First gen boardman team carbon...

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
jono2200

First gen boardman team carbon...

Post by jono2200 »

Hi all, new here...and I'm after a bit of advice. Let me start by saying fairly new to cycling and my knowledge is limited... So I came to own 2 bikes. A used boardman team carbon gen 1.... So a fair few years old and a Scott foil 30... Got them around the same time, (kind of committed to both at different times, so thought I would get them and keep 1) I wanted to like the Scott more as its a beautiful looking bike in fantastic condition, think its 2014, however I just couldn't get away with it so sold it on, I found the boardman is just way more comfy and I enjoy riding it more.. Now my question is, do I spend money upgrading the boardman. Currently has 10 speed rival. Or do I use the money from the foil sale 700gbp and sell both and buy something newer.... Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my LYA-L09 using hovercraft full of eels.
Jamesh

Re: First gen boardman team carbon...

Post by Jamesh »

Interesting observation why didn't you get on with Scott foil?

Newer boardman?

If you like the Boardman how about a Cannondale synapse or supersix. Sublime rides by all accounts.

Cheers James
hamster

Post by hamster »

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I'd be surprised if you got £much for it. More like £300? Secondhand bikes are not worth much, and yours is neither up to date for gear-heads nor classic.
See here, https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/382568637684 and plenty more.

Keep an eye on ebay to judge pricing. I'm not knocking it, it's a nice bike, just that resale values on most bikes are weak. So you have £1000 to spend, you will end up with something identical to the Boardman, maybe worse.

As to upgrades, what do you aim to achieve? Saving 1 kg of weight will do almost nothing. 11-speed stuff is tetchier and last less well. Why bother? If you don't have decent tyres, buy some really fast ones like Conti GP5000s - they WILL transform things.
jono2200

Post by jono2200 »

Thanks for that.... Firstly why didn't I get on with the foil.... I think it was a couple of reasons the main one being I'm a bit overweight and felt it just wasn't comfortable. It was the correct frame size but in fairness I maybe should have had a professional fit done to see if that improved things, but after a friend offered me what I paid for it I just let it go. So onto the boardman, maybe I have been lucky that it seems set up perfect for me... And where as the foil I just wanted the ride over with the boardman I was happy to go further if that makes sense. The boardman is probably 10 years old, it was the very first team carbon one. Which if I listen to the lad I got it from said it was a loss leader from them, and that it was their best one.... Don't get me wrong I'm not that nieve but like I say it seemed well looked after so I got it. It has 4 season tyres currently fitted? And the wheels are mabic aksium which I think have seen better days. I'm not bothered about having the latest kit. More just wanting to have a bit of an improvement

belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

I would suggest sticking with your bike for a year or two and trying incremental changes (tyres, saddle, bars) and then probably buying another second hand bike. New bikes are like new cars, significantly more expensive for not much extra.
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

I have a MK1 Cannondale carbon 6 which I've had for years and hammered it tbh.
I doubt I would sell it now as it's part of the family!

Lighter / faster wheels would help depending if you live in hilly / flat areas.

Something like cero ar24 or vision 35 if flat would improve on the cxp33 I expect you have on it at moment.
New lighter tyres might help too.

Other upgrades won't make too much difference tbh

Cheers James
jono2200

Post by jono2200 »

It currently has Mavic Aksium wheels with continental 4 season tyres.

Please change the Tapatalk settings to remove the auto-generated SPAM signature. Thanks.
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

I wouldn't sell it. You won't get a lot as has been said. Why not use it for a bit, lose a few kilos and, if hooked on cycling, look round for a new bike (or S/H) to a higher spec. Keep the Boardman as a spare or for winter or whatever. It's handy to have a spare bike for when you need to service the other and don't get round to it.
jono2200

Post by jono2200 »

Thanks for that, yes I think that's what I've decided on. I will just use it rest of this Yr, get my bike fitness up, hopefully lose a few pounds and look to upgrade next spring, and has been said for what I would get for it, it's deffo worth keeping... Thanks all.

Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Best time to upgrade to a new bike is autumn when the shop sales are on.

Or the Mrs is in to him to sell the under used carbon bike to pay for Christmas!

Cheers James
hamster

Post by hamster »

One last thing: most of us could do with losing a bit of weight and training more systematically. £500 spent on a training and weight loss programme with a coach would do us more good than bike go-fast goodies.
jono2200

Post by jono2200 »

hamster wrote:One last thing: most of us could do with losing a bit of weight and training more systematically. £500 spent on a training and weight loss programme with a coach would do us more good than bike go-fast goodies.
True.... At the moment I'm just starting on the cycling journey if you like and enjoying just getting out riding. I think the weight loss should come naturally being more active and making better food choices... Maybe being more structured further down the line, but at this point I'm just looking to enhance my cycling enjoyment.

hamster

Post by hamster »

@Jono good on you! Enjoy your riding, but don't get hung up on the kit. In the end it's the engine that counts!
Above all it's finding the bike that's right for you. Personally I love touring, hate organised ride events and would rather ride in the dark and rain than go to a gym or ride a stationary training bike.
jono2200

Post by jono2200 »

hamster wrote:@Jono good on you! Enjoy your riding, but don't get hung up on the kit. In the end it's the engine that counts!
Above all it's finding the bike that's right for you. Personally I love touring, hate organised ride events and would rather ride in the dark and rain than go to a gym or ride a stationary training bike.
Ha. That's what lad said who I got the boardman from... He said he used to get some of the guys taking mick or making comments about the bike being 10 plus years old he was using at different events but once out on road, he said that soon changed as he passed them on their more expensive bikes... And said those exact words that it's the engine that counts, obv I guess he would have been a bit faster on a newer bike but for what I want, I think it will do me to rack up some miles and get me used to it all.

hamster

Post by hamster »

:D