Quill stem to A head adapter frozen in steerer

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
531colin

Re: Quill stem to A head adapter frozen in steerer

Postby 531colin » 6 Sep 2019, 9:22am

Internal diameter of the steerer is 22.2mm
External diameter of the steerer is 25.4mm
External diameter of the adapter is 22mm, stepping up to 25mm at the top. The threaded headset won't pass over this. The spacer/shim is to fit an inch and eighth stem to an inch steerer (adapter).

I'm with Brucey, I suspect all it needs is a sharp crack with a one pound hammer, metal to metal. It seems to be the shock that breaks the bond.

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 6 Sep 2019, 9:28am

531colin wrote:Internal diameter of the steerer is 22.2mm
External diameter of the adapter is 22mm, stepping up to 25mm at the top. The threaded headset won't pass over this. The spacer/shim is to fit an inch and eighth stem to an inch steerer (adapter).

I'm with Brucey, I suspect all it needs is a sharp crack with a one pound hammer, metal to metal. It seems to be the shock that breaks the bond.

You don't mean a metal headed hammer do you colin?
Wouldn't you use a soft/nylon/rubber/leather headed hammer?
Sweep

531colin

Postby 531colin » 6 Sep 2019, 9:52am

Sweep wrote:
531colin wrote:Internal diameter of the steerer is 22.2mm

You don't mean a metal headed hammer do you colin?
Wouldn't you use a soft/nylon/rubber/leather headed hammer?

Of course I mean metal to metal.
With the forks out, where is the harm?
If the headset is to be replaced, where is the harm of giving it a crack with the forks in?
As somebody said up thread, even better if the forks are supported under the crown.
It seems to me its the shock that breaks the bond. I wouldn't be surprised if thermal shock would work, but I've never had dry ice to hand.

What I would avoid is scoring up the steerer, producing a stress-raiser.

Pneumant

Postby Pneumant » 6 Sep 2019, 7:21pm

Blackredgold1964 wrote:Hi All,
The quill stem to A head adapter is frozen in the steerer.
This video goes through all the stages (degreaser, vinegar, tapping with hammer, and finally sawing out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GRbdnTRH-4

I've so far done only the beginning stage, i.e. taped the top of the adapter, put the bike upside down, sprayed a whole can of Halfords Releaser oil via several stages into the steerer. However, it doesn't move. The taping of the gaps in the steerer was not successful anyway, the oil dripped out very quickly.
I think the adapter does not have a 'wedge' but a 'disc' shaped thing at the bottom. I removed the very long screw and the 'disc' came loose. It is now no longer horizontal as it should be but vertical in the steerer.
I'll go next week to the bike shop and I assume someone has to saw the adapter out eventually.
Or would someone have an idea that's not mentioned above of in the video?.
Thanks in advance
Blackredgold
steerer.JPG

The adapter is scrap so I would recommend a heat gun with good quality mole grips, be careful with the heating as the price could be blistered frame paint.
Heat the top part of the adapter for 30 seconds or so and then apply a squirt of penetrating oil. The heat helps the oil penetrate. Then start gently rocking the adapter left and right (to turn within the steerer) with the mole grips. Be patient and repeat the heat / oil application. The gentle rocking in both directions should slowly free it off. Decent heat gun & mole grips available from Screwfix.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/energer-enb4 ... /59740#_=p
https://www.screwfix.com/p/milwaukee-cu ... 50mm/890fj

MikeDee

Postby MikeDee » 7 Sep 2019, 3:30pm

This is what Jobst Brandt said about the subject https://yarchive.net/bike/frozen_stem_remove.html

Blackredgold1964

Postby Blackredgold1964 » 7 Sep 2019, 7:51pm

Hi All,
This has been fascinating reading, the pinned thread on this forum about seat post removal, the Sheldon Brown article, with those chemicals dissolving aluminium, Jobst Brand, and all the many suggestions made here. Still, I took it to the shop today as I don't have time to do all that, besides, the to top race of the headset couldn't be unscrewed, so another problem.

The 28 year old frame is probably not worth the effort put into it, but I'm reluctant to throw things away, for eco reasons. I've been frustrated too often by my cars, white goods and electronics which at some points are always beyond 'economical repair'.

So, there will be a bill to pay from the bike shop but I'll be happy for next 10 or so years.

MikeDee

Postby MikeDee » 7 Sep 2019, 8:42pm

TooManyBikes wrote:Lots of heat to clamp area to expand it via plumbers butane torch or hot air gun, remove 2 clamp bolts and use a flat blade screwdriver cautiously to spread the gap in the clamping area, while trying to twist bars? just an idea.

Heat won't work because aluminum has a higher coefficient of expansion than steel. It will just make the aluminum quill tighter in the steel steerer tube. Freezing might work (packing the quill with dry ice).

fausto99

Postby fausto99 » 7 Sep 2019, 8:44pm

Have to say I disagree with JB re Al oxide. I had success getting a seized Al seat post out of a steel mtb frame using ammonia.