Gates Belt Drive question.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Ivor Tingting

Re: Gates Belt Drive question.

Postby Ivor Tingting » 14 Aug 2019, 4:52pm

Woodtourer wrote:My wife's bike has a Rohloff at present. But she has probation on her right ankle and she can't keep from getting chain lube all over. I usually use wax lube but we have been touring in Europe for 3 months and wax lube was not available when I needed more.
So thus the belt drive idea!

Why not get a Hebie Chainglider Guard? I have one on my bike. No more mess and the chain remains covered, nice and clean and lubed. Hebie makes them for the Rohlof approx £38 from SJS and Bike24 do them as well. The front chain ring needs to be either 38 or 42 teeth. They don't do a 40, but they do other sizes. This would seem to be your or your wifey's best solution.

Regarding Gates belt drive. Maybe you have not realised what is involved and the total cost to change your wifey's bike to belt drive? There are a number of factors to consider. Firstly is the frame stiff enough and has Rohloff accepted it is because if not, Rohloff won't honour their warranty for their Speedhub hub in frames that are not. Rohloff have a long list of frames on their website that they consider stiff enough. If your wifey's bike frame is not amongst them then you might be stuck or just carry on regardless. I know as I asked them. Then once you do have a suitable frame you need the break in the rear triangle typically a Paragon joiner if you don't have one already or some other way of getting the belt through the rear triangle. If you need a frame builder to put one in then this will cost you plus repaint as brazing will mean removed and discoloured paint work from the heat. You will need to find a frame builder that can do this. Then there is the new front Gates belt ring in place of the usual chain ring and a Gates/Rohloff specific rear sprocket. Then the cost of the belt itself £80. I would say allow at least £500 for the conversion if the bike frame is suitable. You don't say what make/model of bike your wifey has? I would go with a Hebie chain guard. A lot less hassle and a fraction of the cost.
"Zat is ze reel prowoking qwestion Mr Paxman." - Peer Steinbruck, German Finance Minister 31/03/2009.

Woodtourer

Re: Gates Belt Drive question.

Postby Woodtourer » 15 Aug 2019, 10:42am

Ivor, thanks for your reply!
Here bike has a split frame and is on Rohloff's list. Your suggestion about the Herbie is a good idea. I think I will give that a go.
The only concern I have is I can't monitor the chain to know when to take up the slack.