What are those really narrow washers called?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
JonMcD

What are those really narrow washers called?

Post by JonMcD »

You've seen them. Usually under seatpost screws and stem screws where the washer outer diameter is the same diameter as the socket head cap screw. They aren't covered by the Form A - Form G range.
I thought one of these washers under my seatpost screw might be good practice. I can use the brutal technique of drilling out a suitable diameter washer but buying a few might be easier. But if you don't know what they are called, and your Google skills fail, then you are a bit stuck finding them.
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: What are those really narrow washers called?

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Seen them on ebay and they probably exist elsewhere, but finding them............. :?
As close as I can get.
https://apexfasteners.com/fasteners/sta ... 99d6828b8d
What size?
"Shaft spacer inner race" washer / shim.

https://www.pic-designcatalog.com/space ... t-spacers/
Attachments
2019-08-12_004539.jpg
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

M6 washers of about that pattern are to be found on every V-brake block aren't they?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Not sure what size he is after?
M6 M7 M8, 6&8 most common on bikes?
JonMcD

Post by JonMcD »

I was after an M6 washer. Following Brucey's suggestion I have found a couple of suitable washers in a bag of spare V-brake convex/concave washers.
So, immediate problem solved but I'm still left with the niggling thought that these washers must have a generic name.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
In my first link above, top right hand corner is in assembly of socket cap head screws recessed into a piece of aluminium.
I am not on my computer at the moment so I can't see Image well.
Same application as you see on handlebar clamp bolts, that's split clamp type ahead design.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

in stem clamps etc the bolts themselves often have a 'reduced head' that is smaller than say a standard M5 caphead, even if the threading is M5 on the bolt. This makes the washer size for such bolts different again from those which fit flush beneath the heads of conventional M5 capheads.

If you want to make some you will soon find that (unless you have a press so that the centres can be punched out) it isn't at all easy to drill out smaller washers. It is much easier to reduce the OD of washers that have the correct bore to start with.

One method that works quite well is to mount lots of the washers tightly on a mandrel that fits in a drill, then spin the drill at high speed whilst using a file or angle grinder on the work as it turns. The main problems with this scheme is that the mandrel needs to be exactly concentric and the washers are often left with burrs on that are difficult to remove.

Obviously if you have burrs on the washers, you kind of defeat the object of the exercise.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
What ee said ^ :)
Best is a lathe, ( I thought of drill method last night) but even then to make sure sharp burrs are off, even on a lathe you need a good eye sure steady hand and a ................file.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

I got some bolts with washers some years ago from a car boot in differing sizes for general household duties but used one for the much smaller adjusting bolts on the cradle of my titanium seatpost which was missing one from when I bought it circa 15 years ago.

Can't say I've noticed any difference and I'm as ham-fisted as the next.
JonMcD

Post by JonMcD »

The V-brake washers I found were a bit tight in the seatpost hole. Rather than scrape powdercoat off as I tightened the screw I enlarged the hole in an M5 washer using a grinding stone bit in a Dremel type tool. Third attempt sucessful. Not wanting to apply too much force on them the first two washers jumped out of the vice to join the other escapees on the garage floor.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

JonMcD wrote:The V-brake washers I found were a bit tight in the seatpost hole. Rather than scrape powdercoat off as I tightened the screw I enlarged the hole in an M5 washer using a grinding stone bit in a Dremel type tool. Third attempt sucessful. Not wanting to apply too much force on them the first two washers jumped out of the vice to join the other escapees on the garage floor.

jobs a good un, glad you sorted it, always nice when a bodge/hack comes to fruition :D