Dynamo USB charger options?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
wheel71

Dynamo USB charger options?

Post by wheel71 »

Any opinions on a decent USB charging system on a budget?
I just got an exposure/shutter precision hub but am not too up on the old dynamo thing so any advice welcome. I was thinking of just charging a battery pack but looking at the prices of USB chargers is it worth getting a front light with a charging output?
And please try not to confuse me too much, I can do nuts and bolts but am no electrician. :D
yutkoxpo

Re: Dynamo USB charger options?

Post by yutkoxpo »

A recent thread on the topic is here: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=131322&hilit=usb+charging
It goes a bit awry near the end, though.

First of all what wattage is your hub? I think it needs to be at least 3,5W to be useful for anything other than lights.

I use a Power2Charge unit (available from Amazon) and find it perfectly adequate. I'm sure there are better options, but it is simple, discreet and reliable. I charge a powerbank and use that to charge whatever needs charging. I never plug delicate electronics directly into the charger. I have had it for 3 years.

I chose not to combine a light and usb. I want my light to be a light and my charger to be a charger, not a jack of all trades. But, I depend on my charger when on tour. Your needs may be different.

Speed is the obvious factor in all this. If you're not travelling fast enough you won't generate anything, no matter how expensive your system is.
With 26 inch wheels, 2 inch tyres I'll generate power @ 13kph.
wheel71

Post by wheel71 »

Thanks, I'll trawl through that thread.

It'll be used probably only for charging a battery pack on long (multi day) audax rides and short light touring on my Genesis eqilibrium. Speed shouldn't be a problem.
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

I use a B&M e-werks and their cache battery simply because all the joints are waterproof up to the back of the sat nav.
I haven't needed to charge my sat nav since I set it up in april.
But I don't need it to charge anything else due to having a big solar panel and an e-werks on my trailer.

YMMV .......... :D
wheel71

Post by wheel71 »

I read the other thread and learnt a lot about what is available.
Looks like a choice between e-werk, cycle2charge or velo charger. Quite liking the cycle2charge.