Brake pad alignment tool

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
geomannie

Brake pad alignment tool

Post by geomannie »

Hi

Setting toe-in on rim brakes is one of those jobs which, while doable, is fiddly for me to get right first time. I have become aware of various brake pad alignment tools such as the Jagwire version https://jagwire.com/products/tools/brake-pad-tuner and the Trex design https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/tac ... -prod75821. I guess my questions are: do they work? are they worth using? which is better?

Thanks for your thoughts
geomannie
matt2matt2002

Re: Brake pad alignment tool

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Nice idea. It looks like something I could knock up in the shed with some wood off cuts.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

I use V brakes and have never had a problem by just holding the brake block in position against the rim and tightening the nut whilst holding the block to prevent it turning as the nut is torqued. If I needed tow-in I'd just use a piece of thin card between the rear of the block and the rim whilst doing the process described above.
rjb

Post by rjb »

fastpedaller wrote: If I needed tow-in I'd just use a piece of thin card between the rear of the block and the rim whilst doing the process described above.

Or wait for the postman and use an elastic band wrapped around the rear of the brake pad. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

For toe-in I use a 1/4” length of an old inner tube doubled up and wrapped around the trailing end of the brake block - if at all necessary. Park Tool recommend something similar, I recall.

Edit: there you go...

EF138345-FE3A-4F40-9FE0-548D3146870B.jpeg
Last edited by keyboardmonkey on 16 Aug 2019, 6:54pm, edited 1 time in total.
PH

Post by PH »

geomannie wrote: I guess my questions are: do they work? are they worth using?
Thanks for your thoughts

I have the Tacx one, yes it works, it isn't anything like necessary, though I find it one of those things that make a job just that little bit easier. It was most useful when I had some rims with a narrow brake track, the lip on he tool stops the pad twisting and by setting the pad against it I'd know that was as high as it could go without touching the tyre.
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

They look like one of those things that you didn't know you need because you didn't know they existed, but now you know, well, they could be useful. The Jagwire is much cheaper https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/162283047997
Richard M
Cardiff
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

richardfm wrote:They look like one of those things that you didn't know you need because you didn't know they existed, but now you know, well, they could be useful. The Jagwire is much cheaper https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/162283047997

At £5:10, why not? I have one bike with old school canti's that are a pig to set up.

Thanks for the link. Ordered.
geomannie
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

geomannie wrote:
richardfm wrote:They look like one of those things that you didn't know you need because you didn't know they existed, but now you know, well, they could be useful. The Jagwire is much cheaper https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/162283047997

At £5:10, why not? I have one bike with old school canti's that are a pig to set up.

Thanks for the link. Ordered.

Yes, I ordered one as well
Richard M
Cardiff
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

fastpedaller wrote:I use V brakes and have never had a problem by just holding the brake block in position against the rim and tightening the nut whilst holding the block to prevent it turning as the nut is torqued. If I needed tow-in I'd just use a piece of thin card between the rear of the block and the rim whilst doing the process described above.

Ditto - the card the pads are attached to is usually about the right thicknes.Fold it over so it ca e hooked over the pad. Used to be ablt to get pads with a pimple on the trailing edge specifically to help lining up, but can't remember what they were - maybe Koolstops?
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

Most of the time toe-in is un-desirable and unnecessary. It can be tried as a last resort if nothing else works to stop brake squeal. It will cause the pads to wear unevenly, even if the brake arm twists a little to bring the rear of the pads into contact with the rim. I did buy a tacx toe-in guide once, only ever used it about once and in any case the plastic wasn't rough enough to stop the pad from rotating as it was tightened. If you really need it a thick bit of rough cardboard works better at the rear of the pad.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

As mentioned previously, all new brake pads come with a toe in tool. Just use a strip of the carboard packing.
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

Redvee wrote:As mentioned previously, all new brake pads come with a toe in tool. Just use a strip of the carboard packing.

I understand this. My problem is that these old school canti's remain a pig to set up.
IMG_20190817_081234.jpg
geomannie
rjb

Post by rjb »

You have my sympathy, I have always found them difficult to set up. The toe in out is set by adjusting that serrated washer between the brake arm and the stud on the shoe. It helps when setting them up to clean everything and grease lightly all the parts which can move or need to move in setting. I use an Allen key in the front bolt and hold everything in place, check the pad alignment and adjust this before tightening the rear clamp nut. Trying to do all this while the spring is trying to pull it away from the rim is a challenge. :)
But when set up they are very good brakes which don't need a lot of attention. :D
Your brakes look like you can release the spring tension, can't quite see but on several of these models you can't like mine which adds to further frustration.
IMG_20190817_170716_172.JPG
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D