Hanging bike by front wheel on trains?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
toontra

Re: Hanging bike by front wheel on trains?

Postby toontra » 10 Jul 2019, 7:15pm

pete75 wrote:1:27 onwards here suggest hanging by the wheel is the best way to carry a bike on a train.

No rubber coating on the hooks these days - bare metal. Standards seem to be lower now! And look at all the space for bikes compared to the bloomin' shower cubicles we're forced to use on the new rolling stock.

RickH

Postby RickH » 10 Jul 2019, 9:01pm

toontra wrote:
pete75 wrote:1:27 onwards here suggest hanging by the wheel is the best way to carry a bike on a train.

No rubber coating on the hooks these days - bare metal. Standards seem to be lower now! And look at all the space for bikes compared to the bloomin' shower cubicles we're forced to use on the new rolling stock.

By design the hooks have a plastic covering, at least on all the trains I've travelled on in recent years. However it often seems to get damaged in use leaving bare metal where the rim hangs from it.

If you are bothered about the finish of the rims it is best to carry something to go between the rim & the hook. If I remember I tend to use a cloth of some sort (usually a J Cloth type) on the grounds that it likely to come in useful for other purposes on the bike.

toontra

Postby toontra » 10 Jul 2019, 9:05pm

RickH wrote:By design the hooks have a plastic covering, at least on all the trains I've travelled on in recent years. However it often seems to get damaged in use leaving bare metal where the rim hangs from it.

The new Hitachi "shower cubicle" hooks are brand new - and bare metal.

RickH wrote:If I remember I tend to use a cloth of some sort (usually a J Cloth type) on the grounds that it likely to come in useful for other purposes on the bike.

Therein lies the problem :wink:

pete75

Postby pete75 » 10 Jul 2019, 9:30pm

toontra wrote:

That was a carriage specially designed to carry bikes - usually used on boat trains the commentary said. By the looks of the markings I think they're borrowed from the SNCF.