New build parts recommendation

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
spooks1982

New build parts recommendation

Post by spooks1982 »

Hey all,

I'm building a new bike from scratch (first time). I've purchased a frame set which is a Specialized S-Works Tarmac Disc (2017) - 56" frame. Group Set wise I was thinking either Shimano Di2 9170 or the new SRAM Red eTap AXS. I have SRAM force on my Roubaix which I quite like, however I've never used anything else on my road bike.

So I have a few questions : -

* Will both group sets be compatible?
* Is there a 'better groupset' out of the two?
* If I went with the SRAM Red eTap would some special consideration have to be given to the wheel set given its a 12 speed system?
* What wheels would be a good starting point? I'm think Aero and high quality, no preference on brand particularly. A friend of mine rates Hunt Wheels and they seem to be competitively priced.
* Any tips on bars/stems etc - I have broad shoulders so I'm thinking wider would be better but how are you supposed to know what is right?
* My inside leg is 32cm - I am guessing a 172.5 crankset is best?

I'm a 90kg+ rider standing around 5ft 11".

I was thinking about getting a bike fitting on my current Roubaix to get a better idea of my dimensions to help select parts for my new bike. Is this worthwhile?

Cheers and thanks in advance for the help :)
Brucey

Re: New build parts recommendation

Post by Brucey »

Not sure what you mean by 'compatible'? Also I doubt that you have a 56" frame; 56cm seems more like it. If you frame is 130mm wide at the back then you need to buy rear hubs that wide too; if it is some other different standard then you need to act accordingly.

You haven't said what you are going to use the bike for or what your priorities are exactly so it is difficult to suggest what groupset/wheelset might be 'best'. FWIW what you choose to buy also depends on how you intend to view its useage/maintenance over the longer term, as well as how you intended to accomplish a first-time build. I would say that if you are very keen to have 'the latest thing' (for some reason) then DA-9170 wouldn't be my first choice because it is liable to be replaced with a 12s system before too long.

Re handlebars; you should use whatever you find most comfortable. For the past several decades folk have (IMHO) used ludicrously wide handlebars for all kinds of spurious reasons; however the tide of fashion is changing and some folk have finally woken up to the idea that you might be more aerodynamic with slightly narrower handlebars after all. You will get different recommendations for position depending on who does your bike fit and what your needs are.

There is no rigidly fixed relationship between your physiology and what cranks might suit you best either. If you have tried different crank lengths you may have worked out which ones you prefer, or you may not have noticed any difference (which is not to say that you are not going better with one length than another BTW). But most folk your size happily use 172.5mm cranks on their road bike and since this is the most common length (but not in MTB cranks...) you will be able to buy cranks easily. If you choose some other weird length your choice of what cranks you can buy might be severely diminished. If you have a training bike and a race bike then it is usually necessary for both bikes to have the same length cranks on.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
spooks1982

Post by spooks1982 »

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Regarding the frame size, yes - I meant 56cm of course. The bike will be used for a mixture of sportive's, club rides and just general training rides. It won't be a garage queen but I'd say its the bike I want to use as my 'best' bike / when I want to go quickly.

By compatibility, I was really referring to hub compatibility (12 speed sram) or any other gotchas. I'm not that bothered about the latest and greatest (hence the older frame) to be honest. Having said that looking at the price of the SRAM groupset has definitely got me thinking if it's worth it.

Also, regarding the bottom bracket... this has me confused as to which standards will be compatible. How do I know which ones my frame will take? My roubaix is a bb30 press fit.

Appreciate the advise provided so far.

Cheers.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

your frame will have been designed to accommodate

- a specific type and width of rear hub (usually QR 130mm OLN on a road bike but could be thru axle)
- brakes (obviously)
- a specific type of groupset (mechanical and/or electronic)
- a specific type of front mech mounting
- specific bottom bracket type
- seat pin type/size
- handlebar stem type/fitting.

Most of these are 'standard' or there are workarounds. For example if you don't want to use BB30 then you can get converters which allow other BB types to be used in a BB30 frame.

A lot of this is personal preference and there is much to be said for having parts commonality between several bikes if you have several bikes; for example if you think you might need spare wheels for the 'best bike' you either need to factor in buying spare wheels or make sure that the ones you already have will work too.

cheers
spooks1982

Post by spooks1982 »

Hey,

Just a quick update on this Brucey - I received the frame yesterday but I really should have dug into the specifications a bit more. I didn't realise that this frameset was a dreaded SCS frame with the weird hub spacing at the back (135mm instead of 142mm). Also the style of the frame is post mount so wouldn't take flat mount brakes as found on modern group sets such as the SRAM Red eTap AXS.

The above is the kind of gotchas I was referring to in my original post. Anyway, I've managed to send it back for a refund albeit costing me a small fortune in postage. I have spotted something of interest on eBay but I'm a bit wary - I've found a brand new in box s-works tarmac equipped with eTap AXS groupset with power meter. The problem is, the guy doesn't have any kind of receipt or proof of purchase. It's pretty well discounted at 7k but I imagine specialized wouldn't touch it with a barge pole if it required warranty work / frame replacement.

Also its cash on collection.... :/
pwa

Post by pwa »

If I were paying 7k for a bike I would expect to be able to test ride it first, not hand over the readies then ride it to see if I like it.

(Also my Missus would string me up if I spent that on a bike)
spooks1982

Post by spooks1982 »

Lol I know. Also, I think this thing is so hot i'd get a sun tan just looking at it!

He seems to keep lowering the price, now 6.5k if I can get it this weekend. Asked him for the frame number, says he's at work. Asked him to send it later on if possible - no response. hmm.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

if in doubt, there is no doubt.

cheers
spooks1982

Post by spooks1982 »

Another update if anyone cares, I called specialized. Bike isn't on any kind of stolen register but they did find it highly unusual that it wasn't built and the guy didn't have a receipt. They are going to do some digging with the store that sold it but definitely odd and they said that unless there is proof of purchase there will be no warranty.

I think I'll take your advice Brucey, massive shame as its a huge discount on a top end bike.
David9694

Post by David9694 »

While we are the “built it myself” tribe, that will mainly be from parts we had lying around, and aren’t we more the Tupperware sandwich, not quite beard & sandals group, (but not far off, and beards are back) rather than the spend well into four figures get the very latest tech the makers are putting out forum? It takes all sorts, I suppose.
Spa Audax Ti Ultegra; Genesis Equilibrium 853; Raleigh Record Ace 1983; “Raleigh Competition”, “Raleigh Gran Sport 1982”; “Allegro Special”, Bob Jackson tourer, Ridley alu step-through with Swytch front wheel; gravel bike from an MB Dronfield 531 frame.
spooks1982

Post by spooks1982 »

David9694 wrote:While we are the “built it myself” tribe, that will mainly be from parts we had lying around, and aren’t we more the Tupperware sandwich, not quite beard & sandals group, (but not far off, and beards are back) rather than the spend well into four figures get the very latest tech the makers are putting out forum? It takes all sorts, I suppose.

:? What?
flat tyre

Post by flat tyre »

David9694 wrote:While we are the “built it myself” tribe, that will mainly be from parts we had lying around, and aren’t we more the Tupperware sandwich, not quite beard & sandals group, (but not far off, and beards are back) rather than the spend well into four figures get the very latest tech the makers are putting out forum? It takes all sorts, I suppose.

Bit presumptuous aren't you!
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

In the pub already Dave :wink:
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Knocking back the gt85.
Sweep