How to get a customised 10-sp Shimano cassette

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
kovacsa
Posts: 19
Joined: 1 Jun 2019, 6:51pm

How to get a customised 10-sp Shimano cassette

Postby kovacsa » 11 Jun 2019, 5:29pm

a custom or non-standard style cassette.

My current cassette is this...

Model: Shimano CS-HG50-10
Size: 11-36
Cassette Cogs: 11-13-15-17-19-21-24-28-32-36

I don't find the smaller cogs that useful, esp 11 and 13.  I find the larger cogs more useful for climbing and cycling in general.  Does anyone know where I can find a cassette that has a cog starting with 14 or 15 teeth all the way up to a cog that has 38 or 40 teeth?  The climbing gears would be much more of a benefit to me.  Thanks!
Last edited by Graham on 11 Jun 2019, 8:36pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title - to help the readers

reohn2
Posts: 36282
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: I'm on a quest to find...

Postby reohn2 » 11 Jun 2019, 5:43pm

There's other ways to lower your overall gearing by reducing the size of chainrings on the chainset.
What chainset and chainring tooth count do you have presently?
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

kovacsa
Posts: 19
Joined: 1 Jun 2019, 6:51pm

Re: I'm on a quest to find...

Postby kovacsa » 11 Jun 2019, 5:50pm

reohn2 wrote:There's other ways to lower your overall gearing by reducing the size of chainrings on the chainset.
What chainset and chainring tooth count do you have presently?


This is my current chain ring. Shimano T521 Octalink 170-175mm 48/38/26t 10spd I'm starting to use the small ring more often now as it seems much more versatile. In order not to cross chain as much, I was thinking of getting larger cogs on the cassette. If changing the small chain ring to a smaller one is an easy option, it's something I might consider.

Brucey
Posts: 35865
Joined: 4 Jan 2012, 6:25pm

Re: I'm on a quest to find...

Postby Brucey » 11 Jun 2019, 6:16pm

if you buy an 11-42 10s cassette then it will probably come like this;

11,13,15,18,21,24,28,32,37,42 this becomes
13,15,17,19,21,24,28,32,37,42

by simply swapping the 11 and 18T sprockets for a 17 and 19 pair instead. You may need to revise the cassette lockring arrangements, but most second smallest sprockets also have serrations that engage with a (slightly larger) lockring.

This change can also have the effect of improving the chainline in your most used 'tapping along' gears.

You will of course need to make sure the RD has the capacity for these sprockets.

The two cassettes above are compared here

http://ritzelrechner.de/?GR=DERS&KB=26,38,48&RZ=11,13,15,18,21,24,28,32,37,42&UF=2185&TF=90&SL=2.6&UN=MPH&DV=gearInches&GR2=DERS&KB2=26,38,48&RZ2=17,13,15,19,21,24,28,32,37,42&UF2=2185

Your old cassette is compared with the proposed new one here

http://ritzelrechner.de/?GR=DERS&KB=26,38,48&RZ=11,13,15,17,19,21,24,28,32,36&UF=2185&TF=90&SL=2.6&UN=MPH&DV=gearInches&GR2=DERS&KB2=26,38,48&RZ2=42,13,15,17,19,21,24,28,32,37&UF2=2185

FWIW at one time some manufacturers made replacement large sprockets so that you could convert your 11-36 to a 13-42 by simply adding the 42 sprocket and deleting the 11T one

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

reohn2
Posts: 36282
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: I'm on a quest to find...

Postby reohn2 » 11 Jun 2019, 6:41pm

kovacsa wrote:
reohn2 wrote:There's other ways to lower your overall gearing by reducing the size of chainrings on the chainset.
What chainset and chainring tooth count do you have presently?


This is my current chain ring. Shimano T521 Octalink 170-175mm 48/38/26t 10spd I'm starting to use the small ring more often now as it seems much more versatile. In order not to cross chain as much, I was thinking of getting larger cogs on the cassette. If changing the small chain ring to a smaller one is an easy option, it's something I might consider.

You can swap the chainrings for 44/32/22t ,buy the whole chainset and either buy a new BB to suit or swap over the chainrings to your chainset:- https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-Acer ... SwcVZbUEFU
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

kovacsa
Posts: 19
Joined: 1 Jun 2019, 6:51pm

Re: I'm on a quest to find...

Postby kovacsa » 11 Jun 2019, 7:15pm

reohn2 wrote:You can swap the chainrings for 44/32/22t ,buy the whole chainset and either buy a new BB to suit or swap over the chainrings to your chainset:- https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-Acer ... SwcVZbUEFU

Thanks, Seems the smaller chain ring idea is more popular to solve this issue. What is BB?

Brucey
Posts: 35865
Joined: 4 Jan 2012, 6:25pm

Re: I'm on a quest to find...

Postby Brucey » 11 Jun 2019, 8:11pm

BB = bottom bracket
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

reohn2
Posts: 36282
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: I'm on a quest to find...

Postby reohn2 » 11 Jun 2019, 8:12pm

BB= Bottom Bracket,the bearing which the chainset runs on.
Yours is Octolink,the one in the link is SquareTaper
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

Brucey
Posts: 35865
Joined: 4 Jan 2012, 6:25pm

Re: How to get a customised 10-sp Shimano cassette

Postby Brucey » 11 Jun 2019, 9:06pm

FWIW R2's suggestion is fairly straightforward to implement, and is unlikely to require that you buy new derailleurs.

The suggestion of keeping the extant chainset and fitting a larger cassette is more likely to require that you fit a different rear derailleur; maybe this is OK if it needs to be changed anyway. Note that

a) if you go down this route the resultant transmission will be both more efficient and longer lasting too; any time you are using larger chainrings and sprockets to achieve any particular gear ratio, these are the benefits. Also

b) when cassette replacement time comes, you need only buy another 11-36 cassette; you can simply transfer the 42 sprocket (alone or with the cluster it is mounted to) from one to another (you probably won't ever wear it out) but it may need a non-standard spacer of some kind.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

thelawnet
Posts: 2248
Joined: 27 Aug 2010, 12:56am

Re: I'm on a quest to find...

Postby thelawnet » 12 Jun 2019, 8:27am

Brucey wrote:if you buy an 11-42 10s cassette then it will probably come like this;

11,13,15,18,21,24,28,32,37,42 this becomes
13,15,17,19,21,24,28,32,37,42

by simply swapping the 11 and 18T sprockets for a 17 and 19 pair instead. You may need to revise the cassette lockring arrangements, but most second smallest sprockets also have serrations that engage with a (slightly larger) lockring.


I believe the 15-42 are riveted together.

I am not sure how easy it would be to find the 19t sprocket either.

De Sisti
Posts: 745
Joined: 17 Jun 2007, 6:03pm

Re: How to get a customised 10-sp Shimano cassette

Postby De Sisti » 12 Jun 2019, 8:33am

My favourite customised 9s cassette is a 13-30. I use a 12-27, remove the 12/13 sprokets
and add a 13t 1st spocket and a 30t 9th sproket. So the combination changes from:

12/13/14/15/17/19/21/24/27 to
13/14/15/17/19/21/24/27/30

Brucey
Posts: 35865
Joined: 4 Jan 2012, 6:25pm

Re: I'm on a quest to find...

Postby Brucey » 12 Jun 2019, 9:03am

thelawnet wrote:
Brucey wrote:if you buy an 11-42 10s cassette then it will probably come like this;

11,13,15,18,21,24,28,32,37,42 this becomes
13,15,17,19,21,24,28,32,37,42

by simply swapping the 11 and 18T sprockets for a 17 and 19 pair instead. You may need to revise the cassette lockring arrangements, but most second smallest sprockets also have serrations that engage with a (slightly larger) lockring.


I believe the 15-42 are riveted together.

I am not sure how easy it would be to find the 19t sprocket either.


Its not exactly a big challenge to unrivet them and they don't need to be re-riveted afterwards.

https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/ev/EV-CS-HG500-10-3861A.pdf

Sprockets can be re-used from the exant 11-36 cassette of course; you can make up the new cassette using mostly the sprockets from an 11-42 or an 11-36 as you see fit; shift quality may vary slightly if you mix and match too much, but its no big deal; looking at the ramps here

https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/ev/EV-CS-HG50-10-3767A.pdf

suggests that there is only one ramp aligned between 21-24 and likewise between 24-28; you could hardly do much worse.


You can mix and match between brands too; for example this sun race 11-42

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/cassettes/sunrace-ms3-10-speed-cassette-champagne-1142t/

comes with a 32-36-42 cluster that needs to be kept whole; this can be mated to 13-28 from another cassette.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

reohn2
Posts: 36282
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: How to get a customised 10-sp Shimano cassette

Postby reohn2 » 12 Jun 2019, 9:41am

De Sisti wrote:My favourite customised 9s cassette is a 13-30. I use a 12-27, remove the 12/13 sprokets
and add a 13t 1st spocket and a 30t 9th sproket. So the combination changes from:

12/13/14/15/17/19/21/24/27 to
13/14/15/17/19/21/24/27/30

Wide ratio 10sp cassettes aren't riveted in the same way as 9sp.
Last edited by reohn2 on 12 Jun 2019, 10:06am, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

pq
Posts: 968
Joined: 12 Nov 2007, 11:41pm
Location: St Antonin Noble Val, France
Contact:

Re: How to get a customised 10-sp Shimano cassette

Postby pq » 12 Jun 2019, 9:54am

I have the same issue. My solution was to use Marchisio or Mavic M10 cassettes, but now both are unavailable you can't do that. However there's a guy who has some Marchisio sprockets still available, so you can just buy the ones you need and use the remainder of the standard cassette. Clem, the owner, is knowledgable and helpful, and buying a few sprockets isn't expensive. He's here: http://clemenzo.com/en/marchisio/10-speed-cassettes
One link to your website is enough. G

tatanab
Posts: 3775
Joined: 8 Feb 2007, 12:37pm

Re: How to get a customised 10-sp Shimano cassette

Postby tatanab » 12 Jun 2019, 10:11am

Also Miche sprockets and spacers https://www.xxcycle.com/php/boutique/pa ... arch=miche You will not get your large sprockets, but these can be recycled from your existing cassettes. I too like Marchisio and bought several of my mid range sprockets when I heard they were closing. I have used both Clemenzo and XXcycles several times for these sprockets.