Removing not quite straight Datatag sticker

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
jimbop

Removing not quite straight Datatag sticker

Post by jimbop »

I just installed a Datatag sticker on my beautiful new (titanium) Reilly Gradient but didn't get it perfectly straight, which is messing with my OCD. Clearly it's designed not to be removed but I'd like to get it off and replace it straight. Second question; can I can a replacement with the same serial number?

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
AMMoffat

Re: Removing not quite straight Datatag sticker

Post by AMMoffat »

On the previous system with the microchip for the tube I once received several frame stickers that wouldn't come off the backing paper. Datatag were able to replace those. Only they will be able to tell you what they can do with the current system. Why don't you email or ring Datatag and ask them.
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Next time spray diluted washing up liquid to the surface then apply your sticker, position it then leave to dry overnight. :D
bungle73

Post by bungle73 »

Just installed the system on my new(ish) bike and I ended up with the same problem. I think you made the same mistake I did, which is to peel the sticker completely off the backing before trying to stick it on. Got the sticker close to the frame where I wanted it, and accidently got part stuck to the frame before I'd positioned it properly. Tried to remove the part that stuck, but the sticker started disintegrating (bearing in mind this is a replacement sticker I had send out because I f'd up the first), so I decided I'd best just stick it down where it was. Now it's slightly wonky, which is annoying me, but I'm trying my best not to think about it, because there is really nothing I can do about it. Luckily it's in a not very noticable position, at the base of the seat tube, partially obscured by the bottle and cage when standing by the bike and looking at it, rather than at the top of the sest tube in full view, which is where I put it on my other bike.

The instructions say to only peel part of the sticker from the backing, before attempting to apply it, which I assume is both our mistakes.
Darkman

Post by Darkman »

Best way to dry-apply stickers/decals is to align it, then hold it in place down the centre with a bit of masking tape, and at one end. Peel the backing off of the other end, smooth it down, remove the rest of the masking tape and apply the rest of the sticker.

For Googlage, it's called "the butterfly method". There is also the hinge method but the former works best (for me) for stickers on curved surfaces. Both work well for stickers and decals of any size.

The wet application mentioned above also works, but small stickers and decals will move with the slightest touch so once it's applied, just stay away from it overnight. Do not keep poking and prodding at it. I'd only use the wet method for really big decals that can be cumbersome to handle with either of the dry methods.