Audax Bike (Spa?) with Tourer Gearing & Double vs. Triple

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Tigerbiten

Re: Audax Bike (Spa?) with Tourer Gearing & Double vs. Triple

Post by Tigerbiten »

pwa wrote:My nightmare braking situation is when on a narrow, very steep descent you find a wash of sand, grit or gravel across the road on a tight bend, under which circumstances I have had both wheels locked up together and the bike drifting across the road at 5mph with no sign of being able to come to a halt.

Been there and done that on my recumbent trike.
But it was on a sheet of mud/clay washed out of a field.
Came around the downhill corner and just lost all brakes and steering.
I ended up scraping down the cornish bank lining the road at that place.
I hit the bank with enough force to bend the front wheels stub axle.
I only found out latter that the force of the hit plus the weight of my trailer also caused the trikes frame to take on a sideways bend under the seat.

Luck ........... :D
Brucey

Re: Audax Bike (Spa?) with Tourer Gearing & Double vs. Triple

Post by Brucey »

re BMWs telelever; yes it isn't a bad scheme for a road/touring motorcycle. But it hasn't yet been shown to be a fast way round a racetrack and possibly it is only safe on the road when combined with ABS...?

The telelever is a revised version of the Saxon/ Saxon-Motodd design, which has been kicking around for decades. It has some advantages but it still uses sliding bushings which means that the suspension quality is affected under braking; posh (expensive) bushings can mitigate this effect but it is still present.

BMW also use what they call 'duolever' on some models which is really a warmed over Hossack (or Hossack/Fior) design. This is a bit like a double-wishbone car suspension, but with the main part of the upright able to steer. This system was used successfully in the Britten race bike, but it took a very long time to get it to work in the way desired.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~