He's crashed!

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
ipcookson

He's crashed!

Post by ipcookson »

OK, came off my bike when trying to rejoin a shared path from the road last week (think I clipped the kerb that wasn't flush). Bike looks ok, few scuffs here and there, but concerned about the carbon forks. It's a cannondale synapse. Is there anyway of checking that I haven't caused any damage that might lead to them failing other than a visual check for cracks? Or would it need my LBS to check it over?
mattsccm

Re: He's crashed!

Post by mattsccm »

Any marks? If not I would worry personally. If so try to gauge damage. A shop will almost certainly err on the side of caution as,if you ask, they say all is well and then, at some time in the future the forks snaps, you might blame them.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Part of the assessment must be mulling over what exactly happened in the crash. Did the front wheel do anything that might have momentarily bent the forks backwards more than they are meant to go(probably not) or did the forks hit the ground hard?
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

If there are no visible cracks then they are likely to be ok - Maybe a very powerful torch/light shining throught the carbon can be used as a further check? I have experience of glass fibre (but nb no experience of CF) and I've found a strong light to be useful with glassfibre structures. Other than that, someone may be more knowledgeable. I wonder if 'ringing' a carbon fibre item gives any indication of cracks, like it does with other materials?
pwa

Post by pwa »

Or try sending the forks to this place to be tested.

https://carbonbikerepair.co.uk/#healthcheck

I have no idea how good they are or what it costs, but it might be worth considering.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Probably nothing to worry about.. if you think about what force they are likely to have taken in the fall, then it ps unlikely to be any worse than the rigours of day to day riding.
NUKe

Post by ipcookson »

Thanks all. In terms of forces involved I basically went down sideways, landing on my side (and head), so I don't think the forks took a huge amount of impact. Certainly doesn't appear to be any damage.
zenitb

Post by zenitb »

If the front wheel is still true the there can't have been that much force on the forks..:-)
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

I came off my carbon bike in Mallorca - sideways like you. I didn't give it a thought. Having ridden over 1,000 miles since and having seen 40+mph on my Garmin since I have concluded that they are OK.
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

Bicycle repair shops have a special laboratory in their backrooms. They have devices that send electromagnetic waves through carbon fibre structures in the manner of MRI scanners to determine fractures and the like. Only these devices are more expensive than MRI scanners. This is why you don't see them - they are kept under lock and key and are only ever used once in a while when someone turns up in their shop with a carbon bike part that has possibly sustained some damage.
I should coco.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

:lol:
Valbrona wrote:Bicycle repair shops have a special laboratory in their backrooms. They have devices that send electromagnetic waves through carbon fibre structures in the manner of MRI scanners to determine fractures and the like. Only these devices are more expensive than MRI scanners. This is why you don't see them - they are kept under lock and key and are only ever used once in a while when someone turns up in their shop with a carbon bike part that has possibly sustained some damage.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!