Garmin 1:50k Full Country SD Card

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Hibeebiker

Garmin 1:50k Full Country SD Card

Postby Hibeebiker » 17 Jul 2019, 2:41pm

Has anyone on this forum used an OS Garmin 1:50k Full Country SD Card? My Garmin Edge Touring is pretty useful but I sometimes find the map detail limited, such as when plotting footpaths routes, so OS mapping sounds like a potential upgrade.

Would you say it's worth the steep asking price of £140?

Are there any drawbacks? For instance, will I still be able to access routes already loaded on my Garmin, which I presume are saved on my Garmin's original SD card? Any feedback would be much appreciated.

mercalia

Re: Garmin 1:50k Full Country SD Card

Postby mercalia » 17 Jul 2019, 5:46pm

Hibeebiker wrote:Has anyone on this forum used an OS Garmin 1:50k Full Country SD Card? My Garmin Edge Touring is pretty useful but I sometimes find the map detail limited, such as when plotting footpaths routes, so OS mapping sounds like a potential upgrade.

Are there any drawbacks? For instance, will I still be able to access routes already loaded on my Garmin, which I presume are saved on my Garmin's original SD card? Any feedback would be much appreciated.

seems to be a rip off. eg memory map's equivalent is no more than £100 and to download is just £50
They sell Garmin gps so maybe see if you can buy there and install on yours?

https://www.memory-map.co.uk/maps/outdo ... r-1-50-000

I had a brief look and dont think so. still the price comparison still holds

if you have an android or apple phone maybe consider using that, as there are apps for the maps
Last edited by mercalia on 17 Jul 2019, 6:02pm, edited 1 time in total.

robgul

Postby robgul » 17 Jul 2019, 6:02pm

I have one - bought as a bundle withan Edge Touring - it's the full OSurvey 1-50,000 of the whole of the UK - 2014 version.

I've now moved on to a Garmin 1000 which runs other maps and not the OSurvey

.... so I have the OS MicroSD for sale .... PM if interested, I guess it's worth £25 to give it a go.

Rob

robgul

Postby robgul » 17 Jul 2019, 6:05pm

mercalia wrote:
Hibeebiker wrote:Has anyone on this forum used an OS Garmin 1:50k Full Country SD Card? My Garmin Edge Touring is pretty useful but I sometimes find the map detail limited, such as when plotting footpaths routes, so OS mapping sounds like a potential upgrade.

seems to be a rip off. eg memory map's equivalent is no more than £100 and to download is just £50
They sell Garmin gps so maybe see if you can buy there and install on yours?

https://www.memory-map.co.uk/maps/outdo ... r-1-50-000

I had a brief look and dont think so. still the price comparison still holds

if you have an android or apple phone maybe consider using that, as there are apps for the maps

... err, no - the Mem Map OS is a different technology to work with MemMap on a PC or with their (IMHO poor) Smartphone App not a Garmin. MemMap has lots of proprietary features to restrict what you can and can't do with their products, and an arcane licence system.

Rob

philvantwo

Postby philvantwo » 17 Jul 2019, 7:30pm

Mick F is the expert on these!

rualexander

Postby rualexander » 17 Jul 2019, 10:08pm

Try ebay, I got mine for £40.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 18 Jul 2019, 6:46am

Hibeebiker wrote:Has anyone on this forum used an OS Garmin 1:50k Full Country SD Card?
Yes, though mine is quite old now.
Works very well indeed and I've no intention of buying a newer one.
Mick F. Cornwall

De Sisti

Postby De Sisti » 21 Jul 2019, 9:06am

robgul wrote:I have one - bought as a bundle withan Edge Touring - it's the full OSurvey 1-50,000 of the whole of the UK - 2014 version.

.... so I have the OS MicroSD for sale .... PM if interested, I guess it's worth £25 to give it a go.

Rob

If it's not been sold I'd be interested.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 21 Jul 2019, 9:28am

philvantwo wrote:Mick F is the expert on these!
My expertise is in having the knowledge that they can be copied. They are supposed to be copy-protected, but it's only a code buried in the data. Find it, delete it, and you can copy Garmin maps endlessly.

Same as any other software.

When I bought mine, I copied them and sold the originals for less than half price. I use the copies - Garmin Discoverer and Garmin City Navigator. Well out of date now - bought as SD cards in 2009.

The issue I had, was that you buy an SD card with a map on it. If you want another map, you either have to download it or get another SD card. Personally, I'd rather have the SD card version as I can fit it in any future device I may buy.

Trouble is, you can only have one SD card in your device at one time!
Hence my finding out how to copy them. I now have both my Garmin maps on one single SD card.
Mick F. Cornwall

Roger_H

Postby Roger_H » 21 Jul 2019, 3:41pm

I have an OS 1:50k card which I bought as part of a bundled Garmin 800.

For me the price was OK because it was part of a bundle - but I doubt I'd buy one at the full price Garmin or OS want! I tend to use it so a 1km grid square fills around 70% of the screen. Less magnification gives imho too much clutter on the screen and greater magnification makes it a bit hard to see any perspective.

But I often run with the data screens cf the map screen and only swipe over to the map when I need it - it helps a lot with battery life.

But if you don't have one already, there are loads of decent maps you can download based on the Open Street Map (OSM) There are also plenty of web articles telling you in detail how to set the files on the SD cards up so they work with a Garmin. (You just need a PC to slot the card into.)

In particular I often use OpenTopoMap on my PC and on that there is a button to swap to OSM and you can just follow easy links to download an area (such as the UK, France etc) in Garmin format.

Hibeebiker

Postby Hibeebiker » 22 Jul 2019, 7:57pm

Thanks for all the advice guys. Despite being a CTC member for years, this was my first post on this forum. I'll know to come back. Cheers.

robgul

Postby robgul » 22 Jul 2019, 8:05pm

De Sisti wrote:
robgul wrote:I have one - bought as a bundle withan Edge Touring - it's the full OSurvey 1-50,000 of the whole of the UK - 2014 version.

Rob

If it's not been sold I'd be interested.

Sorry - gone in the post to the OP today

Rob