Twisting v brakes

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Tinpotflowers

Twisting v brakes

Post by Tinpotflowers »

If due to error the handlebars of a bike with v brakes are twisted 180 degrees and the retaining slot for the nodule is forced open and is unable retain the nodule is it safe to pinch the retaining slot with pillars or is better to in addition use a zip tie to prevent the nodule from slipping out?

Does the quality of the v brake has any effect on this issue?
CJ

Re: Twisting v brakes

Post by CJ »

I think you mean pliers and my answer is maybe. The noodle 'stirrup' will surely be weaker after the forcing open and probably remain somewhat distorted after pinching together again, so the addition of a zip-tie will help to keep the noodle aligned correctly.
BUT a brake is a safety-critical component, especially when it's a front brake. So I would swap this brake-arm (just the one affected arm) with the corresponding arm from the rear. And I would also perform a proof test, in which I squeeze the brake lever as hard as I possibly can. If the mend holds, I think you're good to go. First though, add some kind of steering stop to the bicycle, such as a fork-crown mounted reflector bracket, so that the fork cannot turn backwards again.
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
Brucey

Re: Twisting v brakes

Post by Brucey »

I've reset V brake yokes in the way intended and they have nearly always been OK; however you can't be 100% sure that there isn't some lurking damage. I think swapping the front for the rear as suggested is a good idea. The problem is that whilst most steels are fairly ductile

the 'roll off' to failure can be pretty abrupt. Thus if the load required to reset the yoke actually starts to reduce, even a tiny bit, you have definitely gone too far. You might have pushed it to the limit anyway.

FWIW fitting a so-called 'flexi-noodle' to the front brake can help to avoid bent yokes.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~