Ortlieb Back Rollers. Will they fit my Rack?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
BasicBob

Ortlieb Back Rollers. Will they fit my Rack?

Post by BasicBob »

Hello all.

I'm looking at buying a pair of Ortlieb back roller classics but unsure if they'll fit on the rack fitted to my bike. The problem is, it's a very short rack which measures only 8 inch from top rail to bottom rail.

Could any of you Ortlieb owners out there please measure the distance from the top hooks to the bottom hook? This would give me an idea if they'll actually fit.

Many thanks.
robgul

Re: Ortlieb Back Rollers. Will they fit my Rack?

Post by robgul »

The Classics have two hooks that go on the top rail (with various inserts supplied for different diameter tubes) and then a "swinging clip" that moves on an adjustable radial rail and simply sits behind the "leg" of the rack to stop the bag swinging out away from the wheel. I have a pair and they fit 4 bikes I have, all with different racks.

I think the Ortlieb website has the instruction leaflets as pdfs and they give measurements and illustrations that will probably answer your question - although a pic of your rack would be an idea to post to see what you mean!

Rob

BTW - I bought mine earlier this year and the best price I found was a supplier in Holland called Mantel - waaaay cheaper than anywhere else (even trade from the UK distributor) - arrived in 3 days and IIRC no carriage cost
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
yutkoxpo

Post by yutkoxpo »

Hi Bob,
I just measure my Ortlieb back roller classic.
From the top mounts to the lowest (furthest) point of the under catch is 22,5 cm (although the bottom catch can be adjusted). My measuring tape is metric, you'll need to do the conversion yourself.
You need to make sure the bottom catch engages with the rack, otherwise the pannier can swing - not good.

Ideally, borrow one and try before you buy. Failing that, use a shop to try on the spot or if online use a seller that allows free, no quibble returns.
PH

Post by PH »

Maybe you should tell us what rack it is, or as Rob suggests a photo. I'm trying to envisage it and the only ones I can think of that are that short are not designed for big panniers even if you could make them fit. The lower hook doesn't have to fit to the rail, some rack designs don't have a lower rail as such. The one on my 24" wheel folder doesn't, though it does have a strut that runs from the top platform to the dropout, this measures 32cm and if fine for attaching the Ortlieb hook (Though mine are the smaller front rollers)
John1054

Post by John1054 »

I think that you'll have to modify/re-inforce the lower fixing. Although you can move the hook to gain adjustment, I'm not sure if it would grip adequately on your rack?
BasicBob

Post by BasicBob »

Hello guys, thanks for all the responses.

As you suggested, here are some pics of my rack:

IMG_20190623_144249.jpg

IMG_20190623_144322.jpg
PH

Post by PH »

Thanks for those, I haven't seen a rack like that where the side rails are lower than the top of the wheels. I'd suggest they won't fit even if you can deal with the lower hook. I think back rollers are 40cm tall and that's likely to be too low and may also interfere with the derailleur.
Ivor Tingting

Post by Ivor Tingting »

Have never seen a rack like that before. It might be difficult for any pannier hooks, Ortlieb or otherwise to attach with those apparent double rails in close proximity. It might have been modified at some point, might even have been a front rack or a rack for a bike with smaller wheels. I think if it we me I would look for a new cheap rear rack that would ensure a much better fit and ease of securing and removing panniers. Ortlieb panniers will fit to just about any rack, but may be not yours because of the double rails close together.
"Zat is ze reel prowoking qwestion Mr Paxman." - Peer Steinbruck, German Finance Minister 31/03/2009.
BasicBob

Post by BasicBob »

The bike is a Trek Conduit, this rack comes with the bike. It's an odd one for sure!

I don't know whether to change the rack or look for some different suitable panniers.

I searched the web and the only pics i could find of another Trek Conduit with panniers are here:
Attachments
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg
John1054

Post by John1054 »

Have to say, that seeing the photos, I would buy a more suitable rack, as suggested above.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

The lower rails on my tubus rack sits below the wheel, though not as far as yours. Image
It does sound like you'd need to move the lower rail at least. Probably buy a new one as a spare part and leave the old one in place for waterproofing reasons. Anyone use the quoted panniers on a lower rail? How close to the floor is it? I only use front rollers, so don't know about the full sized ones.

Shops like Spa cycles sell all the spares, you can reposition all the rails and jack the whole panier up if you need to. Does seem like a new rack might be easier.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
robgul

Post by robgul »

John1054 wrote:Have to say, that seeing the photos, I would buy a more suitable rack, as suggested above.

Agreed - I'd throw the existing rack away .... looks absolutely useless with any bag likely to to catch the mudguard or tyre. A basic Madison M Part rack for about £25 would be just fine.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
slowster

Post by slowster »

That second rail is not a slightly lower rail, it's much further outboard (maybe 30mm-40mm judging by the photographs). So the two rails are not so close that they will interfere with hooking on a pannier like an an Ortlieb.

However, there appears to be no corresponding second outboard rail on the left hand side of the rack, possibly suggesting that it is only intended that a single right hand pannier is used, i.e. as in the photographs.

Moreover, having regard to the rack design I would be concerned about its suitability for heavy loads, as might typically be expected if using Ortlieb Back Rollers. It seems to me that not only would the weld attaching the outboard rail be stressed by the cantilever load of the right hand pannier, but also the rack strut which secures it to the seat stay/dropout junction is horizontal (presumably to clear the bulge formed by the bottom of the seat stay and/or to increase pannier/heel clearance), and similarly I expect the lower weld near that point would also be stressed by any heavy load.

It looks to me like the rack was designed for light loads, e.g. for commuters who want to take a laptop and a change of clothes.

I too would replace it with a proper conventional rack if using panniers to carry heavy loads like shopping or touring kit. The bulge of the seat stay where the bottom rack eyelet is would probably necessitate careful choice of rack, e.g. one like those designed to clear disc brakes.
BasicBob

Post by BasicBob »

Thanks so much for all your help guys. A new rack it is then.

I'm just looking at the one robgul suggested: https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/carriers-racks/black-madison-ridge-rear-cycle-pannier-rack-for-bikes-with-disc-brakes/

Does this look suitable for my bike?
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

There are several fittings.

The Ortlieb QL1 is an older version, still on some bags. It has a single lower rail, which limits the height

[youtube]6tUy4Q7-AJA[/youtube]

The QL2 has an oval lower rail, which gives a larger vertical variation

[youtube]5rzI6XOCjA[/youtube]

Then there is the QL3

[youtube]5rzI6XOCjA[/youtube]

It may be that one system fits better