Mount that allows front lamp to tilt on the go (dipped versus full beam)

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
pwa

Re: Mount that allows front lamp to tilt on the go (dipped versus full beam)

Post by pwa »

I know that if I had a headlight I habitually adjusted during rides I would end up in a hedge. The mechanism would need to be very accessible and not require me to glance down for it to be safe in my hands.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

I used to dip mine by tipping it forward in the bracket. Worked quite well until the bracket sheared.

Best solution I've seen was side-by-side identical lamps with a switch to select one or the other. Pricey with decent lamps, though.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

I use ones with those rubber O rings. They last for years and all you do is just push the light down to dip.
pwa

Post by pwa »

If it were me and my pockets were feeling especially deep, I'd look at one of those very expensive (£245!!!!) STVZO lights that Exposure are now making, which I presume will take the toggle switch thing their lamps usually take, allowing you to move between 2 or 3 settings that you yourself have chosen. Their run times are phenomenal, so I'd be expecting to be able to light up a very dark lane for at least 10 hours even if it was my main light.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Exposure Lights come with a remote switch that can be placed somewhere handy, say on the hoods, and used to switch between various settings in the same way as the normal switch. However, I haven't used it and I can't remember how long the cable is. In any case, it's not going to suit Samuel's situation.
nigelnightmare

Post by nigelnightmare »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Cycl ... Sw0LhcUGyp

If you're flush at the moment you could get the above^^^ Needs a new battery though!
gaz

Post by gaz »

BITD I had a Night Sun. It was bright but ...

Scatter gun approach for both lamps, neither of which could be aimed independently. I can't remember the wattage of either, possibly 10W and 20W running off a 12v NiCad battery pack in a bottle.

Battery life was poor, both in terms of run-time and how long it managed to survive my (poor) charging regime.

When the low-wattage bulb blew I was unable to find a replacement at either the LBS where I purchased or the local lighting/DIY stores (pre-internet, nowhere else to try). I switched to Cat-Eye Daylites, perfectly adequate but still a scatter gun.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade