Topeak Pocket Rocket

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Shoogle

Topeak Pocket Rocket

Post by Shoogle »

Most people read reviews of things they're thinking of buying. I bought the thing, then read the reviews. Is the Topeak Pocket Rocket really that bad? I haven't used it yet, so I can still return it. It's for 57-622 tyres on my one and only, up to 45 psi max. I've also got a Zefal HPX that stays in a pannier, and a track pump at home. It was for using on the odd occasions I go out without panniers.
flat tyre

Re: Topeak Pocket Rocket

Post by flat tyre »

Yes, pretty useless really. Road side puncture, about 5 mins to change over the inner tube then about 20 mins pumping away to get 45 psi in the tyre. Either use co2 bulbs or take a decent frame fit pump.
PH

Post by PH »

Shoogle wrote:Most people read reviews of things they're thinking of buying. I bought the thing, then read the reviews. Is the Topeak Pocket Rocket really that bad? I haven't used it yet, so I can still return it. It's for 57-622 tyres on my one and only, up to 45 psi max. I've also got a Zefal HPX that stays in a pannier, and a track pump at home. It was for using on the odd occasions I go out without panniers.

No. it isn't that bad, it is however the wrong pump for those tyres, it's a low volume high pressure pump and you want the opposite. I have one and it's capable, with some effort, of getting 90psi in 28mm tyres, you'll be there all day for 57's.
Can't you frame fit the zefal? I've never been a huge fan, though the ones I've had have been reliable and always done the job. My pump of preference is now the Topeak Morph (Other similar pumps exist) The mini pump style makes it easy to get the volume or pressure you want (Choose the right version) and is gentle on the valve.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

PH called it, wrong pump for your tyres
https://www.evanscycles.com/flynt-hv1-mtb-pump-EV304268
Something like this might suit you.
NUKe

Post by AndyK »

I've had a Pocket Rocket on my winter road bike for years and it's reliable and effective and can get a 23mm/25mm tyre to adequate pressure, which is the most you can ask of a road-bike mini pump.

But.

It's designed for high-pressure, narrow-diameter road tyres. Its narrow barrel means you can get to high pressures without needing superhuman strength, but it doesn't deliver much air for each push. With a 57-622 tyre you should tell any companions to head off and find a coffee stop while they're waiting. Possibly even a lunch stop. It will take you a while to fill that tyre. With such a wide tyre and low target pressure, you'll be much better off with a pump intended for mountain bikes - something like the Topeak Mountain DA, perhaps. If you don't mind carrying a little more weight, their Mini DX and Morph ranges are more pleasant to use. (I have a Mini DX Master Blaster - the model with a pressure gauge - on my touring bike, and again it's worked reliably for some years.)
Shoogle

Post by Shoogle »

NUKe, I'd prefer a push on pump as I've had recent trouble with unscrewing valve cores.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

The best portable pump that I know is the Lezyne Micro Floor Drive. Mass 150g and I can quickly get over 700 kPa (100 psi). It comes in both an HP and HV version and with or without gauge. Spares are available.

https://ride.lezyne.com/products/1-mp-mfdr-v204hp

It has one design fault: with fumbly fingers it's a bit easy to release pressure by mistake when unscrewing the connector.

Jonathan
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Jdsk wrote:The best portable pump that I know is the Lezyne Micro Floor Drive. Mass 150g and I can quickly get over 700 kPa (100 psi). It comes in both an HP and HV version. Spares are available.

https://ride.lezyne.com/products/1-mp-mfdr-v204hp

It has one design fault: with fumbly fingers it's a bit easy to release pressure by mistake when unscrewing the connector.

Jonathan

Spot on,great pump and surprisingly light too.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
robc02

Post by robc02 »

I've had a Pocket Rocket for years and would echo the comments above - just about OK for 23-28mm tyres for occasional punctures.

I've reverted to frame fit pumps (Zefal HPX) on most of my bikes. With them I can get any tyre that I am likely to use (25 - 40mm) quickly up to the correct pressure.
PH

Post by PH »

Shoogle wrote:NUKe, I'd prefer a push on pump as I've had recent trouble with unscrewing valve cores.

You just need to tighten them when you fit a new tube, either with a special tool, pliers or you may find the jaws on your chain tool fit. Alternative, buy tubes where the core doesn't unscrew.
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

PH wrote:
Shoogle wrote:NUKe, I'd prefer a push on pump as I've had recent trouble with unscrewing valve cores.

You just need to tighten them when you fit a new tube, either with a special tool, pliers or you may find the jaws on your chain tool fit. Alternative, buy tubes where the core doesn't unscrew.

Hmm. This does feel a bit like "it's not the pump that's wrong, it's ALL these damn innertubes that are wrong!" :-) A much easier solution if you haven't already spent the money is "buy a different pump in the first place".
PH

Post by PH »

AndyK wrote:
PH wrote:

Hmm. This does feel a bit like "it's not the pump that's wrong, it's ALL these damn innertubes that are wrong!" :-) A much easier solution if you haven't already spent the money is "buy a different pump in the first place".

Takes ten seconds to tighten the core, once, too much trouble for you? It isn't something that would dictate my choice of pump. You can't have your cake and eat it - screw on connections are the most secure, the price is they take a little longer to connect and you have to have tightened the cores.
Shoogle

Post by Shoogle »

I have tightened my valve cores but you never know.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Can we posit a rule that the more dashing the name the more rubbish the pump?

Pocket Rocket ==> small, powerful, dynamic. But in reality a load of [that stuff].

Road Morph ==> Morpheus, Roman god of sleep & dreams. Snore. But: the most efficient road pump I ever had, and the only one I can use with my cobbled-together clavicle.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
RickH

Post by RickH »

AndyK wrote:
PH wrote:

But if the cores in the tubes aren't fully tightened then you are going to be needing to pump the tyres more often because they are seeping a little air out of the valve.

And they will do that whatever type of pump you use.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.