Compressed air gubbins

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Cugel

Compressed air gubbins

Post by Cugel »

At some point I'll need to change a tubeless tyre and various opinions seem to indicate that a compressed air blower of some sort may be needed to "pop" the new tyre on to the rim.

In addition, I need to clean some computer equipment of accumulated dust - a large monitor in particular - which requires some high-speed air to blow it out, as putting fingers, brushes or wiping cloths into a computer monitor inner gubbins is said to be fraught with the danger of electrocution from various high voltage capacitors. I don't want to use those disposable gas canisters full of gawd-knows what; which are also landfill and expensive to boot.

Is there a-one o' them blow-up high pressure tanks that would work with for both tasks? The airshot style thingies look a bit on/off or one-burst .... but the air squirts to the computer gubbins would need to be more controlled - very short blasts at various angles until no more dust emerges from the case.

Any advice from users of an air-shot type thingy will be gratefully received.

Cugel

PS I don't want a motorised compressor - too expensive for such a rare-use thing.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Brucey

Re: Compressed air gubbins

Post by Brucey »

probably you can adapt an airshot device (eg with a valve in the end, or a cheap blowgun fitting) to turn it into a controllable puffer for cleaning purposes. But having said that many track pumps come with a pointed nozzle (for inflating airbeds etc) and this would make a reasonable puffer provided you can work the pump OK.

Note that the air that comes out of your pump is possibly contaminated with dust, moisture, pump lubricant, etc. You may not want to be blowing that into the most delicate workings.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NetworkMan

Post by NetworkMan »

For computer equipment I tend to suck rather than blow using the crevice tool and also a mini tool kit:-
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Spares2go-Univ ... 0143&psc=1
... which I've found very useful for many jobs.
Is it an old fashioned monitor with a CRT? If not there won't be any particularly high voltages left lurking on the capacitors. Most of these sucking devices are in any case non conducting plastic.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

I have a small 8-bar electric compressor that I use for the car tyres, blasting out computers, driving a nail gun and chasing the dogs out of the workshop. Could also put a paint spray onto it, or fill a compressed-air reservoir so as not to have to cart the whole thing about.

Compressor cost around 80€, nail gun similar, 5 metres of extra hose about 20€. Brilliant.

Only drawbacks are that small compressors have small tanks and are pretty noisy when running.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

A friend made a tank from a 2ltr Coke bottle which you pump with a track pump for just this reason , apparently if you search internet You tube you find a number of cheap DIY solutions.
NUKe