Rear wheel problem

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
nigelnightmare

Re: Rear wheel problem

Post by nigelnightmare »

If as Brucey said if you can get the parts for around £150 then the shop is ONLY charging you £80 to do the work and as others have stated a full service costs around £100+ parts.
As you said you like the bike and have modified it.
If you were going to do the work yourself you'll need Specific tools which can be expensive, somewhere to work on it AND the time to do it.

All in all the LBS sounds very reasonable to me.

Even though I do All my own repairs/maintenance.
I'd advise that you get the LBS to do it this time and then learn how to maintain it yourself, buying the tools you need as you need them.

Lots of good info on the internet/YouTube.

JMTPW
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

How about this: I bet you have changed a tyre and therefore have taken a wheel off.
So buy a wheel from Decathlon - £35 + freewheel £10 + chain £10. I know plenty of people who have stuff from Decathlon and it's pretty robust. You could upgrade to a 7 speed cassette/freehub for a bit more.
Screw freewheel to wheel - no tools required. Swap tyre and tube (you can do that).
Mount in frame with new chain. I'm assuming you have changed a chain but if not its on youtube. Chain tool costs a few quid. Chain comes with a quick link.
So far its cost about £50.
That gets you going and then take it for a service.
My local Decathlon has a mechanic so they may do it for you at a decent price.
pyruse

Post by pyruse »

Just for reference. Recently had a problem with my bike (a 15 year old Dawes) where the pedals would go round but the back wheel didn't. Sometimes fixable by back pedalling. Evidently a knackered freewheel - showed up when the weather got colder and the grease presumably thicker. Anyway, took into local bike shop for repair and a service, and when they looked at it they pointed out that chain + gears + derailleur were all knackered. Not a big surprise to me as the bike has done a lot of miles and the gear change has been getting more and more iffy recently.
So replaced all of that, plus new brake blocks. 150 pounds, which I don't think is bad at all, and certainly cheaper than a new bike (equivalent bike is about 400 pounds). Replaced saddle earlier this year and pedals last year, back wheel about 5 years ago.
I think that now means pretty much everything apart from the frame has been replaced on this bike!
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

A bit like Trigger's broom then!