Squeaking / creaking - Triban RC 500

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
krt28

Squeaking / creaking - Triban RC 500

Postby krt28 » 12 Aug 2019, 3:51pm

Hi everyone,
I've bought (about 8 weeks ago) a new Triban RC 500 road bike from Decathlon.
It is a lovely bike, rides very well, and I'm happy with it.
But...it squeaks. It sounds like the noise is coming from the bottom bracket.
I have taken it back to Decathlon a few times, and they have removed parts, added more grease, tightened everything up, etc.
It's then OK for a couple of weeks, then the squeaking / creaking starts again.
The current opinion is that dirt is getting into the bottom bracket area, and if the pedals are taken off, and the bracket is removed and cleaned and re-greased, it's fine.
I don't know much about bikes, but this seems very odd. It feels like I should only ever ride it on very clean roads to prevent it ever getting dirty (I live in London, so this is impossible!)
There was also a thought that the seat post was in too tight.
This all seems quite unsatisfactory, and wondered if any one had had similar experiences with the bike, or could offer any advice.
the thought of having to take off the pedals, take out the bottom bracket and clean every two weeks seems like a lot of work (and i don't own the tools I'd need)
Any help appreciated - this is my first post, so apologies if this is not right! I have some videos of the noise it makes - not sure if it's possible to post that on here.
Thanks!

thelawnet

Re: Squeaking / creaking - Triban RC 500

Postby thelawnet » 13 Aug 2019, 3:12pm

this is very common with press-fit bottom brackets.

like so common and annoying that many refuse to buy bikes with press fit bottom brackets.

my understanding it is due to the lack of precision on the machining on the frame.

but if you use better grease it might help keep things nice. you want something as waterproof as possible. there are some threads on here about the stuff, do try the search function.

ultimately you can either reject it and get another which MIGHT be better, buy a different bike with threaded BB, or try to fix it

Eyebrox

Postby Eyebrox » 13 Aug 2019, 5:09pm

I think the Triban 500 has a threaded BB.

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 13 Aug 2019, 5:26pm

Its probably loose scews in the pedals. Very common source of squeaks

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. CTC gone but not forgotten!

alexnharvey

Postby alexnharvey » 13 Aug 2019, 9:48pm

I think it might have an external threaded bottom bracket if it is recent (Sora r3000)? The cups could be squeaking in the frame or maybe the axle is moving and squeaking against the bearing. You might see some marks on the axle in the latter case. There's lots of discussion about creaking external BBs here and on other forums. I'm not very familiar with them myself.

If this is correct I suggest you put in writing for yourself and to them, the first date you notified them of the issue, their failed attempts to rectify it and how many more attempts you will allow before you seek a replacement or a refund. A good next step might be a new BB, hopefully installed by their best mechanic, rather than buggering about, taking it to bits, slathering the whole lot in grease and hoping for the best that time with no identification of the actual issue.

I'm not sure what is meant by

Its probably loose scews in the pedals. Very common source of squeaks

What screws in the pedals?

fatboy

Postby fatboy » 16 Aug 2019, 10:29pm

Looks like an external threaded bottom bracket. Whilst these are ubiquitous I gave up (on a different bike) and changed my chainset and bottom bracket for a square taper sealed unit coz it kept on creaking and squeaking.

I wonder if Shimano wanted to ship more bearings but putting them external as the old sealed square taper ones were very reliable.
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly

krt28

Postby krt28 » 18 Aug 2019, 5:42pm

Hi,
Thanks everyone for the advice - very useful.
Not entirely sure what to do now.

Re: the screws in the pedals - they have been taken off and re-greased a couple of times. Didn't seem to fix it.

This is the tech details (from the Decathlon site):
Shimano Sora R3000 shifters
Shimano Sora R3000 front derailleur
Shimano Sora R3000 9-speed rear derailleur with long screed

Crankset / cassette:

Microshift CS-H092 9V 11/32 cassette
(11/13/15/17/19/21/24/28/32).
Shimano Sora R3000 compact bottom bracket in 50/34.

Thanks,
Kieran