Chain woes.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
bigjim

Chain woes.

Post by bigjim »

This week the 8 speed chain keeps jumping on high cogs. 11 and 13 I think. Check the chain and it's worn. Replaced with new chain and re-indexed gears. It's still jumping! Ok. Worn cassette. But on inspection the teeth on said cogs look fine. Just as square as all the others. Can teeth look ok and still be worn?
Thanks. Jim.
alexnharvey

Re: Chain woes.

Post by alexnharvey »

Yes, it doesn't take much wear, especially on the small sprockets. You really need to put an unworn one right next to see it. I think there are some pictures on the forum which do just that.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

alexnharvey wrote:Yes, it doesn't take much wear, especially on the small sprockets. You really need to put an unworn one right next to see it. I think there are some pictures on the forum which do just that.

Due to to chainwrap on not many teeth
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

it only takes a few microns of wear on the sprockets to make it so that a new chain won't run right. If the affected sprockets are ones you don't use much then you have little to lose by running the chain for a few hundred miles and seeing if it all settles down or not.

However that the old chain was skipping on the sprockets is a bit odd; normally they don't do that; possibly there is another fault (eg not enough tension in the chain because the derailleur is binding, or something...?).

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

Brucey wrote:it only takes a few microns of wear on the sprockets to make it so that a new chain won't run right. If the affected sprockets are ones you don't use much then you have little to lose by running the chain for a few hundred miles and seeing if it all settles down or not.

However that the old chain was skipping on the sprockets is a bit odd; normally they don't do that; possibly there is another fault (eg not enough tension in the chain because the derailleur is binding, or something...?).

cheers

I blamed the old chain at first as when I used the chain checker it was well over the 75 limit. I'll investigate fuirther using the above advice.
Thanks.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

bigjim wrote:So this week the 8 speed chain keeps jumping on high cogs. 11 and 13 I think. Check the chain and it's worn. Replaced with new chain and re-indexed gears. It's still jumping! Ok. Worn cassette. But on inspection the teeth on said cogs look fine. Just as square as all the others. Can teeth look ok and still be worn?
Thanks. Jim.

I am surprised you say that. On my Shimano 8 speed cassettes the teeth on the very smallest sprockets are shaped as if they are worn ( but they aint), they aint and never were like the bigger sprockets. What brand are you using?
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

mercalia wrote:
bigjim wrote:So this week the 8 speed chain keeps jumping on high cogs. 11 and 13 I think. Check the chain and it's worn. Replaced with new chain and re-indexed gears. It's still jumping! Ok. Worn cassette. But on inspection the teeth on said cogs look fine. Just as square as all the others. Can teeth look ok and still be worn?
Thanks. Jim.

I am surprised you say that. On my Shimano 8 speed cassettes the teeth on the very smallest sprockets are shaped as if they are worn ( but they aint), they aint and never were like the bigger sprockets. What brand are you using?

I don't know as it's a while since I changed one. I imagine Shimano. It's an 11-34. But yes definitely square with that slight curved indent on the front face like all the other sprockets..
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

8 speed??
We're up to 11 speed now chaps!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

philvantwo wrote:8 speed??

I must have lost 3, off to the shed now to take a look for them 8)
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

it only takes a few microns of wear on the sprockets to make it so that a new chain won't run right.

I've seen this said more than once. If so why have I never worn out a cassette? Some of mine must have clocked up well over 10.000mls. I can't believe that they have worn by less than a few microns, bearing in mind that a micron is one thousandth of a millimetre. My gear changing is fine with a new or worn chain.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

gxaustin wrote:
it only takes a few microns of wear on the sprockets to make it so that a new chain won't run right.

I've seen this said more than once. If so why have I never worn out a cassette? Some of mine must have clocked up well over 10.000mls. I can't believe that they have worn by less than a few microns, bearing in mind that a micron is one thousandth of a millimetre. My gear changing is fine with a new or worn chain.

Sprockets can wear but if they wear in the right way they don't wear out, or at least don't wear in such a way as a new chain will definitely skip.

There are quite a few factors at work; one is which sprockets you favour, another is how hard you push on the pedals.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Not sure what your point is.
Or who "we" is.
Have just built up an 8 speed. It's great.
Do enjoy your 13 speed.
Sweep
pwa

Post by pwa »

2x11=22
3x8=24
I'm up to 27 now (3x9) and have been for many years. Catch up! :lol:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I'm on 10 x 3 x 3 = 90 .............. come on guys, catch up! :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
Ant...

Post by Ant... »

90 gears, nothing, i'm on pinion box and rolhoff hub 18x14=252!