Microshift vs Shimano compatibility

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
PT1029

Microshift vs Shimano compatibility

Post by PT1029 »

A friend has had his LH Microshift STI lever/brifter fail. Lots of LH double levers about, triples harder to come by (UK distributor out of stock until September).

If he subs a Shimano STI lever (subject to brake cable pull etc) using the original microshift front gear, will it work?, or does he have to change the F mech to Shimano too.
I guess if he had to buy a pair if levers, the same question applies to the rear gear.
Somewhere listed them as Shimano compatible, but I'm not sure if that means a direct replacement Shimano lever works with a Microshift gear mech, or the Microshift lever + rear mech together work with Shimano chainset spacings.
The bike is a BTwin Triban somethingoruther (I forget the number!).

Cheers.
Brucey

Re: Microshift vs Shimano compatibility

Post by Brucey »

rear gear uses the same shift ratio as shimano 7/8/9/most 10s road (not 4700).

Front likewise, but NB shimano have used several shift ratios for the FD. If in doubt, look at the FD that a given shimano shifter is meant for, and compare it with the microshift one. It is normally possible to see if the shift ratio is going to be in the right ballpark or not.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

You could also get some Microshift copies off eBay?
I had thought about it for my 531 bike :cry: :cry: :cry:

Cheers James
tim_f

Post by tim_f »

Dechathlon appear to have them in stock https://www.decathlon.co.uk/microshift-3s-lever-black-id_8341556.html

Otherwise buy from an overseas dealer.
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

Thanks for the advice, in the end Decathlon got him a replacement LH lever from France (which seemed their preferred option over getting one from the Croyden store!) and fitted in just in time for him to go the Isle of Wight for the weekend. Fortunately they fitted it and adjusted it well, so all worked perfectly.