Disc frame touring build..or just go buy a bike?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
NetworkMan

Re: Disc frame touring build..or just go buy a bike?

Post by NetworkMan »

I have the rim brake kinlin xr22t on my spa steel tourer with 37mm hypers. The 19 mm internal width is fine with the tyres and it's a lightweight combination. I'd imagine the disc version would be fine too. Spa built them up 32 hole with Deore hubs.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

The 1.5 watt XT won't charge didly squat. I know this because I had one.
It will however run lights without issue.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
boink

Post by boink »

The 1.5 watt XT won't charge didly squat. I know this because I had one

Thanks Bill. I'll look at something more powerful.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

slowster wrote:I could not find the wheels on Rose Bikes' website that reohn2 mentioned except in 26" size,

It's a while since I looked on there,but just taken a look and though I can find 719 rims in 700C and the M756 XT hubs I can't find a built wheel set.
That said Rose used to offer a build service where you specify components and add an amount for building but I again I seem to find that on their site ATM,and their prices aren't as competitive as they were,which I'm putting down to the crash in the £ against the € :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
PH

Post by PH »

boink wrote:
The 1.5 watt XT won't charge didly squat. I know this because I had one

Thanks Bill. I'll look at something more powerful.

Yes, I did initially recommend if you were only considering lighting. I recently bought a DEORE LX dynamo wheel from Rose, I was going to build my own but it worked out the same price as the components, it's for a bike I wasn't too fussy about the rim and I wanted centrelock, £112 including delivery. On other bikes I have SP and Schmidt dynamos, they all work fine, though there's a concerning number of reports of SP's failing and a Schmidt will blow your budget. As with the rims, you'll decide where to spend the money and where to compromise.
boink

Post by boink »

Just looking into buying a set of Avid BB7 disc brakes for the build. Options include mountain bike and road. I'll be running 700c wheels and flat bars on the Camino build. Question is are these ok for the job? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Avid-BB7-Mountain-Mechanical-Disc-Brake-Front-Rear-Caliper-HS1-160mm-Rotor/192624002341?hash=item2cd9490525:m:moistFO89MyNSUOhZyLz6Nw
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

boink wrote:Just looking into buying a set of Avid BB7 disc brakes for the build. Options include mountain bike and road. I'll be running 700c wheels and flat bars on the Camino build. Question is are these ok for the job? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Avid-BB7-Mountain-Mechanical-Disc-Brake-Front-Rear-Caliper-HS1-160mm-Rotor/192624002341?hash=item2cd9490525:m:moistFO89MyNSUOhZyLz6Nw

If your levers have the correct pull for V-brakes, and the BB7s are 'Mountain' type (not 'road' type) then you have a compatible combination in mind.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
slowster

Post by slowster »

Get these levers:

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/brake-levers/shimano-deore-lx-blt670-trekking-v-brake-levers/

They don't come with cables, but in any case standard cables are not as good as compressionless, especially for cable disc brakes. So get this compressionless cable set:

https://www.highonbikes.com/jagwire-mountain-pro-mtb-brake-cable-set.html

EDIT - The above brake levers are a 'three finger' design, which I prefer because I use them with bars with a lot of backsweep which are fitted with long grips. I think such bars, e.g. like the Humpert Aerowing are a better choice for touring than standard MTB riser bars, and with the long levers I can reach the brakes wherever my hands are on the bars despite the long grip section. If you prefer bars with a short grip like a standard MTB riser bar, then I suspect you would find a shorter brake lever like the Avid Speed Dial 7 levers to be a better choice.
boink

Post by boink »

Thanks chaps. Got the avids and the dial levers as I am using a mountain bike riser bar. Found a set of new, black mavic allroad gravel bike disc wheels for good £150 so gone with those and a set of Vitoria Revolution 700x 35s from Planet X. Clincher, not tubeless. It'll be Spa for the touring triple then a bit of hunting around for cassette, deraillers and shifters. Nothing too fancy, just reliable. Thinking 21 speed and friction shifters.

Down the line I'd definitely like a reliable phone charging dynamo but that can wait for a bit. My problem is that I like pushing a big gear on the flat but need a gentle walking pace gear on the occasional steep hill. Once had a bodged together triple involving 52 down to 22...which routinely dropped the chain. A megarange casette was mentioned in the past to avoid the need for a super granny. Again, any recommendations that give the best of both world very much appreciated. Can a MB megarange compensate for a small front ring of 30 or 28?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

boink wrote:Thanks chaps. Got the avids and the dial levers as I am using a mountain bike riser bar. Found a set of new, black mavic allroad gravel bike disc wheels for good £150 so gone with those and a set of Vitoria Revolution 700x 35s from Planet X. Clincher, not tubeless. It'll be Spa for the touring triple then a bit of hunting around for cassette, deraillers and shifters. Nothing too fancy, just reliable. Thinking 21 speed and friction shifters. ...

the freehub body will be the right size for an 11s cassette; unless you are going to shorten it, you may as well have at least 8 sprockets...?

What size high/low gear would you be happy with? Have you got any transmission parts that you intend to use?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
boink

Post by boink »

Brucey, I'm thinking 48, 36, 26 front and an 11 to 34 (if 8 speed) cassette on the back. That should be enough to bail me out on the steep stuff if I'm touring light. 4 pannier bag days are over I think, at least on this bike.
boink

Post by boink »

And I've decided I'm going to sell my old spa tourer intact Brucey, so need everything transmission wise from scratch. Thinking more tourney/claris level than deore to save few quid. Never tried SRAM kit (or Campag).