Cycling dead ends.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
tim-b
Posts: 984
Joined: 10 Oct 2009, 8:20am

Re: Cycling dead ends.

Postby tim-b » 9 Aug 2019, 11:36am

Hi
Thats got a padded top on it hasn't it?

The BG saddle is padded, the Unica Nitor wasn't and very comfortable it was too... type 55 image I'd have one now if they were easily available; out of fashion but not a dead end to me at least :)
Regards
tim-b
Last edited by tim-b on 9 Aug 2019, 11:59am, edited 2 times in total.
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~

tim-b
Posts: 984
Joined: 10 Oct 2009, 8:20am

Re: Cycling dead ends.

Postby tim-b » 9 Aug 2019, 11:49am

Hi
PS When will cycling helmets be declared a redundant dead end? :-)

When 107 years old cyclists stop proving their worth? :D :D forum link
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~

iandriver
Posts: 2097
Joined: 10 Jun 2009, 2:09pm
Location: Cambridge.

Re: Cycling dead ends.

Postby iandriver » 9 Aug 2019, 12:13pm

tim-b wrote:Hi
Thats got a padded top on it hasn't it?

The BG saddle is padded, the Unica Nitor wasn't and very comfortable it was too... type 55 image I'd have one now if they were easily available; out of fashion but not a dead end to me at least :)
Regards
tim-b

Think I'd want to heat it and mould it. Interesting to see it though.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....

User avatar
531colin
Posts: 12445
Joined: 4 Dec 2009, 6:56pm
Location: North Yorkshire

Re: Cycling dead ends.

Postby 531colin » 9 Aug 2019, 12:18pm

Heres Johhny!
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/cinelli-unicanitor-saddle/rp-prod54865
I rode these in the sixties....this re-write looks more like the original in the flesh than it does in this photo.
….but its lost those little perforations on the bit where your bum bones go....you know, the ones where the plastic fatigued and cracked, so the damned thing bit your bum when you sat on it.
Bought one some months ago in a fit of nostalgia, haven't ridden it yet.

Mike Sales
Posts: 2855
Joined: 7 Mar 2009, 3:31pm

Re: Cycling dead ends.

Postby Mike Sales » 9 Aug 2019, 12:19pm

Turn indicators.
Stop lights.

iandriver
Posts: 2097
Joined: 10 Jun 2009, 2:09pm
Location: Cambridge.

Re: Cycling dead ends.

Postby iandriver » 9 Aug 2019, 12:30pm

531colin wrote:Heres Johhny!
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/cinelli-unicanitor-saddle/rp-prod54865
I rode these in the sixties....this re-write looks more like the original in the flesh than it does in this photo.
….but its lost those little perforations on the bit where your bum bones go....you know, the ones where the plastic fatigued and cracked, so the damned thing bit your bum when you sat on it.
Bought one some months ago in a fit of nostalgia, haven't ridden it yet.


I suspect the one I had in the '70s was a cheap knockoff copy. The though of it still sends shudders up my spine.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....

User avatar
Sweep
Posts: 5358
Joined: 20 Oct 2011, 4:57pm
Location: London

Re: Cycling dead ends.

Postby Sweep » 9 Aug 2019, 12:37pm

iandriver wrote:
531colin wrote:Heres Johhny!
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/cinelli-unicanitor-saddle/rp-prod54865
I rode these in the sixties....this re-write looks more like the original in the flesh than it does in this photo.
….but its lost those little perforations on the bit where your bum bones go....you know, the ones where the plastic fatigued and cracked, so the damned thing bit your bum when you sat on it.
Bought one some months ago in a fit of nostalgia, haven't ridden it yet.


I suspect the one I had in the '70s was a cheap knockoff copy. The though of it still sends shudders up my spine.


:)

Yes I have seen such things and kinda wondered about that design - I favour simple cheapo plastic selle royal saddles. Great things.

But am rather concerned about Colin - after describing his earlier pain he seems to have paid for another round with his cruel mistress.
Sweep

bagpussctc
Posts: 126
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 6:45pm

Re: Cycling dead ends.

Postby bagpussctc » 9 Aug 2019, 12:45pm

Plagued by various production issues and a big fire. An enterprise that promised much.
ImageFrank Kirk . Precision Competition . by rebalrid, on Flickr

ImageKirk 2 by rebalrid, on Flickr

iandriver
Posts: 2097
Joined: 10 Jun 2009, 2:09pm
Location: Cambridge.

Re: Cycling dead ends.

Postby iandriver » 9 Aug 2019, 3:39pm

bagpussctc wrote:Plagued by various production issues and a big fire. An enterprise that promised much.
ImageFrank Kirk . Precision Competition . by rebalrid, on Flickr

ImageKirk 2 by rebalrid, on Flickr

In fairness to that one, I think the UCI banning everything but traditional diamond shapes killed that sort of thing off. Although the Y frame doesn't seem so common in the MTB world any more.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....

bagpussctc
Posts: 126
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 6:45pm

Re: Cycling dead ends.

Postby bagpussctc » 9 Aug 2019, 4:22pm

This Kirk precision stands proudly in our dining room . I have always admired the out of the box thinking .The concept of the design etc was new and as seen on "Tomorrows World" . I just reckon the odds were stacked againt Frank Kirk with this machine .
I think the TVM team rode an aluminium version back in the early 1990's ?
Wonder what a carbon fiber built one would ride like? Flex in the bottom bracket area ?

bagpussctc
Posts: 126
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 6:45pm

Re: Cycling dead ends.

Postby bagpussctc » 9 Aug 2019, 4:29pm

Samuel D wrote:Tubular tyres. Took a while, though.


No one has told me . I still have them on one of my rides . Mind you I pick the route with care. :)


The Cotter pin was cycling biggest dead end . Look how long it took to see the back of them . Price over quality

zenitb
Posts: 262
Joined: 7 Aug 2018, 9:59pm
Contact:

"Shorty" Guards..!!!!

Postby zenitb » 9 Aug 2019, 5:03pm

Shorty mudguards...LOL!!!

Mind you I suppose the benefit of buying a bike like this is that you at least knew there was room for real ones :-)
Image Attachments
2019-08-09 16.59.51.png

iandriver
Posts: 2097
Joined: 10 Jun 2009, 2:09pm
Location: Cambridge.

Re: Cycling dead ends.

Postby iandriver » 9 Aug 2019, 6:06pm

bagpussctc wrote:This Kirk precision stands proudly in our dining room . I have always admired the out of the box thinking .The concept of the design etc was new and as seen on "Tomorrows World" . I just reckon the odds were stacked againt Frank Kirk with this machine .
I think the TVM team rode an aluminium version back in the early 1990's ?
Wonder what a carbon fiber built one would ride like? Flex in the bottom bracket area ?

The 1997 Pinarello TT bike http://www.pinarello.com/en/hall-of-fam ... an-ullrich there's a beast. The brake levers are an interesting choice.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....

User avatar
horizon
Posts: 9350
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Cornwall

Re: Cycling dead ends.

Postby horizon » 9 Aug 2019, 6:26pm

I had what I think was called a Motor Roar when I was a child. I really thought they had disappeared but no:

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-a ... gIrYPD_BwE

Hmm, I might get one though. Good for waiting at traffic lights.
I have two doctors, my left leg and my right leg. (G. M. Trevelyan)
PS I always wondered why the YHA HQ was called Trevelyan House. :)

Brucey
Posts: 34785
Joined: 4 Jan 2012, 6:25pm

Re: Cycling dead ends.

Postby Brucey » 9 Aug 2019, 6:36pm

bagpussctc wrote:This Kirk precision stands proudly in our dining room....


best place for it IMHO. As a bike frame it was rather flexy, and wasn't as light as first billed once the thing had been made anywhere near durable enough. Anyone who has seen or used a Black & Decker Workmate Mk1 will have a strange sense of deja vu when regarding the Kirk frame; the reason for this is that the early type of workmate was made in the same way, i.e. from die castings. The castings even look similar in overall design; am I right in thinking that Kirk was involved in that development too?

Image

After a fairly short period of time the workmate was changed to steel pressings, which bent when overloaded instead of snapping like a carrot.

The Kirk bike frame disappeared by 1995; not sure the UCI had anything to do with it?

Good on him for 'having a go' and all that but IMHO the design is inherently compromised by the limitations imposed by the method of manufacture, moreso than with most other methods of frame manufacture.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~