Cycling shorts - any recommendations?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
althebike

Re: Cycling shorts - any recommendations?

Postby althebike » 7 Jul 2019, 6:14pm

I have just brought a pair of Castelli bib shorts, they fit me everywhere except around the thigh, I think they were made for skinny legs.I think it is more comfortable to buy a pair with a pad that hugs you, rather than a sumptious pad, but it is your choice.

JohnW

Postby JohnW » 7 Jul 2019, 10:40pm

LittleGreyCat wrote:To update:
.................I have two different pairs of Corinne Dennis shorts, both in medium.
Traditional style touring shorts
Men's double comfort shorts.
I must say that I am very impressed.
..................The traditional style touring shorts are a bit unnerving, though...............I might be a little nervous about personal bits wandering down the leg of the shorts. :oops:
They certainly do the job, though, despite less padding..................

We've been through this before - I have three pairs of the CD men's touring shorts - two for use alternately and one for when/if one of them gets damaged or something. I am very satisfied indeed with Corinne Dennis shorts :D :D :D :D :D . They are not padded - they have a double thickness in the saddle zone. They could be described as semi-baggy - they have a traditional appearance, which is fine for me.

I'm not anywhere near LittleGreyCat's 6'0", but because of my ample waist measurement for my height I also need the medium size...............this brings the bottom of the leg of the shorts down to a level nearer to my knees.

in weather that is not too hot I wear M&S aertex type Y-Front type underpants - they'd prevent any 'dangling' exposure. When the weather is too hot (as it is at the moment) I simply don't wear underpants. However, there are many garments that would retain any 'offending parts', without being hot and sweaty in any 'adjacent features'. The terms 'thong', 'G-string', 'slip', 'Jock Strap' etc come to mind, and there are some very brief, lightweight versions of Y-Front types available - I think that a bit of research could get around the problem.

cyclemad

Postby cyclemad » 9 Jul 2019, 12:11pm

I got some Castelli Free Aero Race 4 ( latest design ) which are compression bib shorts.....Should have been £150 a pop but with discounts at Sigma I paid £120....Now they are GOOD ....Very comfortable . New design leg grippers ( no sweaty rash etc )and a re-designed straps - the previous was a webbing / flat material which could tear if pulled in the wrong direction when getting them on and off. The one thing I have noted with compression shorts and Tights is that If I don't stretch off / cool down correctly I get really bad thigh cramps.....But other than that I would recommend these shorts if you are wanting to spend a bit more .

richardfm

Postby richardfm » 9 Jul 2019, 9:21pm

I ordered a pair of these https://www.corinnedennis.co.uk/traditi ... horts-1317 on Saturday and they arrived today. I haven't ridden in them yet but they are a good fit, feel comfortable and appear to be well made

LittleGreyCat

Postby LittleGreyCat » 11 Jul 2019, 10:48pm

JohnW wrote:
LittleGreyCat wrote:To update:
.................I have two different pairs of Corinne Dennis shorts, both in medium.
Traditional style touring shorts
Men's double comfort shorts.
I must say that I am very impressed.
..................The traditional style touring shorts are a bit unnerving, though...............I might be a little nervous about personal bits wandering down the leg of the shorts. :oops:
They certainly do the job, though, despite less padding..................

We've been through this before - I have three pairs of the CD men's touring shorts - two for use alternately and one for when/if one of them gets damaged or something. I am very satisfied indeed with Corinne Dennis shorts :D :D :D :D :D . They are not padded - they have a double thickness in the saddle zone. They could be described as semi-baggy - they have a traditional appearance, which is fine for me.

I'm not anywhere near LittleGreyCat's 6'0", but because of my ample waist measurement for my height I also need the medium size...............this brings the bottom of the leg of the shorts down to a level nearer to my knees.
<snip>.

We must be talking about different shorts.

There is no way mine could be described as "semi-baggy" nor do they get anywhere near my knees.

They are short shorts, but look more like casual shorts than cycling shorts.

I have seen loads of different shorts which are like board shorts - hang down to the knee - but these latest CD shorts are nothing like that.

JohnW

Postby JohnW » 11 Jul 2019, 11:06pm

LittleGreyCat wrote:.....................We must be talking about different shorts.

1). There is no way mine could be described as "semi-baggy" nor do they get anywhere near my knees.

2). They are short shorts, but look more like casual shorts than cycling shorts.

3). I have seen loads of different shorts which are like board shorts - hang down to the knee - but these latest CD shorts are nothing like that.

A lot depends upon my description and your interpretation.
1). I think that yours must be a little baggy, otherwise you'd not be concerned about any intimate exposure down the leg. :shock: :shock: :shock:
2). Any one pair of shorts would look shorter on a tall bloke than on a short bloke. :D :D :D
3). Mine don't hang down to my knees, but on the basis of 2). they do finish closer to my knees than yours will.

If ever we meet, we could compare shorts - but nothing else! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Paul2566

Postby Paul2566 » 13 Jul 2019, 7:58am

Anything over 50 miles then Castelli make a huge difference, no discomfort at all. Velocissimo, and Volo are the two I use at the moment.
20 to 50 miles, lots to choose from, I've had success with DHB and Pear Izumi.
Less than 20 miles, there are not many that wont do the job with various levels of comfort. I have a cheap Chinese pair £15, and a pair of FDX that are pretty comfortable that I bought off fleabay.

Even a lot of the cheap ones are pretty well made but the chamois is where the big difference is. Until you use a decent pair of bib shorts on longer rides you just wouldn't believe the difference they make. I know I didn't, and couldn't believe people could be so silly as to spend more than £40 on a little bit of Lycra.

For longer rides I really wouldn't consider using anything other that Castelli, and if you keep an eye out on ebay, Wiggle, Bike-Discount, etc., they can be found below £60.

bazzo

Postby bazzo » 14 Jul 2019, 10:46pm

Lusso, made in Manchester look for sale items. Waist or bib shorts are a personal choice.

mnichols

Postby mnichols » 15 Jul 2019, 10:55am

bazzo wrote:Lusso, made in Manchester look for sale items. Waist or bib shorts are a personal choice.

+1 for Lusso. Love their Roubaix winter tights