Shimano M324 pedal prob

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
NetworkMan

Re: Shimano M324 pedal prob

Postby NetworkMan » 21 Sep 2019, 11:04am

Anyone tried Rose Bikes offering
https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/rose-pro-du ... e=Standard
The alloy cage makes them 180g lighter than the M324 according to Rose. I wonder how the elastomer inserts will last though. They have a cheaper own brand Xtreme version but the reviews aren't so good. Prices at Rose for the 324 seem to have gone crazy, IIRC I paid well under £30 4 years ago.
Edit: The Rose ones seem to be more expensive than '324 from UK suppliers now - shame.

zenitb

Postby zenitb » 21 Sep 2019, 2:43pm

Brucey wrote:Image01437.jpg

this shows PD-M324 with 'O' rings fitted in place of the original seals. Easy to install, works well, costs pennies.

[edit; the O rings I used were 12.7mm ID, 17.5mm OD, ~2.4mm cross section, i.e. 1/2" bore, 3/32" section]

cheers

Interesting Brucey...I still have two pairs of the original version of th PD-M324..the "black and silver" PD- M323. I bought these pedals around 1995 and after years of use the rubber seals have perished, shrunk and cracked, and don't seal at all now .. I have several pairs of the newer PD-M234s to replace them but maybe your "O" ring fix would be a way to resuscitate at least one of my old pair of PD-M323s.. :-)

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 21 Sep 2019, 3:19pm

NetworkMan wrote:Anyone tried Rose Bikes offering
The alloy cage makes them 180g lighter than the M324 according to Rose. I wonder how the elastomer inserts will last though. They have a cheaper own brand Xtreme version but the reviews aren't so good. Prices at Rose for the 324 seem to have gone crazy, IIRC I paid well under £30 4 years ago.
Edit: The Rose ones seem to be more expensive than '324 from UK suppliers now - shame.

Interesting but they are cartridge bearings.
And anything to do with "adjustable" elastomers puts me off after experiences with a suspension hub. I like to keep things simple these days.
Sweep

NetworkMan

Postby NetworkMan » 21 Sep 2019, 4:23pm

Sweep wrote:
NetworkMan wrote:Anyone tried Rose Bikes offering

Interesting but they are cartridge bearings.
And anything to do with "adjustable" elastomers puts me off after experiences with a suspension hub. I like to keep things simple these days.

Oh ^%&^%& they are too, I read the details but missed the summary!

nigelnightmare

Postby nigelnightmare » 21 Sep 2019, 10:41pm

Sorry Sweep no link as I bought them in a bike shop in Lossiemouth (MORAY) 3yrs ago and haven't seen any since.
They're brilliant because they hang at the right angle to clip in for the recumbent trike.