What should my next bike be?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Brianjeff50

What should my next bike be?

Postby Brianjeff50 » 12 Aug 2019, 8:43am

Having got back from a hard work 80 miler with my daughter I’m envying the lightness of her Cannondale compared with my Kinesis. And her lightness compared with my own.
I can’t do much about the latter but I’m tempted to change the former. But to what? My heart says a sexy carbon - I’m drawn to a Bianchi simply by their colour scheme - but my head says something more suited to my age (71) and riding.
I enjoy my riding, doing my Strava segments etc and feeling that within my limits I’m pushing myself but on an all day ride I could do with a bit more comfort - the Kinesis can start to feel harsh after four or five hours on our rubbish country lanes.
Anyone got any thoughts?

reohn2

Re: What should my next bike be?

Postby reohn2 » 12 Aug 2019, 8:52am

From what you say what you need is comfort more than anything else,tyres and tyre pressures are the first step along that road.
What do you weigh,what size and make of tyres are you using presently and what pressures do you put in them?
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

iandriver

Postby iandriver » 12 Aug 2019, 9:08am

From my knowledge of Kinesis, they aren't heavy frames. I'm guessing alloy with a carbon fork. If it's heavy, it's probably how it's built up rather that the frame itself. Which model is it. Kinesis are also know for having bigger tyre clearances than other equivalent frames, so as the above says, what are you currently using. What model of frame is it? It would be nice to know more about how it's built up, e.g. wheels etc.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....

pwa

Postby pwa » 12 Aug 2019, 9:09am

Sounds as though "sportive" rather than "race" is the way to go, with a headtube long enough to let you sit up a little when you want to. But if you fancy light, sexy carbon, go for it. Just make sure you can sit comfortably on it.

shobo

Postby shobo » 12 Aug 2019, 9:13am

anything you can smuggle in without your current Mrs finding out. Except they always find out.

Brianjeff50

Postby Brianjeff50 » 12 Aug 2019, 9:22am

iandriver wrote:From my knowledge of Kinesis, they aren't heavy frames. I'm guessing alloy with a carbon fork. If it's heavy, it's probably how it's built up rather that the frame itself. Which model is it. Kinesis are also know for having bigger tyre clearances than other equivalent frames, so as the above says, what are you currently using. What model of frame is it? It would be nice to know more about how it's built up, e.g. wheels etc.

It’s a Racelite 4S, size 55.5, carbon fork, Shimano (105) equipped, Plus Son wheels with 25mm Gatorskins.

The ride is 5’9”, 12st 4lb

I’m sure both could be lightened a bit :)

Brianjeff50

Postby Brianjeff50 » 12 Aug 2019, 9:58am

shobo wrote:anything you can smuggle in without your current Mrs finding out. Except they always find out.

Ha ha ha! I’ve given up trying the smuggling - I just go a bit vague on price and hide all receipts :)

Samuel D

Postby Samuel D » 12 Aug 2019, 10:15am

Gatorskins are pretty heavy-rolling tyres. Changing those to something faster will reduce the effort on a typical ride by an order of magnitude more than saving even several kilograms.

iandriver

Postby iandriver » 12 Aug 2019, 10:16am

Brianjeff50 wrote:
iandriver wrote:From my knowledge of Kinesis, they aren't heavy frames. I'm guessing alloy with a carbon fork. If it's heavy, it's probably how it's built up rather that the frame itself. Which model is it. Kinesis are also know for having bigger tyre clearances than other equivalent frames, so as the above says, what are you currently using. What model of frame is it? It would be nice to know more about how it's built up, e.g. wheels etc.

It’s a Racelite 4S, size 55.5, carbon fork, Shimano (105) equipped, Plus Son wheels with 25mm Gatorskins.

The ride is 5’9”, 12st 4lb

I’m sure both could be lightened a bit :)

I've got a 4S with deep drop calliper brakes, the first thing I'd do, if you like Gatorskins, is fit at least the 28mm version. If you can find out if they come up a bit small, then the 32mm may well fit.
I run 32c Vittoria Randonneur Pro II on mine, which come up a bit small at about 30mm, a real 32mm tyre won't fit, but they are few and far between.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....

Brianjeff50

Postby Brianjeff50 » 12 Aug 2019, 10:31am

Samuel D wrote:Gatorskins are pretty heavy-rolling tyres. Changing those to something faster will reduce the effort on a typical ride by an order of magnitude more than saving even several kilograms.

Interesting stuff about tyres from you and ‘iandriver’. I’m not very knowledgeable on this - the Gatorskins were on it when I got it and haven’t punctured in a year so I’ve taken them for granted. Maybe I should think about them.

whoof

Postby whoof » 12 Aug 2019, 10:33am

I've got a Kinesis Racelight T2 with Tiagra group set Shimano R501 wheels and Durano plus 25 mm tyres and mudguards. It's not light (~24 lbs) but it's not really heavy either. I did a 200 mile ride last month and was perfectly comfortable on it. If you are not finding your bike comfortable as above have a look at tyres and pressure.

With regards to weigh you could buy a new bike and save a few pounds, I have one that weighs around 17 lb, a weight saving of 7 lb. However I'm an inch shorter than you 18lb lighter and with a bit of effort I could lose another 5 lb in a few weeks.

If you want to buy a new bike then there are plenty to choose and I'm sure you'll enjoy riding it. If you want some more comfort and to reduce overall weight there are other avenues you could consider first.

iandriver

Postby iandriver » 12 Aug 2019, 10:51am

Brianjeff50 wrote:
Samuel D wrote:Gatorskins are pretty heavy-rolling tyres. Changing those to something faster will reduce the effort on a typical ride by an order of magnitude more than saving even several kilograms.

Interesting stuff about tyres from you and ‘iandriver’. I’m not very knowledgeable on this - the Gatorskins were on it when I got it and haven’t punctured in a year so I’ve taken them for granted. Maybe I should think about them.

The 4S was designed from the ground up to use deep drop calliper brakes. The whole point to it, and why I bought one, is that it's is essentially a road bike but without the severe limitation of most other road bikes. 28mm with mudguards is generally no problem. A lot of people seem to rate the Continental 4 seasons, but I've not tried them. Most people notice a substantial increase in comfort when going up to 28s without really loosing speed.

If your current bike fits you like a glove, it's probably worth at least a tyre change before spending on a whole new bike where nothing in terms of improvement is a given.

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 12 Aug 2019, 11:07am

Brianjeff50 wrote:

IMHO gatorskins are very far from the fastest or most comfortable tyre you can get. They make pretty good tyres to use on road bike for

-commuting
- autumn/winter conditions
- night-time use (where punctures are more of a problem when they occur).

I'd suggest that (unless you really can't fix punctures for some reason) you consider using something a lot lighter and faster in the summertime. I agree with Samuel that this is almsot certainly the single most important thing you can do, speed wise. You will also find that (at any given pressure) the lighter/wider tyres are more comfortable. 28mm ones will let you use mudguards in your bike so would be my choice.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jamesh

Postby Jamesh » 12 Aug 2019, 11:46am

Try some wiggle lifeline tyres
Either prime or race both much lighter than gatorskins and only £10 each.
Get 28mm as they come up a bit small

Done 2000 miles without a puncture apart from a pinch puncture.

Cheers James
Last edited by Jamesh on 12 Aug 2019, 10:37pm, edited 1 time in total.

whoof

Postby whoof » 12 Aug 2019, 8:18pm

I've ridden these and they are a pretty good tyre. Available in 28 mm

https://www.merlincycles.com/continenta ... 71989.html