Headset bearing kit that will fit my current race?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
tommydog
Posts: 203
Joined: 11 Feb 2017, 6:48pm

Headset bearing kit that will fit my current race?

Postby tommydog » 12 Aug 2019, 5:47pm

I have lost some parts from my Headset bearing (compression ring etc), and can't get replacement parts. So I am looking at buying a whole kit with bearings if necessary. But any idea what kit I could buy that would fit my existing frame race? If possible I don't want to replace the frame race. Here are some pictures with measure:


FRAME RACE MEASURE
Image

EXISTING BEARING MEASURE
Image

Image

NickJP
Posts: 143
Joined: 24 Sep 2018, 7:11pm

Re: Headset bearing kit that will fit my current race?

Postby NickJP » 13 Aug 2019, 9:05am

From your photos it looks like a standard 1-1/8" headset with cups that press into the headtube. You can buy complete replacement headsets for just over a tenner - eg https://www.wiggle.co.uk/ritchey-logic-v2-headset/. If you want to do the replacement yourself, you'll need some means of banging the existing cups out and pressing the new ones in.

tommydog
Posts: 203
Joined: 11 Feb 2017, 6:48pm

Re: Headset bearing kit that will fit my current race?

Postby tommydog » 13 Aug 2019, 12:23pm

NickJP wrote:From your photos it looks like a standard 1-1/8" headset with cups that press into the headtube. You can buy complete replacement headsets for just over a tenner - eg https://www.wiggle.co.uk/ritchey-logic-v2-headset/. If you want to do the replacement yourself, you'll need some means of banging the existing cups out and pressing the new ones in.


Thanks for your reply. I am aware of those kits, but is there anything that will fit my existing cups? If possible I don't want to have to press new ones onto the frame?

NickJP
Posts: 143
Joined: 24 Sep 2018, 7:11pm

Re: Headset bearing kit that will fit my current race?

Postby NickJP » 14 Aug 2019, 4:06am

tommydog wrote:
NickJP wrote:From your photos it looks like a standard 1-1/8" headset with cups that press into the headtube. You can buy complete replacement headsets for just over a tenner - eg https://www.wiggle.co.uk/ritchey-logic-v2-headset/. If you want to do the replacement yourself, you'll need some means of banging the existing cups out and pressing the new ones in.


Thanks for your reply. I am aware of those kits, but is there anything that will fit my existing cups? If possible I don't want to have to press new ones onto the frame?

I believe Modus were made by VP Components, but they don't appear to make that model any longer, so you're probably out of luck unless you can find something used or NOS on fleabay: http://www.vpcomponents.com/product_categories/headsets/.

tommydog
Posts: 203
Joined: 11 Feb 2017, 6:48pm

Re: Headset bearing kit that will fit my current race?

Postby tommydog » 14 Aug 2019, 9:52am

Thanks for your added information. I have contacted VK components to see if they have anything that will fit, but as Modus is no longer made, it looks like I will have have to buy new cups. I was really hoping that I would find something generic that would fit without having to press new cups onto the frame.

gxaustin
Posts: 513
Joined: 23 Sep 2015, 12:07pm

Re: Headset bearing kit that will fit my current race?

Postby gxaustin » 14 Aug 2019, 11:34pm

The last time I fitted new cups in a head tube I first put them in the freezer (they were aluminium) and then was able to get them in with hand pressure (wear gloves). Have a length of threaded rod and a couple of big washers/nuts handy in case you need extra force.

tommydog
Posts: 203
Joined: 11 Feb 2017, 6:48pm

Re: Headset bearing kit that will fit my current race?

Postby tommydog » 15 Aug 2019, 9:44am

gxaustin wrote:The last time I fitted new cups in a head tube I first put them in the freezer (they were aluminium) and then was able to get them in with hand pressure (wear gloves). Have a length of threaded rod and a couple of big washers/nuts handy in case you need extra force.


What is the freezer logic? I thought putting them in the freezer would contract the metal and make it harder to get onto the frame?

gxaustin
Posts: 513
Joined: 23 Sep 2015, 12:07pm

Re: Headset bearing kit that will fit my current race?

Postby gxaustin » 21 Aug 2019, 12:34am

What is the freezer logic? I thought putting them in the freezer would contract the metal and make it harder to get onto the frame?


The cups are a push fit into the head tube. The bigger they are the harder they are to push in.