'Sprintech' rear view cycle mirrors.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
JohnW

'Sprintech' rear view cycle mirrors.

Post by JohnW »

'SPRINTECH' REAR VIEW CYCLE MIRRORS.
Has anyone fitted and used any of these?
Does anyone use rear-view mirrors?
Any comments or advice? - any thoughts?
Last edited by JohnW on 30 Jun 2019, 9:57pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paulatic

Re: 'Sprintec' rear view cycle mirrors.

Post by Paulatic »

A search for Sprintec is an eduaction in contraception :)

Don’t drop the H if searching to discover what the OP refers to Sprintech.

A search here for mirror produces nearly 5000 results so to reiterate yes I use a mirror and on both bikes with drops I use B&M and would always buy another without hesitation.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
JohnW

Re: 'Sprintech' rear view cycle mirrors.

Post by JohnW »

Paulatic - if you want to discuss members' views on birth control you could start your own thread. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
'Sprintech' information is available on the SJS web-site.

I'll say it again, in a different way :

Do any members use bar-end mirrors?
What caused them to start?
Do they help - would users recommend their use?
Have any members used/tried 'Sprintech' mirrors?
Have users found them helpful?
Have members used more than one brand, and how do different brands compare?

'Sprintech' information is available on the SJS website
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/accessories ... ors-black/
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

John I pointed out your typo with a smile we’ve all made them. I failed to see even a glint in your response.

I also referred to a search here will give you nearly 5000 posts with reference to "mirrors".
A search for Sprintech gives a least 40 posts and I felt you might find many answers to your questions. Purely selfish as I was feeling week and didn’t want to read the same points over again. Maybe I’ve been here too long but then I see you’ve been here longer.

Edit: Whilst composing that John pleasingly got some laughter in the right place and helpfully put in a link which was originally lacking.

E2E info
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

JohnW wrote:Paulatic - if you want to discuss members' views on birth control you could start your own thread.
'Sprintech' information is available on the SJS web-site.

I'll say it again, in a different way :

Have members used more than one brand, and how do different brands compare?

'Sprintech' information is available on the SJS website
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/accessories ... ors-black/

I've used bar end mirrors on drop bars for a decade.

Their use was necessitated by my disinclination to crick the old neck trying to look over my shoulder.

They're far better than a look over the shoulder. In fact (despite what many trot out about a "lifesaver" look-back) good mirrors mean no need to look over the shoulder, which brings it's own hazard of then not looking forward and perhaps wobbling as you neck-crick.

I used Cateye convex mirrors for many years but now use the Sprintech as they're far more stable, don't vibrate and give a very clear view behind as long as you use both LH and RH. Two mirrors allows you to see all the road behind when it's bending, whereas a single RH mirror, for example, means you can't see the road behind (because of your hip) if you're traversing a LH bend. A LH mirror is needed to see the whole road then.

If I ride a bike without mirror, I now feel vulnerable. Mirrors allow you to know about traffic coming up behind at a glance, any time you like, whilst still being able to see forward. This is far superior to a momentary (but often still too long) glance over the shoulder only before turning right, especially if wanting to move to the middle of the road to turn right against oncoming traffic.

Cat-eye bar end mirrors had a larger surface area than the Sprintech but suffered from going out of alignment in the wind at speed and vibrating with poor road surfaces, to a degree that you couldn't make out what they were reflecting. Sprintech don't bend in the wind and don't vibrate. Their area is smaller but they give a clear view at all times. It's important to get the angle of dangle right. WIder bars help - even a 42cm rather than a 40cm width makes a difference.

You need to clean them carefully (as if they were spectacles) as they can scratch. Don't use the cloth you just used to wipe the mud off your rims! :-)

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Paulatic wrote:John I pointed out your typo with a smile we’ve all made them. I failed to see even a glint in your response.

I also referred to a search here will give you nearly 5000 posts with reference to "mirrors".
A search for Sprintech gives a least 40 posts and I felt you might find many answers to your questions. Purely selfish as I was feeling week and didn’t want to read the same points over again. Maybe I’ve been here too long but then I see you’ve been here longer.

Edit: Whilst composing that John pleasingly got some laughter in the right place and helpfully put in a link which was originally lacking.

How did you get to see my second post when it was half finished? :? :? - i.e. without laughing smilies? It's a mystery of technology. :roll: :roll: I must have pressed something wrong at the wrong time! :? :?

You have the advantage of me Paul in that you've used mirrors, and I haven't. A cycling colleague has used the mirrors for about a month, and is enthusiastic. I probably don't need much encouragement to buy and fit some. Another cycling colleague who has used them for some time says he feels blind without them (he has two bikes, but only mirrors on one at the moment).

Specific questions that occur to me are :
1). do you catch your knee(s) on them when pedalling?
2). do you tend to catch them on something when parking the bike?
Last edited by JohnW on 30 Jun 2019, 11:11pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Cugel wrote:...................................I've used bar end mirrors on drop bars for a decade.

Their use was necessitated by my disinclination to crick the old neck trying to look over my shoulder.

They're far better than a look over the shoulder. In fact (despite what many trot out about a "lifesaver" look-back) good mirrors mean no need to look over the shoulder, which brings it's own hazard of then not looking forward and perhaps wobbling as you neck-crick.

I used Cateye convex mirrors for many years but now use the Sprintech as they're far more stable, don't vibrate and give a very clear view behind as long as you use both LH and RH. Two mirrors allows you to see all the road behind when it's bending, whereas a single RH mirror, for example, means you can't see the road behind (because of your hip) if you're traversing a LH bend. A LH mirror is needed to see the whole road then.

If I ride a bike without mirror, I now feel vulnerable. Mirrors allow you to know about traffic coming up behind at a glance, any time you like, whilst still being able to see forward. This is far superior to a momentary (but often still too long) glance over the shoulder only before turning right, especially if wanting to move to the middle of the road to turn right against oncoming traffic.

Cat-eye bar end mirrors had a larger surface area than the Sprintech but suffered from going out of alignment in the wind at speed and vibrating with poor road surfaces, to a degree that you couldn't make out what they were reflecting. Sprintech don't bend in the wind and don't vibrate. Their area is smaller but they give a clear view at all times. It's important to get the angle of dangle right. WIder bars help - even a 42cm rather than a 40cm width makes a difference.

You need to clean them carefully (as if they were spectacles) as they can scratch. Don't use the cloth you just used to wipe the mud off your rims! :-)

Cugel

That's helpful, thanks.
I know about the neck getting stiffer as the years go by.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I don’t catch the mirror ever with my knee. Parking yes it can get knocked. Recent Heb tour and every time I retrieved my bike to leave the ferry the mirror had been knocked. Not a long term problem with the B&M it resets in a flash no damage done and never a sign of constant knocks weakening it.

E2E info
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Paulatic wrote:................Parking yes it can get knocked. Recent Heb tour and every time I retrieved my bike to leave the ferry the mirror had been knocked. Not a long term problem with the B&M it resets in a flash no damage done and never a sign of constant knocks weakening it.

Thanks again.
Something to watch out for then.
Good that you don't knock them with your knees.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

I've used a bar-end mirror for about a year now, it works well for most of the time but can be difficult to see when I'm using the drops. Easily knocked out of adjustment, but just as easy to re-adjust. Cateye BM300 I think it is.

I started using mine so that I could keep an eye out for vehicles coming up behind, and it works, I have fewer nasty surprises that way. (Only have one, on the right-hand side).

Have to watch out when leaning the bike up against a wall though!

As an aside, in my motorbiking days I used one, again on the offside - much better than the ones on stalks which used to vibrate too much.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Out this morning and took a pic of the view I have with the B&M mirror. There is certainly no need for a left and right with these.
Attachments
5F42620A-DC18-490E-9372-E1F9E51163A9.jpeg

E2E info
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Paulatic wrote:Out this morning and took a pic of the view I have with the B&M mirror. There is certainly no need for a left and right with these.

Only because your so skinny ( or is that lithe .. :) ) with my body mass all i would see would be my knees ...... :lol:
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

landsurfer wrote:
Paulatic wrote:Out this morning and took a pic of the view I have with the B&M mirror. There is certainly no need for a left and right with these.

Only because your so skinny ( or is that lithe .. :) ) with my body mass all i would see would be my knees ...... :lol:

Thank you Landsurfer at 13.5 stonesI’ve never considered myself skinny. Here we go I’ve added a couple of inches to give me a build similar to yours.
3FAC63AD-15F9-4ECD-92AD-01AF51F2823F.jpeg

E2E info
horizon

Post by horizon »

JohnW wrote:

JohnW: we've had long discussions about mirrors on here on the past. I'm always happy to add my voice to such discussions because (a) so few cyclists use a mirror and (b) I wouldn't cycle without one. I don't see why you wouldn't use a mirror and I don't see how you can cycle satisfactorily on the road without one. However, people did disagree with that and so we just had to ... agree to differ. I have my own favourite type of mirror but to my mind the important thing is that you have one. Bar end shifters require different mirrors.

Knowing whether a car is behind you or not, what size and how close allows you to adjust your road position accordingly. I think that's priceless and that constant knowledge of what is behind you, gleaned from multiple fleeting glances in the mirror, can only be achieved with a mirror.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

horizon wrote:...........................JohnW: we've had long discussions about mirrors on here on the past. I'm always happy to add my voice to such discussions because (a) so few cyclists use a mirror and (b) I wouldn't cycle without one. I don't see why you wouldn't use a mirror and I don't see how you can cycle satisfactorily on the road without one. However, people did disagree with that and so we just had to ... agree to differ. I have my own favourite type of mirror but to my mind the important thing is that you have one. Bar end shifters require different mirrors.

Knowing whether a car is behind you or not, what size and how close allows you to adjust your road position accordingly. I think that's priceless and that constant knowledge of what is behind you, gleaned from multiple fleeting glances in the mirror, can only be achieved with a mirror.

Thanks for that horizon, and everyone for your comments. I vaguely remembered that the subject had ben raised on the Forum, but couldn't remember when or under what title - shows how much notice I take! :roll: :roll: :roll:

Anyway, it seems a good move :D , so on the strength of good advice :D I've ordered a pair for each bike, from SJS. Price the same as bought by a friend on Amazon...................I wouldn't buy from Amazon myself though!
I ordered the white ones. 8) 8)