Shoes too tight: The fix.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Gearoidmuar

Shoes too tight: The fix.

Post by Gearoidmuar »

I bought a pair of new Shimano MTB shoes on the internet. Size 46. My usual, always fits.
Problem. They were too tight. Made of synthetics, not leather. Very tight across front of foot and toes. Tolerable without insoles but inside surface too bumpy to wear without insoles.
Googled. Two suggestions. Boiling water or hairdryer.

Went for hairdryer. Had a pair of shoe trees of correct size. Rammed into shoes with two pairs of thick socks on them. Heated tight area with hairdryer. Did this twice, allowing to cool.
Result: Wearable with no cosmetic damage. Made a difference of about half a size, which is what you want.
Apparently, it's recommended nowadays to get Shimano shoes half a size too big. My last several pairs of shoes have been of different makes.
There's a difference between snug and too tight!
Jdsk

Re: Shoes too tight: The fix.

Post by Jdsk »

Gearoidmuar wrote:Apparently, it's recommended nowadays to get Shimano shoes half a size too big. My last several pairs of shoes have been of different makes.

I'd suggest +1 Continental European size.

Jonathan
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Buy shoes that fit, irrespective of the number on the side of the box, shirley? Different lasts make a huge difference - there's some that no matter how big I bought them I couldn't get my wide-ass plates in!
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

I'd recommend you use one of these. My feet are wide, so bought a pair of Sidi Mega shoes.
I still had to use the shoe stretcher on them.
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

Jdsk wrote:
Gearoidmuar wrote:Apparently, it's recommended nowadays to get Shimano shoes half a size too big. My last several pairs of shoes have been of different makes.

I'd suggest +1 Continental European size.

Jonathan

That's half a conventional size!
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

De Sisti wrote:I'd recommend you use one of these. My feet are wide, so bought a pair of Sidi Mega shoes.

Don't think that would work on synthetics, without heat.
fausto99

Post by fausto99 »

Bonefishblues wrote:Buy shoes that fit, irrespective of the number on the side of the box, shirley? Different lasts make a huge difference - there's some that no matter how big I bought them I couldn't get my wide-ass plates in!

Easier said than done!!! I don't see any shoes that are foot shaped and this applies to all shoes, not just Shimano cycling shoes. All shoes have, to a greater or lesser extent, pointed ends which scrunch up your toes and force the big toe towards the centre.

Whew! I can get off my soapbox now. :lol:
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

fausto99 wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:Buy shoes that fit, irrespective of the number on the side of the box, shirley? Different lasts make a huge difference - there's some that no matter how big I bought them I couldn't get my wide-ass plates in!

Easier said than done!!! I don't see any shoes that are foot shaped and this applies to all shoes, not just Shimano cycling shoes. All shoes have, to a greater or lesser extent, pointed ends which scrunch up your toes and force the big toe towards the centre.

I'm increasingly living/cycling in Crocs' widest styles tbh
fausto99

Post by fausto99 »

Bonefishblues wrote:I'm increasingly living/cycling in Crocs' widest styles tbh

Where d'you get SPD Crocs then? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Big squashy sole on big wide pedal may not be optimal, but who cares, really? :lol:
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

Gearoidmuar wrote:
De Sisti wrote:I'd recommend you use one of these. My feet are wide, so bought a pair of Sidi Mega shoes.

Don't think that would work on synthetics, without heat.

I would disagree with you. However, if you still hold to your view, try one of these.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

fausto99 wrote:

Blessed with the precise opposite problem, size 13 XXnarrow feet, I hate the fact that wide fittings are advertised as a good thing. Who wants shoes that if long enough result in your clodhoppers rolling around like a coracle on the high seas?

Further, I find that for cycling shoes, you need at least one, maybe two sizes larger than normal shoes for the same length, which leaves me adrift trying to get size 50s! Why? Who knows.

mercalia

Post by mercalia »

send them back and get the right size
Des49

Post by Des49 »

I have very wide short feet, never found any shoes that fit perfectly.

The modern synthetic cycling shoes do not wear in like shoes of yesteryear and I have encountered the same issue as the OP. I like my racing shoes to be very snug and do not want to get them too much longer than necessary, which means many are just too narrow a fit across the forefoot. My current pair of Sidi racing shoes are starting to break up on the uppers, I got a bargain replacement pair recently for when I need them, couldn't resist £124 for a £300 pair of shoes, exact same model as my old pair.

Same size 40, but can hardly get my foot in them. I know they will wear in a bit over time like the old pair, if I have trouble may try the hair drier trick myself!
fausto99

Post by fausto99 »

...and another thing. This stretcher is not foot shaped either....