Converting a Muddy Fox

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Brucey

Re: Converting a Muddy Fox

Post by Brucey »

there are various ways of getting them out (which vary depending on whether the dustcap has a lip inside or not, amongst other things) but with any plastic dustcap it may be damaged during removal. In view of this, unless you have a replacement dustcap to hand (that fits...) then you shouldn't be taking them out; its a complete waste of time.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Derekn

Post by Derekn »

Brucey wrote:there are various ways of getting them out (which vary depending on whether the dustcap has a lip inside or not, amongst other things) but with any plastic dustcap it may be damaged during removal. In view of this, unless you have a replacement dustcap to hand (that fits...) then you shouldn't be taking them out; its a complete waste of time.

cheers

Understood Brucey :D
Derekn

Post by Derekn »

Well on the way now......... Schwalbe Big Apple tyres, dynamo hub and M&B lights fitted, mudguards, rear Topeak carrier and new freewheel fitted. Waiting for delivery of Topeak trunk bag with side panniers. Have to buy and fit one or two bottle cages.

My only decision now is whether I change the handle bars. The old Muddy Fox bars are quite straight and very wide. Any thoughts?

Derek
Attachments
20190915_181000.jpg
20190915_180945.jpg
20190915_180936.jpg
20190915_180923.jpg
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

if you can live with them the trangular section would be use for attaching gear in the future eg computer or smartphone
rjb

Post by rjb »

Be aware that BMX stems as fitted to MTB's from that era may be 21.15 mm diameter. Measure carefully or try inserting a standard 22.2 mm stem to check. This could limit your options unless you have your fork column reamed out. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Or get an aheadset adaptor turned down on a lathe as I did.

Then you have as much adaptability as you like.

Looking good.

My retro MTB is my go to bike for pub runs!

Cheers James
Derekn

Post by Derekn »

Many thanks for the advice Mercalla, rob and Jamesh :)