Things we need not invented yet

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
David9694

Things we need not invented yet

Post by David9694 »

To contrast with cycling dead ends...

A simple on-board way to immobilise / make unrideable a bike, eg that locks-up the bottom bracket.
A robust lock (to secure the frame to fixed object) that doesn’t weight a tonne
An alternative to compressed air in tyres - no more Ps ever. (Those developed so far probably belong in the Dead Ends thread.)
Spa Audax Ti Ultegra; Genesis Equilibrium 853; Raleigh Record Ace 1983; “Raleigh Competition”, “Raleigh Gran Sport 1982”; “Allegro Special”, Bob Jackson tourer, Ridley alu step-through with Swytch front wheel; gravel bike from an MB Dronfield 531 frame.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Things we need not invented yet

Post by Mick F »

Maybe an inner tube impervious to air is what's required first.

Even if you never get a visit from the P fairy, your tyres will still deflate over time. My Mercian with 120psi in the rear tyre needs topping up every day or three. The higher the pressure, the faster the tyre looses pressure.
Mick F. Cornwall
speedsixdave

Post by speedsixdave »

Suspension with no drawbacks
Big wheels good, small wheels better.
Two saddles best!
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

As for the lock, I fitted a Dutch Bike Lock https://www.dutchbikebits.com/axa-defender-wheel-lock to my electric bike, with this lock you can also plug in an additional cable to secure it to something immovable. British bike theives are probably unfamiliar with this type of lock and I believe it will be more secure. Its simple, you can lock the bike in seconds and you cant lose the key so easily.

As for that invention...a saddle that treats my bum kindly please. In 13 years of recent cycling I havent found one. :?

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

David9694 wrote:To contrast with cycling dead ends...

A simple on-board way to immobilise / make unrideable a bike, eg that locks-up the bottom bracket.
A robust lock (to secure the frame to fixed object) that doesn’t weight a tonne
An alternative to compressed air in tyres - no more Ps ever. (Those developed so far probably belong in the Dead Ends thread.)

Doesn't weigh a tonne?

Ummm....ahhh...errr......I've got it!
Blockchain!!!!!!!!
NickJP

Post by NickJP »

Go to Amsterdam, and you will see most of the bikes have a "nurse" lock permanently attached to the frame at the seatstays for locking the rear wheel. Doesn't stop someone carrying the bike away, but they won't be able to ride off with it.

horizon

Post by horizon »

The bicycle's greatest need was for a lightweight motor: everything else was pretty cheap, easy to fix and reliable - it all worked. The motor has finally arrived in the form of the ebike. All the advantages of a bike remain: storable indoors, carryable on a train, easy to park, foldable, mobile in traffic, cheap to run, easy to operate, enabling of physical exercise and usable in the fresh air.

So why don't I get an ebike? Because I don't believe that first proposition - it didn't need one. But I do think that most people (albeit probably not cyclists) do believe it.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

David9694 wrote:A simple on-board way to immobilise / make unrideable a bike, eg that locks-up the bottom bracket.

Steering locks were relatively common in the past. It's difficult to ride if the front wheel is at 40 deg to the back wheel and can't be turned.
IIRC, there was a rod in the down tube that poked forward into a hole in the steerer when the key was turned.

A more recent take on a steering lock is the N-lock - a lockable stem where if you take the key out the handlebars can be turned freely without turning the front wheel. I had one at one stage (the lock jammed up), and can testify that if you try to ride the bike without locking the steering, you're lucky to get further than a yard without falling off. Riding no hands may be easy enough once you've got moving, but setting off from stationary with your hands in your pockets isn't.
It would still be possible to steal the bike and ride off, but you'd need to have a suitable replacement stem and stack of spacers (see Hexlox to foil this approach).
I had it to save on the width of hallway occupied by bike handlebars, with security as an added benefit.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

horizon wrote:The bicycle's greatest need was for a lightweight motor: everything else was pretty cheap, easy to fix and reliable - it all worked. The motor has finally arrived in the form of the ebike.

It worked 100 years ago too. We've got superbikes and helmet laws now.
Those who like to chip their ebikes may like to consider the lessons of history.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

al_yrpal wrote:I fitted a Dutch Bike Lock
Its simple, you can lock the bike in seconds and you cant lose the key so easily.
You just change the opportunities for losing the key.

Because the key is in the lock whilst you are riding, it can't be on your keyring with the house door key.
When you get somewhere, the key can often end up in a random pocket that didn't register in your brain because you were thinking of other things. OK, usually a thorough pocket search will find it, but there's also the possibility that it's (for example) been left on the pub bar because it was still in your hand when you ordered.
CliveyT

Post by CliveyT »

Sitting here staring at torrential rain (it's gone off scale @ the University weather station). An up-to the minute weather forecast?
(yes I know it was forecast for today- just need to know whether to set off for home or just head to the pub and wait).

failing that what about a rain (and wind) deflecting force field?
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

I use a rainfall radar app on my phone (NW Storm Radar)
An image every 5 minutes for the last couple of hours, up to 10-15 minutes ago.

You can make quite a good judgement of what rain is about and how fast it's moving.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

A splitable belt drive would interest me greatly, so you don't have to split the frame.

Edit on reflection, a maintenance free drive train.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

NickJP wrote:

Go to Amsterdam, and you will see most of the bikes have a "nurse" lock permanently attached to the frame at the seatstays for locking the rear wheel. Doesn't stop someone carrying the bike away, but they won't be able to ride off with it.

Have been wondering whether to get one for the 26inch exped bike.
Just put off by figuring out which model I need and whether it will fit.
With a ton of luggage on top I thought it would be handy for pub/shop stops.
For anything longer term I'd use a D lock.
Not bothered about additional weight - that bike is ridden on tour way beyond kitchen sink levels.
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

andrew_s wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:I fitted a Dutch Bike Lock
Its simple, you can lock the bike in seconds and you cant lose the key so easily.
You just change the opportunities for losing the key.

Because the key is in the lock whilst you are riding, it can't be on your keyring with the house door key.
When you get somewhere, the key can often end up in a random pocket that didn't register in your brain because you were thinking of other things. OK, usually a thorough pocket search will find it, but there's also the possibility that it's (for example) been left on the pub bar because it was still in your hand when you ordered.

ah just seen this.
(somewhere in the back of my addled brain I think I wondered about this).

Knowing me and my frantic pocket searching, you have just unsold me andrew.

Thank you.

Something else I don't have to buy.
Sweep