406 rims (20") for larger hubs

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
alexnharvey

406 rims (20") for larger hubs

Post by alexnharvey »

I'm considering building a dynamo wheel for a Circe tandem with 406 rims. The current wheel is built 1x and the bike currently uses rim brakes although can take discs. The stock rims are Alex da16, available from Circe for £30.

I've been looking at other rims like the Ryde Andra 40 which have angled drilling to reduce the angle at the nipple. However it didn't seem that easy to find this rim to order in the UK. I'll be using a Shimano XT dynamo hub. Is it a significant benefit to look for this rim and then build the wheel 2x, or will it be good enough just to build it up 1x on the da16 rim?

Also, do you know if a source for short spokes?
UpWrong

Re: 406 rims (20") for larger hubs

Post by UpWrong »

SJS for short spokes. 2X is usual with IGH hubs etc. Consider Halo sub4 rims.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

If you can't find an Andra rim you could angle the holes in an Alex rim slightly with suitable sized drill bit.
We have Circe with an electric front hub which bigger than a dynohub.It's running OK on a very similar rim to the sales one.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/v2gLT ... 85-h385-rw
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

My Moulton with 406 rims are built 2x.
Hub dynamo on the front, and SA3sp on the rear.
No issues whatsoever.

Spokes came from SJS.
Mick F. Cornwall
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

Try contacting "Inspired Cycle Engineering" based out of Falmouth as they use a lot of 406 rims with their recumbent trikes.

They built up my Rohloff hub 2x and a SON dynamo 3x in 406 rims for my bent trike.

Luck ........ :D
RickH

Post by RickH »

My Circe Helios has an Alfine IGH hub at the rear & 1x build with no "lacing" (the spokes do not touch where they cross). I thought about rebuilding the wheels with 2x but stuck with the 1x. Sapim spokes with polyax nipples help with the angles at the rim & seem readily available - my LBS didn't seem to have any trouble getting the right lengths of short spokes.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

Thanks all, might stick with the da16 rim and 1x or 2x. I will be using polyax nipples. I might calculate what the spoke angle will be at 2x, can't visualise it.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

With rim brakes, there is no torque on the front hub.
I would be tempted to use 1x in order to get the "best" angle between spoke and rim, but Shimano sometimes specify the number of crossings, and sometimes its just "not for radial spoking". In any case, I would set the spokes if I don't like the angle at the rim, and stress-relieve energetically.
As I remember, Shimano Alfine hub gears used to specify 3 or 4 cross, which is absurd with a big hub in a small wheel. I used to build them 2x with the customers' consent.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

alexnharvey wrote:
I've been looking at other rims like the Ryde Andra 40 which have angled drilling to reduce the angle at the nipple. However it didn't seem that easy to find this rim to order in the UK.

you can buy this rim locally.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~