyCat wrote: At the moment it is strapped to the stem with the supplied base and rubber rings.

I suspected it might be, fitting it to the bars or one of the brackets pictured above allows for some tilt which can reduce the reflections and make it easier to see. Plus, for me, that little bit forward puts it more in my line of sight which also helps.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I had a Garmin Edge 705 for some years. Excellent bit of kit ............. but my tired old eyes couldn't see the map detail any more.
Sympathies to LittleGreyCat :cry:

What I did, was to push the boat out and spend money. I sold my 705 to part-fund a reconditioned Garmin Montana 600 and I do not regret it in the slightest.

Big, bright screen ................ and I can see it! :D

http://www.tramsoft.ch/gps/garmin_montana600_en.html
Mick F. Cornwall
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

I use a double clamp version but even with that, both clamps can be tightened just enough to keep it place yet still allow it to spin around the bar in case of impact.
It'll save both your mug and any expensive gizmo's mounted to it.

IMG_20190608_105711.jpg
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

Now looking at Garmin Edge mounts and the Garmin made one (I think) seems to be £20 at Halfords.

However there is a bewildering range of 3rd party mounts from under a tenner to megabucks for a rainbow coloured aero version.

Are the cheap ones as good as the OEM version?
PH

Post by PH »

LittleGreyCat wrote:Now looking at Garmin Edge mounts and the Garmin made one (I think) seems to be £20 at Halfords.

However there is a bewildering range of 3rd party mounts from under a tenner to megabucks for a rainbow coloured aero version.

There's a whole range of mounts, you'll need to be a bit more specific or there's a possibility we're talking about different things.
I've had a couple of out front mounts, Garmin's own and 3rd part Ebay ones, they work fine, but I prefer the disc fitting on a bar or extension for the reasons already mentioned.
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

PH wrote:
LittleGreyCat wrote:Now looking at Garmin Edge mounts and the Garmin made one (I think) seems to be £20 at Halfords.

There's a whole range of mounts, you'll need to be a bit more specific or there's a possibility we're talking about different things.
I've had a couple of out front mounts, Garmin's own and 3rd part Ebay ones, they work fine, but I prefer the disc fitting on a bar or extension for the reasons already mentioned.

Sorry, the out front mounts.
Not sure which reasons for the disc fitting on an extension you mean.