Mirror + bar-end shifters

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
ChrisButch

Mirror + bar-end shifters

Post by ChrisButch »

After a lifetime of looking over (and under) the shoulder, neck arthritis is now making me think seriously about mirrors. I'm currently using bar-end shifters on drops, which rules out a lot of the more apparently elegant designs. Can anybody recommend a mirror which would work with this combination, without being obscured or knocked out of position by the hand when shifting? I'm not impressed by the designs which dangle at the end of long stalks.
yakdiver

Re: Mirror + bar-end shifters

Post by yakdiver »

I use this one, just wrap some tape around the mounting
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/accessories ... drop-bars/
horizon

Post by horizon »

yakdiver wrote:I use this one, just wrap some tape around the mounting
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/accessories ... drop-bars/

This mirror comes with a sturdy velcro strap which does the job 100%. It will only vibrate under fairly extreme conditions, yes will mist up in certain weather and yes, will be a bit obscured in rain. At night, it's brilliant.

Oh, and IMV, it will transform your cycling experience. And probably change the way you ride.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

I am puzzled at the lack of mention in these mirror threads for the spectacle mirror.
It is true that it takes a little getting used to, but I quickly found mine entirely satisfactory.
The field of view is complete. The only vehicle which might be out of sight is a recumbent positioned on my left and with its front wheel overlapping my rear. The rest of the road is visible.
Small head movements give complete scanning.
If you don't need spectacles shades or a helmet provide mounting points.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
horizon

Post by horizon »

Mike Sales wrote:I am puzzled at the lack of mention in these mirror threads for the spectacle mirror.

My only concern is that people use a mirror. Keep on posting - some people will find them good, others might use both or either at different times.

Do you have a link? I rate the Blackburn very highly so I'll always post about it, but alternatives are good to see.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

horizon wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:I am puzzled at the lack of mention in these mirror threads for the spectacle mirror.

My only concern is that people use a mirror. Keep on posting - some people will find them good, others might use both or either at different times.

Do you have a link? I rate the Blackburn very highly so I'll always post about it, but alternatives are good to see.

I have only used the Third Eye 05 type.

http://www.thirdeyemirrors.com/

I used to take the attitude that if you wanted to see what was behind you should look behind. Perhaps it is the stiffening of my neck with age which has changed my mind. I find that I can keep a close watch on traffic which is very useful, even reassuring.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Mike Sales wrote:I used to take the attitude that if you wanted to see what was behind you should look behind.

You would need to be looking around most of the time (so I'm glad you're seen the light!).
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

horizon wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:I used to take the attitude that if you wanted to see what was behind you should look behind.

You would need to be looking around most of the time (so I'm glad you're seen the light!).

I don't feel the need to look round most of the time, or glance in the mirror. If I want to change my line it is necessary, but otherwise just a convenience. In many years of cycling I have never had to swerve out of the way of an overtaking, unheard vehicle.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

It is true that it takes a little getting used to, but I quickly found mine entirely satisfactory.
The field of view is complete. The only vehicle which might be out of sight is a recumbent positioned on my left and with its front wheel overlapping my rear. The rest of the road is visible.
Small head movements give complete scanning.
If you don't need spectacles shades or a helmet provide mounting points.

I wouldn't use one of these - too much risk of eye injury if taking a tumble or even bumping into a doorway or something while I get off the bike.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
horizon

Post by horizon »

Mike Sales wrote:I don't feel the need to look round most of the time, or glance in the mirror.

That's quite an interesting point (it probably belongs on another thread but this is a mirrors thread).

There must be various ways in which different cyclists think about how they ride and their relationship to other road users. I think a mirror has a key part to play in this which is why I am passionate about them. For other cyclists it might just be an alternative to turning around in order to make a manoeuvre.

I like to know what is coming up behind me from a distance so that I can take the appropriate road position. I am at all times aware of what is happening on the road behind me. IMV, you cannot do this by looking around - you would miss too much up front. Glancing in a mirror allows you to do it. I accept that for other cyclists it isn't their way of cycling - but I do like to encourage it!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

rmurphy195 wrote:I wouldn't use one of these - too much risk of eye injury if taking a tumble .......
This is my concern too.

In the same vein, I have my Cycling Proficiency Badge from 1966, and as I don't wear a helmet, I have often thought of pinning it to my cap.
Same concern ........ if I take a tumble, the badge could hurt ......... so I've resisted the urge.

On the subject of mirrors, I too am getting a bit stiff in the neck department, so my mirror is used a lot. It's so intuitive now that even when walking the dog, I look down to "the handlebars" to check the mirror. :lol:

I use a B+M 'bar end mirror, so I can't recommend it for the OP.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

rmurphy195 wrote:
I wouldn't use one of these - too much risk of eye injury if taking a tumble or even bumping into a doorway or something while I get off the bike.

Presumably you eschew spectacles too? They are much closer to your eyes.
Plastic mirrors are available, which cannot be more "dangerous" than plastic sunglasses.
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

Two years ago, I bought a Blackburn bar end mirror.
I have tried a few including the often mentioned B&M one, but the Blackburn was definitely the best, once set it was rock solid, no vibration and fantastic field of view. It was so good I became to rely on it.
Recently I bought a new pair of swept back bars, which I like so will be keeping.
Unfortunately the bars have an I.D. of 15mm, too small to fit the mirror so set about riding without it.
Once you get used to a mirror you miss it big time when you don’t have one.
First ride out a cyclist shot past me where he shouldn’t have, the gap was too small and of course I didn’t know he was there. He didn’t say a word, he was a middle aged tubby speedster, and possibly hates even older old gits on mountain bikes.
As I couldn’t get my mirror to fit I bought one of those spec mounted rear view jobbies.
It was awful, I just couldn’t get my head in the right place to see what was going on behind me, possibly not helped by the fact that I wear varifocals, and ditched it after my first ride with it.
I am slowly getting used to riding without a mirror again.
Beauty will save the world.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Vetus Ossa wrote:As I couldn’t get my mirror to fit I bought one of those spec mounted rear view jobbies.
It was awful, I just couldn’t get my head in the right place to see what was going on behind me, possibly not helped by the fact that I wear varifocals, and ditched it after my first ride with it.
I am slowly getting used to riding without a mirror again.

I understand your problem, but I would say, persist with adjustment. Now I know where the mirror should go I have no problems. I make sure that the mirror is well out, and that it shows an edge of my ear. It really does work well for me.
I use varifocals and find no difficulty.
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

I ride along with quite a few people using them and they seem quite happy with them, so may try again.
Beauty will save the world.