Pedal Standardisation

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Mick F
Spambuster

Pedal Standardisation

Post by Mick F »

Not wishing to standardise all pedals or dictate what cyclists should/must use .............. but I'm getting tired of having two completely different systems on both my usual bikes.

Mercian has Campag Pro Fit road pedals, and Moulton has Speedplay Frog pedals.

Since buying Moulton in early March 2016, I've done 7,800miles on it on 360rides.
Mercian on the other hand, took a back seat. Only 1,700miles on only 71rides since buying Moulton.

................. sorry, I keep records. :oops:

Been riding Mercian the past few rides, and TBH, the road pedal system is a pain in the bum compared to Speedplay Frogs.
Seriously considering ditching the road pedals and fitting Frogs to Mercian.

Advantages:
Easy peasy to clip in and out.
Double-sided.
Small and simple, and walkable footware.
Absolutely wonderful float ................... and knocks spots off Shimano SPDs.
Same shoes .............. and I can use sandals too.

Trouble is, I can't find Speedplay Frog pedals in UK in stainless steel.
http://www.speedplay.com/index.cfm?fuse ... .frogspecs
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/speedplay-frog ... ss-pedals/
https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/speedpla ... ss-pedals/
I've emailed Wiggle and Ribble.

Bike24 have them, but expensive ............. plus delivery.
https://www.bike24.com/p26104.html
Mick F. Cornwall
Brucey

Re: Pedal Standardisation

Post by Brucey »

Mick F wrote:…. Absolutely wonderful float ................... and knocks spots off Shimano SPDs.....

IIRC your experience of SPDs may have been coloured by use of some PD-A525 pedals?

these are 'first generation' SPD pedals and only work properly if you use the matching cleats. Shimano revised the cleats in ~1997 and (maddeningly) kept the same part numbers for the new style cleats, even though they are quite different, duh. If you use the revised (current) cleats in older SPD pedals then there is basically no float; it is an easy mistake to make.

You can identify first generation SPD pedals because the rear jaw has a narrower notch in it, with more angled sides. The second generation of SPDs includes PD-M520 and you can see the different jaw shape here;

You get rather more float with matching parts, and more float with second generation cleats/pedals too.

Speedplay pedals have their advocates for sure but it may be that you have not had a representative experience with SPDs.

No pedal system is 'perfect' or suits everyone but you might get on better with SPDs if you use a matching set of parts.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PH

Post by PH »

Mick F wrote:Since buying Moulton in early March 2016, I've done 7,800miles on it on 360rides.
Mercian on the other hand, took a back seat. Only 1,700miles on only 71rides since buying Moulton.

Why do you think that is?
OT or maybe a different thread altogether, but I find that interesting in itself.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

I have the Shimano PD-M520's on all my bikes .. all road bikes ... whats not to like ... 5*
They pass the ultimate component test ... when riding you don't have any thought about then ... they just do what they do ...
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

PH wrote:
Mick F wrote:Since buying Moulton in early March 2016, I've done 7,800miles on it on 360rides.

OT or maybe a different thread altogether, but I find that interesting in itself.
Yes, it's a different subject and thread altogether!

I've fretted about this post of mine for a few days, and finally decided to put it on here to get it off my chest.
Yes, Brucey, you are spot on about the pedals, but it doesn't matter really. I'm in love with Speedplay Frogs, as they are absolutely brilliant. Skating on ice is an expression about these pedals. You don't even know you're clipped in as you feel free ....... but yet connected. Love them to bits.

Moulton is a delight to ride, but heavy and slow.
I've found .......... because I keep records ......... that I lose one minute per mile compared to riding Mercian. Remember, this is Cornwall and there are hills, and Moulton is heavy, and absorptive so it's slower climbing. Climbing hills slows you down overall despite the accompanying downhills.

Why do we ride bicycles?
Could be a quick and easy commute and cheap too?
Could be a nice relaxing way to enjoy some freedom of the open road?
Could be a great way of keeping fit and enjoying the open road?
Could be a challenge to ride hills and do some good distances?
Could be a complete amalgam of the whole lot, plus even more reasons?

If I were to ride 50miles for fun, would I want to ride it slow or would I want to ride it fast?
What about having satisfaction of getting home nice and tired?
Why not do 25miles for the same effort as 50miles, or even 100miles to see new places?
Why not tow a couple of concrete blocks in a trailer behind?
Why not ride a Moulton rather than a fast road bike?
Why do I ride a bike at all?

I was never fitter than finishing my JOGLE on the Raleigh Chopper with a fully loaded trailer behind me, and riding Mercian after that was terrific.

No answer to all those questions. Just the way I'm thinking.

Comfort and effort and fitness and happiness.
I don't want or need road pedals any more. Speedplay Frogs are wonderful. I want them on both bikes.

Thoughts are difficult to write down. Sorry if I'm rambling.
Mick F. Cornwall
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

It makes sense to standardise across the range of your clipless pedal bikes. I have four drop bar bikes that are set up clipless. Apart from when I put the M324s on my touring bike when it is used for pootling about I have SPD-SL on all four. It’s about convenience and being too tight to buy a second pair of cycling shoes.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

'Moulton a delight to ride, but heavy and slow' Both are true?
Please to describe/explain why you ride it more
Do you only have two cycles? :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
PH

Post by PH »

Mick F wrote:
PH wrote:

Yes, it's a different subject and thread altogether!

Ha, I'll leave it at that, I couldn't say why my favourite bike is also my least ridden, there just always seems to be a good reason to use one of the others.
drossall

Post by drossall »

keyboardmonkey wrote:It makes sense to standardise across the range of your clipless pedal bikes. I have four drop bar bikes that are set up clipless. Apart from when I put the M324s on my touring bike when it is used for pootling about I have SPD-SL on all four. It’s about convenience and being too tight to buy a second pair of cycling shoes.

Yes it does. But I've got SPDs on several machines, Looks on one, Diadoras on one (unlikely most people have seen those), toe clips on another and one with just rat-trap pedals.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Diadora power drive?

never seen in the flesh.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
drossall

Post by drossall »

That's the ones. I've still got them on my old road bike. I also have a spare set that I removed from a low-profile machine when I sold it. I had found that, however low its profile might be, mine wasn't going below "down a bit" :oops:
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Perhaps someone needs to invent quick release cleats, for quick release shoes for quick release pedlas for quick release .... Stuff it, where's my flats and gaffer tape :-)
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Cyril Haearn wrote:'Moulton a delight to ride, but heavy and slow' Both are true?
Please to describe/explain why you ride it more
Do you only have two cycles? :wink:
Yes, two, though I do have access to a couple more.

Moulton is REALLY a delight to ride.
Comfortable, versatile, quirky and fun, and now I've sorted the gearing, I can climb the steepest hills with ease, and fly along down the other side. Gearing from 16" up to 135".

It's slow overall. Not slow at any one point, but as it weighs 30odd pounds as opposed to 23lbs of Mercian, it's very noticeable. Try lifting them, and it's a bit of a heave for Moulton, but Mercian is easy and can lifted be one-handed.
(Note to self: weigh Moulton and record the figure)
It's not just the weight. Load up Mercian to be the same weight, and Mercian would still be much faster.

I ride it more. Why?
I can get the same exercise and fun for fewer miles. I don't have to set a day aside for a decent ride.
I can ride on little Cornish and English lanes and not care about the chevrons on the map.
Rough roads aren't an issue, so exploring is easy.
Because it's slower, heavier and comfortable, I can take my time - as I'm forced to - and enjoy the view.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

PS:
I still want another pair of Frogs.

I may swap them from Moulton onto Mercian and see how I feel.
Mick F. Cornwall
rfryer

Post by rfryer »

It looks as though, although the Frogs don't seem to be discontinued, Speedplay are putting a lot more focus on the Syzr, which seems to be aimed at the same market segment. I'd like to try them, but I'd miss the simplicity of the Frog design, which is pretty much faultless.