Mavic A319 / Tyre compatability

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Jurassic2

Mavic A319 / Tyre compatability

Post by Jurassic2 »

Anyone with any experience in would a 28mm gatorskins fit safety on to a A319 622 x 19c wheel, previously fitted with 35mm tyre
reohn2

Re: Mavic A319 / Tyre compatability

Post by reohn2 »

The answer is yes.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Jurassic2

Post by Jurassic2 »

OK, thanks just looked a bit near the limit of a safety issue, have you run with this combination
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I’m currently running 28s on my Mavic A319’s with no problems - not Gators ( though I’m thinking of fitting some). A 28mm Vitoria Randonneur on th3 back and a 28mm Decathlon Puncture Protect on the front.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Jurassic2 wrote:OK, thanks just looked a bit near the limit of a safety issue, have you run with this combination

Yes,no worries.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Jurassic2

Post by Jurassic2 »

Thanks, 28mm now fitted, let's see how they go.
GranvilleThomas

Post by GranvilleThomas »

Yes I have done this as well and they will be fine, the Gatorskins are very puncture resistant and used them for a couple of years but they are such a dead feeling tyre and slip like hell in the wet on ironwork, tar banding and raised road markings that I needed a rest from the anxiety :D

I discovered a pair of old Hutchinson Top Slick folding tyres in a cupboard that I had forgotten about so fitted them and they are such a lively tyre that the difference in feel is remarkable, but of course they won't be so puncture resistant as the Gatorskins, so will have to decide what to do at the end of the summer.
Jurassic2

Post by Jurassic2 »

Thanks Granville for the "headsup" certainly seem ok and a tad quicker on the commute
GranvilleThomas

Jurassic2 wrote:Thanks Granville for the "headsup" certainly seem ok and a tad quicker on the commute

They were certainly very good commuting tyres for me and the only puncture I had was when I cycled over a broken and jagged upturned base of a bottle or jar that nothing would have stopped quite frankly.

Certainly very reliable when I was working late into the night and had to cycle over the mountain at midnight in the winter.

I even patched the big gash from the bottle and they still worked fine, but as i stated just watch out as the compound in my experience is a little 'hard' but once you get used to this performance characteristic, you should be OK.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

you might find an acceptable compromise for the wintertime is running a lighter-built tyre at the front than the back.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GranvilleThomas

Brucey wrote:you might find an acceptable compromise for the wintertime is running a lighter-built tyre at the front than the back.

cheers

That's not a bad idea actually and not something I have considered before, there's certainly plenty of life left in the one Gatorskin that didn't encounter the 'bottle'.

I also have some almost unused Panaracer Pasela TG tyres that I used a previous pair of to commute on, but the sidewalls deteriorated so suddenly that I was concerned about a sidewall blowout in the middle of the night and having a long walk home!

They were great tyres otherwise mind you and I think the problems with sidewall deterioration may have been caused by ultra violet. Of course I have no proof of this but they were used in the same conditions as my other commuting tyres.

I was thinking of painting the gumwall with black acrylic paint to try and offer some protection, I suppose I have nothing to lose and I wonder if anyone else has tried this but the tyre is no longer available in the TG build and is know called the Panaracer Pasela PT, so maybe they are more robust in this respect?
NetworkMan

Post by NetworkMan »

I thought that the 'received wisdom' was that a 28 mm tyre on a 19 mm rim would give a worse ride than a 28 mm on the more ideal width of 15-17 mm?
GranvilleThomas

NetworkMan wrote:I thought that the 'received wisdom' was that a 28 mm tyre on a 19 mm rim would give a worse ride than a 28 mm on the more ideal width of 15-17 mm?

You could well be correct, but I also used the Gatorskins on some Mavic X517 rims as well and they have a 17mm internal width and i could not really notice any difference - good reliable commuting tyres but the sidewall stiffness made them feel a bit dead to me - they got me home every night without fail mind you even though the freezing fog on top of the mountain stopped my gear cables moving on a few occasions!