saddle shock absorber?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Si

saddle shock absorber?

Post by Si »

https://www.yucool.co.uk/collections/sp ... 6310314020

What do you think? Is anybody else a bit worried about the fatigue that those flexing rails will suffer, and it leading to you having a seat post inserted somewhere you really don't want to have a seat post inserted, or am I being overly worried?
pwa

Re: saddle shock absorber?

Post by pwa »

Imagine the problem getting the saddle angle right.
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

The rails are effectively acting as springs. Dependant upon the correct material being used they shouldn’t fatigue but I have concerns about how well the idea would work in practice and over a wide weight range. For those that want shock absorption there are other solutions on the market.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Could be just the thing you need if looking for an extended layback seat pin. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Si wrote:https://www.yucool.co.uk/collections/sports-equipmt/products/bike-shock-absorber?variant=12006310314020

What do you think? Is anybody else a bit worried about the fatigue that those flexing rails will suffer, and it leading to you having a seat post inserted somewhere you really don't want to have a seat post inserted, or am I being overly worried?

That would be my main concern especially with heavier riders,it all depends on the quality of the steel spring involved.
The 'suspension' system would need to be stiff enough to stop the saddle rocking from side to side(which is the opposite of something the makers seem to think is a virtue of it :? ) during pedalling,more so when putting power down,yet complient enough to provide enough support with the right amount of suspension.I would think moving the saddle clamp and seatpost further or nearer the fulcrum point would provide that support with a little trial and error.
I'd like to see an independent test on one by an experienced cyclist
Last edited by reohn2 on 16 Aug 2019, 12:01pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
pwa

Post by pwa »

Bounce could be a problem. There is no damping.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

With our powerful Bike Shock Absorber you are free from all the pain or discomfort that afflict all cyclists!
The only one that softens vibrations and impacts caused by the terrain we ride on, making your bike smoother and keeping your body healthy!

The loads on the spring rails are somewhat higher than you might see in a saddle rail, especially if the thing is set to its softest setting. Otherwise it offers almost exactly the same attributes/issues as you might get with a sprung brooks saddle, except that instead of a leather top, you get to use the saddle you are familiar with.
One of the things that you might not expect with this arrangement is that the torsional stiffness of the saddle mounting will be greatly reduced. You may or may not like this, but the saddle will be able to rock from side to side more easily.

It occurs to me that you could make slightly more sophisticated device using a pivoted frame with an elastomer block in it, that you could again vary in position so as to alter the spring rate. The elastomer would offer some damping.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Brucey wrote:.......It occurs to me that you could make slightly more sophisticated device using a pivoted frame with an elastomer block in it, that you could again vary in position so as to alter the spring rate. The elastomer would offer some damping.

cheers

Yep I think you're right elastomer and hinge would work better.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

An elastomer and spring would work well as per a car spring and shock?

I'm sure a spring stop from a hgv garage cut to sizw would suffice trimmed to suit the riders weight?

Cheers James
shobo

Post by shobo »

Could try the specialized CGR suspension seat pin, which has good reviews