Bottom Bracket coming Loose

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
AndyA

Re: Bottom Bracket coming Loose

Post by AndyA »

Yup, the Token is Shimano spline. I have also never seen the 115mm version. This type of bottom bracket is a little sensitive to fitting, much like the Record/Chorus/Centaur units. If you tighten the left cup fully the bearings run a little tight. I usually fit them with threadlock and slightly less tourque. This is why I prefer the Veloce/6 dog type, the bearings don't bind appreciably if you properly tighten the cups. And those damn splines on the Alu cups are easily stripped out on Record/Chorus/Centaur, especially with the combined effect of threadlock and winter use
Brucey

Re: Bottom Bracket coming Loose

Post by Brucey »

AFAICT tifosi and token are different labels on the same thing. Both use the shimano tool and (as the post above rightly suggests) they are prone to excessive preload on the bearings if the LH cup is really tightened. IME all such BBs (from neco units to the more expensive ones that are laid out this way) have the same problem. The centre sleeve shortens slightly under the load of the LH cup and this preloads the bearings. A different tolerance on the axle shoulders vs the centre sleeve would sort it, as would some strategically placed shims.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~