2013 - 2016 Cannondale CAADX SAFETY RECALL NOTICE

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
LinusR

2013 - 2016 Cannondale CAADX SAFETY RECALL NOTICE

Post by LinusR »

I had this email just now. Just in case anyone's got a second hand CAADX and hasn't been notified.

Dear Evans Cycles Customer,

We are contacting you as our records show you have purchased a Cannondale CAADX disc bicycle, which may be impacted by this recall. As the recall is a safety concern, please discontinue use of your bike and consult the link below to confirm if your bike is impacted:
https://www.cannondale.com/en/Great%20B ... nd-Recalls

If your bike is impacted, please discontinue use and respond to this email with your nearest Evans Cycles store in the subject line and provide an image of your full bike plus serial number (the serial number is two letters and five numbers). Once we have received those details, we will have your local store order and install the free, upgraded (black, full carbon) replacement fork.

We anticipate receiving stock of the replacement fork by mid-August onwards. To avoid unnecessary inconvenience please do not bring your bike into the store until they confirm they have a replacement fork there for you.

We sincerely apologise for any inconvenience caused and we look forward to getting you back out on your Cannondale as quickly as possible.

Kind regards,

Evans Cycles Product Recall Team

https://www.cannondale.com/en/Great%20Britain/Safety-Notices-and-Recalls
zeberdy

Re: 2013 - 2016 Cannondale CAADX SAFETY RECALL NOTICE

Post by zeberdy »

I have a bike that is part of this recall which means it is of the road which is pretty frustrating can I ask if anyone has had these replaced yet ?

Many Thanks
LinusR

Post by LinusR »

zeberdy wrote:I have a bike that is part of this recall which means it is of the road which is pretty frustrating can I ask if anyone has had these replaced yet ?

Many Thanks

I'm still waiting. However, a guy on the Singletrack forum says he's now had his replacement forks fitted. Evans sent me and email telling me 25 December (yes, Xmas Day!) for a replacement and then the shop told me mid-October... maybe. I'm getting a little tetchy with Cannondale for not issuing an update notice of when forks will be available for UK dealers to replace. You heard anything?
zeberdy

Post by zeberdy »

Thanks for the reply on the recall and info on singe track forum that sounds promising I have founf that article and there are some pictures of the replacement forks fitted I have posted link below in case anyone else has the issue.

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topi ... 16/page/2/

I am going to chase up my local dealer and send him the link. I did try to contact Cannondale but using the email address they posted on a recall notice it just bounced back and finding it very difficult to find a contact in the UK. I did make a post on their Facebook page and that went unanswered too.

Have to say not very impressed how this is being handled.
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Latest news on twitter is mid January! Google the email address of the CEO and contact him!!
brumster

Post by brumster »

philvantwo wrote:Latest news on twitter is mid January! Google the email address of the CEO and contact him!!

Mid Jan is the latest ETA for replacement forks AFAIK. But to be fair to Cannondale if the reported 10,000 affected bikes is correct following the fatality, to manufacture 10,000 replacement forks in the far east at short notice isn't going to happen overnight.
Syd

Post by Syd »

brumster wrote:
philvantwo wrote:Latest news on twitter is mid January! Google the email address of the CEO and contact him!!

Mid Jan is the latest ETA for replacement forks AFAIK. But to be fair to Cannondale if the reported 10,000 affected bikes is correct following the fatality, to manufacture 10,000 replacement forks in the far east at short notice isn't going to happen overnight.

My 2013 CAADX would have been impacted by this recall had it not been written off in 2015. Reason for the write-off was the forks were damaged when I was hit by a car and Canondale were quoting 18 months for a replacement so car insurers paid out for a new bike.
LinusR

Post by LinusR »

An update by email today.

Cannondale have confirmed that we will receive at least 2 drops of forks a month and are being supplied in the order in which they were submitted.

We do ask for your patience whilst we work with Cannondale to get this turned around and you back out on your bike as quickly as possible.

Please be advised this is most accurate information we are able to provide you at this time and will provide updates when available. The store will make contact once your allocated fork has been received to make the necessary arrangements.

Thank you for your continued patience on this matter.

Kind regards,

Evans Cycles Product Recall Team
Adam75

Post by Adam75 »

I’m still waiting for my replacement forks. Does anyone know if there is a legal time limit for replacing faulty products? I believe it only states replacement within a reasonable period of time, what is a reasonable period time?
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

All I do is venture the suggestion that this might be a hoax.
I should coco.
RickH

Post by RickH »

Valbrona wrote:All I do is venture the suggestion that this might be a hoax.

Don't know why you suggest that, it is well documented.

Such things do happen. My Kinesis had a similar recall. Although, in that instance, my bike was only at my LBS for about a week getting sorted with new forks.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Chat Noir

Post by Chat Noir »

My son bought one of these bikes from a good bike shop in York.

His is affected by the recall. For various reasons I've been dealing with the bike shop. In August I sent the bike shop a set of photos so that they and Cannondale could check whether affected or not (they are). The shop wrote back to me at the beginning of September:

"Just to let you know we have spoken to Cannondale to find out when we will be receiving the forks and unfortunately this wont be till mid-January due to the high demand. Sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused. Both us and Cannondale are trying to solve this as quick as we can but may be a while due to the sheer volume of forks needed to be created".

Like others, disappointed with this, both the bike shop and the manufacturer but, in the scheme of things stuff happens. Fortunately, for my son, I have too many old steel bikes and he's coming over for a ride tomorrow so will see what I can set him up with. I will talk with him about contacting Cannondale directly and suggesting that this length of time without a bike is not reasonable and see how they respond, but won't hold my breath. Will also watch this threads with interest.
Dawes Galaxy 1979; Mercian 531 1982; Peugeot 753 1987; Peugeot 531 Pro 1988; Peugeot 653 1990; Bob Jackson 731 OS 1992; Gazelle 731 OS Exception 1996; Dolan Dedacciai 2004; Trek 8000 MTB 2011; Focus Izalco Pro 2012
LinusR

Post by LinusR »

Chat Noir wrote:Will also watch this threads with interest.

My new fork was fitted this week and I have my bike back - that was a three month wait from the notice of the recall. But the replacement fork is very nice. A different shape and a full carbon steerer, which has more clearance so I could fit a much bigger front tyre
Last edited by LinusR on 25 Oct 2019, 10:45pm, edited 2 times in total.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

That was quick :roll:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden