Covering black crank marks

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Sweep

Covering black crank marks

Postby Sweep » 22 Aug 2019, 7:24am

Have acquired a second hand black crankset for a bikebuild.

Black can look quite nice but of course is prone to scratching.

One of the cranks has a big section where the paint has come off, probably because it lead an MTB life.

Any recommendations about what to cover it with?

Or would you just leave well alone and treat as battle scars, even on a new build?
Sweep

reohn2

Re: Covering black crank marks

Postby reohn2 » 22 Aug 2019, 7:45am

It's termed as 'patina',it shows it's being used,I'd leave it :wink: .
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 22 Aug 2019, 7:49am

reohn2 wrote:It's termed as 'patina',it shows it's being used,I'd leave it :wink: .

Isn't patina lots of small scratches though?
This is a fairly large area.
Sweep

Vantage

Postby Vantage » 22 Aug 2019, 7:58am

Battle scars only applies if made by the owner. If made by someone else then it's neglect. :mrgreen:

I'm no expert (complete and utter amateur actually) but wouldn't roughing it up with wet'n'dry, primer and a coat of matt black do the job? Or ordinary black and matt clearcoat might be better.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 22 Aug 2019, 8:04am

Sweep wrote:
reohn2 wrote:It's termed as 'patina',it shows it's being used,I'd leave it :wink: .

OK,call it distressed then :wink:
My Longitude's cranks have large areas of the black anodising rubbed off with winter riding in boots and over shoes,I just see it as wear/use.
I'm quite fussy about how my bike looks,an extension of my character if you like,but I realise that theypre's not much point in trying to keep it looking like new,that to my mind would be a bit AR and clinical.
If you're sure there's a good chance it won't rub off again you could spray paint it black with an aerosol followed up with a few coats of clear coat ,but make sure you 'key' the surface to be sprayed first with 320grit abrasive paper, then wash it before spraying.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 22 Aug 2019, 10:56am

reohn2 wrote:
Sweep wrote:

OK,call it distressed then :wink:
My Longitude's cranks have large areas of the black anodising rubbed off with winter riding in boots and over shoes,I just see it as wear/use.
I'm quite fussy about how my bike looks,an extension of my character if you like,but I realise that theypre's not much point in trying to keep it looking like new,that to my mind would be a bit AR and clinical.
If you're sure there's a good chance it won't rub off again you could spray paint it black with an aerosol followed up with a few coats of clear coat ,but make sure you 'key' the surface to be sprayed first with 320grit abrasive paper, then wash it before spraying.

Thanks reohn - may try - I bought the crankset as its Shimano ST - which I prefer to outboard bearings. New ST cranksets no longer available from the big S in the form I wanted.

May try your tip later.

Like your definition of battle scars/neglect Vantage.

The "battle scars" label helped me come to terms with the pretty terrible damage I inflicted on my Exped tourer's top tube.
Sweep

yostumpy

Postby yostumpy » 22 Aug 2019, 10:04pm

you could always dunks the lot in a bowl of caustic soda so that they are silver.

ImageWP_20160721_11_01_59_Pro by mark tilley, on Flickr

ImageWP_20160721_11_10_29_Pro by mark tilley, on Flickr

ImageWP_20160721_10_48_03_Pro by mark tilley, on Flickr

NickJP

Postby NickJP » 26 Aug 2019, 12:08pm

If the black is anodising, you could remove the anodising. A good article on the process of doing that is here: http://www.lixbmx.com/de-anodising.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 26 Aug 2019, 2:17pm

I did that with some black Campag chainrings.
Trouble is, after removing the blackness, you are left with bare aluminium that tarnishes in no time at all.
I sold the rings soon after.

Best thing perhaps, is to polish them, then coat them in clear hard lacquer.
Mick F. Cornwall

alexnharvey

Postby alexnharvey » 26 Aug 2019, 3:29pm

A black polyurethane protection tape might cover the wear and also prevent further rubbing.
Last edited by alexnharvey on 26 Aug 2019, 3:31pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ray

Postby Ray » 26 Aug 2019, 3:29pm

Glossy black nail varnish covers scratches/gouges well, is cheap, and comes with a small brush in the lid. I got mine at Barnsley market, but you'd probably find some in outlets frequented by Goths.
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell

peetee

Postby peetee » 26 Aug 2019, 4:30pm

If you are going to use the bike for commuting I would suggest covering the crank with a self adhesive reflective sheet. Very effective in use as it 'flashes' as your leg passes in front.
Current status report:
Latter side of fifty and feeling less than nifty.
Too many bikes on pegs and too few miles in the legs.

JohnW

Postby JohnW » 28 Aug 2019, 1:02am

Just ride it - you'll soon stop noticing it. If you paint it, you'll soon rub the paint off. Just enjoy riding it.